VIDEO: The Best HDR 4K UHD TVs of CES 2016 - video discussion

Lg stole the ces 2016 Show best tv line up with Dolby vision

Interesting, so Samsung's Top models will actually be called KS9000 (edgelit) and KS9500 (FALD) in Europe instead of the confusing US names (KS9500 and KS9800).

This could be the year to upgrade my system.
Enjoyed the Illustrations and background filming.
Thank you for an excellent round up of the TV,s to come.

Thanks for all the video's and writeups guys, it looks like a really good year for changing tv's lets just hope the prices are more affordable than last years.:)

Those new LG OLED's look interesting but I am guessing the top of the massive soundbars under the tv may be distracting if they reflect light from the screen off of them.

In the video they mention the new improved Hisense 65H10C and then say you can get it Flat instead of curved, but those flat models do not spec out the same as they H10, do they? Namely 522 zone, 1000 nits, etc. If they do, what are they model numbers?

Thanks for the reports guys. Looking forward to the reviews of UK models in the coming months, and then we can really see what we've got this year. So far it looks promising and exciting, but there is so much technology to stitch together and get working properly, and a lot of extra testing measures to undertake.

puzzled why LG and few others are backing Dolby VIsion as that seems to be the HDR tech to go with to me from a marketing point view . Dolby Vision or HDR10 hmm I wonder what the consumer will remember.

Last edited:
Some great tech coming now and displays becoming somewhat remarkable.

However...(there is always a however)....whilst i appreciate we all like to see the best of whats available, how much of what was shown is actually within the remit of 'Joe Public' and his budget?? The top of the line Samsung and LG displays will command some absolutely obsurd figures, far beyond those who live in what i will refer to as the real world. Because of this, i feel its partly the reason the chinese brands are up and coming. Hisense to speak of. A question i must ask is how a company like hisense can produce a tv with the specs it does at a fraction of the cost...?!

Wasn't the blueray announced with wider colour then it carried at the end?
Doesn't it support that? But simply is not used?
I am just afraid that all this is just marketing all over again... If industry would do for us, not for the profit, we would get that HDR long time ago...
While my Panny VT50 works, I'll never buy UHD, 4K or whatever slogan they came to.

You mean like blu-ray supports lossless compressed audio up-to 192KHz, but we generally only get 96KHz? To be honest, I doubt most people, me included, would notice any difference at all anyway! There is a finite capacity with a blu-ray of course, unlike a stream or a file on hard disk, and that poses it's own limits.

I don't want to fan your flames luka3rd, but lest we forget that curved TVs originally were marketed as a step up in performance because that's what gives you an immersive experience at the cinema, when actually in the cinema it's all about geometry correction. Marketing eh! The case in point though, we're talking order of magnitude leaps in specification, naturally as humans we see this as an increment, such is the nature of these things. For example, 10-bit colour panels might not seem much of a step up from 8-bit, but the range will double twice (as it's binary). 4 times the amount of pixels to display this bigger pallet of colours is a great combination, and over the first generation of 8-bit UHD panels, this really is a new level.

You are right to an extent though, what we actually get delivered as content, when the studios and broadcasters have decided what's cost effective to them, or can be reasonably distilled down to a disc, ultimately it's that content that dictates the maximum quality we will receive. For that we need to wait, but don't be so negative and just dismiss it without witnessing it with your own eyes. I truly believe this year is going to be really exciting. Yes, don't through away a perfectly awesome TV just for the sake of it, and it is awesome, I'm not going to through away my LX5090 either, but keep an open mind, let's see some testing and reports on the end products and applications, and then judge for ourselves.

You might really fall for it, then what are you going to do?!

Hey, nice reply...
But, I want to add, Panasonic VT50, and many other PDPs, are 10-bit.
Anyway, who really needs 10-bit? Who can see it? Until yesterday you needed Quaddro graphics and professional monitor to see 10-bit colour. It is meant for mastering.
I do know, however, that people with surplus of time want to have all the technology in their homes just for fun, but nobody will see improvements!
I watch from 3.5m (about 12feet) my VT50, and my player is Oppo105. There is no way I could see improvement from this distance... Actually, after a few years of watching this combo, I am still astound every time I play a movie! And am professional video artist (3D, but I do know a thing or two about picture quality). Also, I seriously doubt that any TV, except last model of Panny (studio master panel), could have better colours.
Not that I say it is impossible (but maybe it's not!), but simply marketing has gone too much into HDR and 8K talk, and neither are needed to have perfect picture.
Lastly, pixel count is matter of relation to the size of the screen. 4K was for theaters! So, from 65, and above to be 4K, maybe. Just maybe. And, you don't buy 65 to have bigger picture, but because you are sitting further away? Don't you?
... But even the sound of 8K makes me sick!

