1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video through Amp?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Malkyboy, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently purchased a new Yamaha RX-V640 Receiver and Yamaha DVD-S540 DVD, I’m struggling a bit with the connections for these to my existing TV, VCR, NTL Digital box, and Mini Disk Recorder. The audio side of things seems fine and sounds great, but I can’t seem to get a decent quality of picture with the video connected through the Amp. Basically I want all of the video AND audio routed through the amp to make it far easier to use (less buttons to press on fewer remotes!). All I thought (naively) was to connect everything to the plentyfull S-Video connections! :confused:

I’ve attached an image of how I have everything connected at present, with details of the types of connections I have on each.

The problems I have are:
    1) When routing the video from the DVD or NTL Digital box through the Amp the picture is a bit fuzzy and not near as good quality as if having a straight scart connection from the DVD or NTL digital box to the TV.
    2) I cannot get any picture from my VCR by using scart to video & audio phono connections between the VCR and the Amp. The manual for the Amp says that the normal signal flow through is S-Video to S-Video, but you can switch to allow Video to S-Video through the amp. But I can’t get it to work.

I don't know if I am answering my own question here, but I have since read that S-Video may not be the best way to connect Video through an Amp? Is this right, and would I therefore be better trying to return the S-Video leads that I have bought and either getting another type of lead, or investing in a scart switch? :suicide:

Any comments (constructive or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    DVD & NTL will connect to the TV directly with an RGB signal. This is nearly always (equipment dependent) better quality than an S-Video signal (which I don't think the NTL box even outputs). For these I would suggest getting a scart switch box and connecting to the first (RGB enabled) scart socket on the TV.
    The VCR will only output a composite signal unless it is a SVHS VCR. Connect this via scart to the second scart input on the TV.
    Routing all the video via the AV receiver will only reduce the quality due to lower quality connections and you are adding additional connections into the signal path. This is only advised if you have no other way of getting everything connected.

Mark.

3. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark:smashin:

I've been thinking about taking the S Video cables back and going along the lines of what you had suggested.

I have recently found out that on the NTL digital cable (pace) box you can set the Scart AV signal to either Composite or S Video.

But for whatever reason, I need to switch the TV between different AV's for the best quality depending on whether I use DVD or NTL cable, so defeats the whole purpose of connecting all video through the amp!:mad: