1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Transcoding Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by betamac, May 15, 2004.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i am gona get a plasma and after speaking with AVsales they recomended i upgrade my Sony 1080 Amp to Denon AVR-3805 AV Amplifier

Because it could handle all my video sources and upscare to component so basically i could have just 1 VGA cable going from Amp to Plasma save so much hassle

what i am wondering is there any other Amps which do this which are in a better price point as £800 is alot of money and although i am sure the Amp rocks i was enquiring about a cheaper Amp which does the same sort of thing?

Thanks in advance

2. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Look at the new Yamaha RXV750. This is available for £420 at Hiwayhifi. Alternatively you ccan get the Yamaha 1440 or 2400 for less than £600 in Germany, but be prepared to wait a long time for it.

3. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Yamaha 750 from Hiwayhifi is the DSP-AX750 which is an amplifier not a receiver!

The RX-V750 is not available in the UK although it is being advertised by a couple of German firms for around 320GBP. The firm I contacted didn't have any in stock nor know when they would get any!

Pat

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i ask the diff between A Amplifier and Receiver? as it seems it does everything i need as in upscale all video to component so i could have just 1 cable going to plasma

just wondered if i am losing anything as the spec suggests not?

5. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most of the time the only difference is that a Receiver has an in built AM/FM tuner whereas the Amp will not. Occasionally the specs between the two comparable units differ, but only marginally.

Unless you really need a AM/FM tuner the DSP-AX750 would be a good choice on your budget.

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8 think i am gona for it

Just a quickie though the Yamaha has 2 component imputs for my DVD player and Gamecube

But i would have to use S Video for Sky + would that be decent quality on plasma? (been upscaled to component)

P.S what german sites are you refering to to get thoe 2400 at £600 ish as i may be able to wait and that seems a bargain price ?

7. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    For prices and info have a look at the first post in the thread entitled "Best prices summary for new 6 channel receivers" by wasabi, it's edited regularly by wasabi and I've found it very useful!

The German site I checked for the Yamaha receivers was www.technikdirekt.de.

Pat

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bargain prices compared to U.K and no customs from germany (same place i ordered my SX1 smartphone from)

Hmm very intersting i just need to find out delivery cost to U.K

Am i right in thinking the only diff between the 2400 and 1400 is the watt per speaker?

As my speakers are only 100Watt so the 1400 would be perfect

9. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Most amps do not scale video sources they just switch them upto component no improvment on PQ, some that come to mind that do scale are the top end yamaha £3000 and the new harmon amp £1500 cant remember model.