VIDEO: The Best TVs of CES 2023 - Discussion thread

Thanks @Phil Hinton and look forward to your report on the next podcast.

3D!!!!!!! Certain threads will take off again.

Will there be a MZ1500?

Highlight of the show for me is MLA in view of its technology and benefits.

Great video Phil Panasonic’s still the one to beat for picture quality

Most interested in upgrading my 55" LG E9 to the 65" LG G3 as looks like quite an upgrade in design and spec .

Great report, impressive that Panasonic are still pulling new ideas out of the box.

Thanks Phil, great coverage and interviews, looking forward to the hands on reviews,

I feel like I'm getting old.

For those of you who don't have time, the Panasonic MZ2000 was best in show.

Can I just say I HATE videos. I know it's the way so many sites are going with endless videos but I just hate them. Phil, your videos are perfectly fine, even good, but I honestly don't want to spend 10 mins (actually the reveal was less than this but still) listening to a "load of fluff" (subjective I appreciate) when all I want to know is what got best in show. That's something I can get in about 10 seconds if it's on a static page but instead I have to listen (if not watch) a load of stuff I'm just not interested in. Again, your video isn't bad in any way it's the medium I lament.

It's not just this site either, I see it EVERYWHERE now and it's getting more and more common. I'm guessing it's so people can monetise the Youtube page or maybe it's just a "youth" thing but I really do hate this trend. I can scan read a page for the information I'm interested in within 10 seconds or so and move on. Listening to ANY video is a tedious process of ads, intro, waffle, get to the point, waffle, end video. It's WAY harder to quickly scan a video. It's not something you can do with the scroll wheel. Sound and video is INHERENTLY slower as it's sequential where as visually scanning a page is very parallel.

As I said I dunno if it's getting old or it's just a trend thing where people don't read any more but it's just such a step backwards as far as speed is concerned.

G

Our CES show floor coverage has always been video-based and we started reporting from the show in video form in 2009, before that we did shows audio only as podcasts. Our wrap-up and best-of-show videos have been around since 2009, so this is not something new and trendy we have started doing recently. I'm sorry that you don't like the video format, but the overwhelming feedback we get is the opposite of what you said above. Producing written versions of the videos is not possible within the time constraints placed upon us reporting from the show. Thanks for the feedback and I'll look at ways we can perhaps add some more written content to go alongside the videos, but resources are tight and it is not always possible to cover every option, so we concentrate on those that get to the largest possible audience.

Can I just say I HATE videos. I know it's the way so many sites are going with endless videos but I just hate them. Phil, your videos are perfectly fine, even good, but I honestly don't want to spend 10 mins (actually the reveal was less than this but still) listening to a "load of fluff" (subjective I appreciate) when all I want to know is what got best in show. That's something I can get in about 10 seconds if it's on a static page but instead I have to listen (if not watch) a load of stuff I'm just not interested in. Again, your video isn't bad in any way it's the medium I lament.
A lot of videos on YouTube now have chapters which you can preview as the video plays by placing the cursor over the progress bar. I frequently use this feature to get to the part I want to view and it saves time. This means more work for the content creator, but it's very useful.

1673790003774.png

The main written reviews have been changed to accommodate people who want to cut to the conclusion with the Pro/Cons listed after the opening paragraph but I don’t think this would work for video. Written reviews I’ll read through as I enjoy the technical side, but with video, if it stated within the first 20 seconds you may just leave the video (unless you leave the teaser ambiguous). I don’t think 5-10 mins on video is a big ask, there will be a need to monetise but nothings free in this world …My LG has no issues scrolling, and the phone is even quicker, most videos have chapter titles so it’s very quick to jump if you feel the need (although this video didn’t have the chapter breakdown (maybe just a time/resource issue))

I actually find the video useful as I can listen to it in the car while on the move / see a walkround the product which isn’t always captured as well in a photo.

I’m getting old too, but want to see videos / enjoy traditional editorial, have the choice.
For best of, give me video, for review, both please as written will have that finer detail I’m interested in :)

Our CES show floor coverage has always been video-based and we started reporting from the show in video form in 2009, before that we did shows audio only as podcasts. Our wrap-up and best-of-show videos have been around since 2009, so this is not something new and trendy we have started doing recently. I'm sorry that you don't like the video format, but the overwhelming feedback we get is the opposite of what you said above. Producing written versions of the videos is not possible within the time constraints placed upon us reporting from the show. Thanks for the feedback and I'll look at ways we can perhaps add some more written content to go alongside the videos, but resources are tight and it is not always possible to cover every option, so we concentrate on those that get to the largest possible audience.

Yes I didn't watch or like the videos in previous years either, I just never mentioned it ;)

Don't apologise and don't change anything off my moaning I'm just a grumpy old man who doesn't know anything (and I'm not being sarcastic I genuinely know nothing about runnig and maintaining a modern site and the pressures you're under). I do know there's ridiculous expectations on site owners and news sites these days but the reason I keep coming here and have done for 15+ years is because you hit the mark far more often than not.

It's also easy for me to pick holes - I'm sure there's plenty of people who much prefer video coverage. I did speak to someone just last week who was trying to get me to watch a 30 min Youtube video about a topic and stated "I prefer videos to reading a load of text". Go figure.

It's just a trend I've noticed across a lot of sites over the past 5 years and it's just not for me. Appreciate I'm not everybody and I'm not likely to be a typical Internet user but it just doesn't appeal. As I said above, I think your videos are good I just don't like any videos.

Cheers

G

Wow - Glasses Free 3D. I recall my company had them in the building for demo over 12yrs ago - it was great, but IIRC when watching it, there was a relatively narrow 'sweet spot' where outside of that there was considerable crosstalk. Lets hope they've managed to improve that on the TCLs.

Interesting that there are people who do not know how chapters work in Youtube and think you need to sit through an entire video to gather specific information.

Bouth, QD-OLED and MLA WOLED have black rised now ... I don't like this ...

It's not just this site either, I see it EVERYWHERE now and it's getting more and more common. I'm guessing it's so people can monetise the Youtube page or maybe it's just a "youth" thing but I really do hate this trend. I can scan read a page for the information I'm interested in within 10 seconds or so and move on. Listening to ANY video is a tedious process of ads, intro, waffle, get to the point, waffle, end video. It's WAY harder to quickly scan a video. It's not something you can do with the scroll wheel. Sound and video is INHERENTLY slower as it's sequential where as visually scanning a page is very parallel.

As I said I dunno if it's getting old or it's just a trend thing where people don't read any more but it's just such a step backwards as far as speed is concerned.

G
Same!

G
Thank you! Videos turn me right off too. Give me text to read any day. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Wolf Acoustics Alpha Wolf #Soundbar and #Subwoofer Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom