1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video to VGA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bigsteve, Jan 2, 2002.

1. bigsteve

bigsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone has ever tested any of the 'Video to VGA' converters available. Currently I am using an SVHS connection to my Epson LCD projector, but would like to increase the refresh rate by utilising the VGA connection. I have previously been informed that Iscan's would provide this, but at £700, I feel this may be a bit expensive for my current projector. After reading about the following product (£125 + VAT):

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/tv4000.htm

....I think this could be the ideal solution, providing higher refresh rate to my XGA LCD projector. (I will be viewing DVD films and PS2 games). This product outputs XGA resolution, rather than the standard VGA resolution, so presumably, should be a higher quality image?

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding this, (or other products), and whether this should rectify my problem of 'ghosting' images / faint horizontal lines surrounding 'fast moving' images?

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    These boxes come and go from time to time.

I'm curious that it has 3:2 pull down recognition which is unusual.

beware it can only do 1024x768 for PAL not NTSC (drops to 640x480)

I haven't seen it but most of it will depend on the deinterlacer on board.

I recon your scaller in the epsom will out perform it.

See if they will do a sale or return and give us some feed back.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    An iScan Pro won't do anything to the refresh rate. These will stay at the standard refresh rates: 50Hz for Pal and 60Hz for NTSC. An iScan will improve the de-interlacing and reduce jaggies, line twitter and help the stability of panning shots for most projectors.

Why is increasing the refresh rate with PAL so important to you? LCD & DLP projectors don't flicker in the same way as ordinary TVs.

You would think so, but it can be worse. What ever scaling chip is used inside the TV-4000 will have to work harder to produce and XGA image rather than an SVGA. This can show up as errors in the image.

The iScan has been designed for use with projectors, the image holds up very well on the large screen. The de-interlacer is acknowledged as one of the best you can buy for under £1500. Comparing the iScan Pro against the TV-4000 is probably unfair. The TV-4000 is designed to make it easy for you to watch TV on your computer monitor. It's trying to do a far more complicated job (de-interlacing, scaling and increasing the PAL refresh rate) for one sixth of the money. I think somewhere along the line there will be some compromise to achieve this.

As Roland suggests, ask if the company will supply on a sale or return basis, or may be they have a demo unit. This is the only safe way to assess if the unit is worth the £125 asking price.

Regards