And to answer your question:
If I fall for it, it will be a flat, Panasonic, hopefully not larger than 55"... But that all makes me wonder why are we hurling into all this mumbo jumbo resolutions and colours?
We need new TV, player, discs, bigger servers, faster Internet, better cables, new speakers, eyes, ears... And for what? For 3% improvement?
Not technical, but perceptual improvement! Maybe it's even less.

But that all makes me wonder why are we hurling into all this mumbo jumbo resolutions and colours?
We need new TV, player, discs, bigger servers, faster Internet, better cables, new speakers, eyes, ears... And for what? For 3% improvement?

If we compare the yearly days of Blu-rays against the lastest BD titles, there is a huge improvement in PQ.
This is due better hardware in the video chain, cameras, recording material, better and bigger panels for colorist leading to less erros in Mastering etc etc..

Even if you are right about the 3% improvement, IMO doesn't matter if is improvement, in my setup (100" screen) it will translate in much higher % of better PQ when compared with small screens.

When i bought the 55" OLED i though i would never use my projector again due the better OLED PQ.. oh boy.. how i was wrong.
Let alone small screens for immersive or perceptual experience.

@luka3rd: hehe, yeah I know, but big cheeses have got to make some money, right?!

I have wondered what's going to happen after all this. I mean, you're right about hardly noticing the difference in resolution at a reasonable distance from the screen. I'm around 8ft away; any further and it doesn't seem as though I'm getting enough benefit from FHD over SD, let alone 4K. Luckily a wall prevents me from being any further away, heaven forbid! Interestingly at a tech event, er, year before last I think, I asked a Samsung rep what he thought the seating distance should be from a 50" 4K; he said same has FHD. His explanations as to why were, amusing, certainly without scientific reasoning. Luckily there's plenty of information here to put him on the right track.

8K. The Chinese are saying screens are going to be in Europe this year. Why? We're not up and running with 4K yet! I do agree with you that it's not required. I think a pretty enormous iMAX like cinema is required to make that worthwhile.

I for one am excited at Panasonic's reaction to the success of their current OLED. I'm more than happy to sit back and watch this play out though.

So when are you going in for the surgery to get your 3% improvement? Don't you think it will add value to your movie watching experience? Don't you want to be more immersed? Maybe if we push some more marketing blurb your way, you'll understand that you need to have it and will be compelled to buy the latest products. Don't worry that the technology will only last 3 years, then maybe 2, then you'll be lucky if it lasts a whole year before it's obsolete! Open your wallet, sorry your mind, let us entertain you!

Seriously, I am excited about seeing all this for the first time. Early signs are good. I know your skeptical and being cautious, but that's healthy in this tech driven world we're in today. All I'll say is don't write it off until you've seen it. Then you'll know for sure. True, it's a big investment; lots more to change than just the TV.

the more I read up on 4k, hdr, colour spaces, 10 bit , Nits (which I keep thinking are TV head Lice!) and all the associated guff including 8K! I just think you know what you can all keep it...cant see me upgrading for a long time from my Kuro 600a Tv and Epson 9200 PJ, both give me rock solid very enjoyable experiences at excellent picture quality and thoroughly engage and immerse me.

the only thing I would think about trying is Atmos/ 3 d sound etc and that seems all over the place as well and again on bang for buck basis how much more would it really add

puzzled why LG and few others are backing Dolby VIsion as that seems to be the HDR tech to go with to me from a marketing point view . Dolby Vision or HDR10 hmm I wonder what the consumer will remember.
For this year and probably at least till 2018 Dolby Vision is fairly pointless until TV's get to 4000nits imho

However since when did a good name and nothing to back it up make for a bad move.

Dolby are on a roll atm so going aggressive on the name is going to be important for sure. But I'd say Premium UHD (which I guess is any DVision TV) will be stickered all over said TV's and the go to bullet point by Mr Salesman

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom