Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Video Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SimonD, Jan 29, 2003.

1. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking for an AMP and was considering the Denon 1803 and the Yamaha 630.

However I have a connection issue with both these amplifiers. I have been reliably informed by both Denon and Yamaha that their respective amps will not switch RGB + Sync.
    See attached pic.

Denons suggestion was to buy the AVC-A1SR !!

I realise I could buy a JS box to upconvert the RGB + Sync signal to Component but can't really justify spending £150 on a box to convert the signal from a £100 Digital Terrestrial TV box!

Does anybody know of a sub £500 amp which can switch RGB + Sync?

Attached Files:

2. Ballistix

Ballistix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience it's only the top end amps that do this well...hence Denons recommendation. I'm using the AVC-A1SE to do it and it does a fab job, but thats the price you have to pay.

I've seen low end amps with S-Video passing through and they add so much noise it's horrible :(

High end switches cost big bucks too :eek:

It's a tuffy..

Regards,

Tony

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You should check the compability of your equipment first: shown is a component connection, not RGB. RGB is not compatible to component, even though the color of the component connections might imply that.
    Else use S-Video, this should give decent results. IMHO the new Denon AVR-3803 will offer video conversion, too, but at GBP750 it might be above your budget ...

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Are we talking about using the component ins for the rgb and the composite in for the sync signal ? I thought all amps would do this okay, else they're 'muting' composite signals when component is selected. Why would they do that ? Sorry, it's early...

Mike.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SimonD,

I'd be highly surprised when the Denon 1803 is this flexible about assigning input when using the video switching. Because if I understand your diagram correctly you are:

inputing the RGB to the component inputs.
    inputing the Sync to the composite input.

And you want the Amplifier to output the monitor of the component outputs AND the monitor using composite at the same time so you can provide the 4 connections RGB+Sync to your plasma?

Sorry for the unhelpful post but I think you are very unlikely to find it if your are not willing to spend the £100 to convert the signal to Component....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Plenty of people already do this ! (i.e., use component + composite connections for RGB switching). It's not Rocket Science.

All the amps I've ever owned output all connections per input when selected. See here for some more info.

Mike.

7. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I guess it is just a try it and see situation.

if it doesn't work then I will take the SyncBlaster/JS box route and convert to component.

Thanks again
    Simon

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Only amps with component pass through work fine when switching RGB+S.

Newer models that have video conversion inside, like the A1SR and 3803 won't work because the internal electronics are designed to only accept component Y-Pb/Cb-Pr/Cr signals. IF you feed RGB into them they will just mess up the signal.

9. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  10. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I posted this on another thread re my new A1SR and a peculiar problem that did not occur on my previous amp, an A1-D.

"The main reason I opted for the Denon was the video switching options, something I am aware the purists disdain.
    I have 2 questions for anyone still reading:

I currently use a lead with scart on the dvd player end (RGB) and 6 seperate "phono" plugs on the amp side that connect to the 3 component DVD inputs, the composite video socket for sync duty I presume and 2 audio inputs (not needed I suppose). This lead was created to allow my old Pioneer 717 to connect to the A1-D and then to the SIM2 HT300 via 3 component leads+1 composite sync lead.
    I could only previously view DVD (and TV, games etc) through the RGBS input of the Sim2, but now the DVD image appears on the component input and is totally green on the RGBS input!
    Switching the amp to "TV" the signal form my NTL digibox flickers between perfect colour and green with a confused ticking/switching noise coming from the amp! The picture on component input just flickers unintelligibly.
    Any ideas what is causing this problem?

Secondly, am I getting a genuine Component picture from the dvd player or is the amp upgrading the RGB-scart-originated signal to component? Could I get a better picture buying proper component cables and connecting the player to the amp that way? Do I need 4 component leads or 3 beearing in mind the amp is currently connected to the Sim 2 via 4?"

I have since ordered some proper component cables (3 phonos) for DVD, but I'm still getting the intermittent colour/green flickering on TV RGBS input.

Any ideas?

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The A1SR will only accept (to my knowledge) a component Y-Pb-Pr signal inot it's component video inputs, and not RGB with any sort of sync. This is because the A1SR contains internal video transcoding that can convert between composite video, s-video and componet Y-Pb-Pr. Thus if you put RGB into the componet inputs it will make a horrible mess.

The same is not applicable to the older A1D as this has a simple pass through video circuit for the component side which does not alter the video at all. This means that you could conceivably pass through 3 composite video feeds if you wanted to, or SDI, provided there is sufficient bandwidth.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.