Video Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sapper, Mar 11, 2006.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Video Switching on an AV amp.

Sorry if this is a repeat of an old question, but a couple of searches have not really answered my question.

I currently have a Pioneer 433 XME Plasma screen (3 ½ years old). Currently, the following items are connected using the following cables/connections:

Denon 2900 DVD Player - Component
    Cable box - Scart via a Gadget box
    Media box - DVI cable

I am about to take delivery of my Telewest TV drive. I would like to use component if I can to take advantage of the Hi-def capability of my plasma using Component.

I know that if I were to have three video sources that all used HDMI, for example, I could use the AV amp to send it out to the screen via HDMI.

So…. The question is… can Av amps which have video switching, accept signals via component, DVI etc, and send out via component or HDMI etc?

If so, what brands and models should I be looking at.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Hello sapper

Some AV Receivers are very good at Theatre Sound, some are quite clean at Video Switching, some offer all sorts of Video Trickery but the majority are not that great at the Video Trickery.

You'd be far better served by a decent External Video Processor from the likes of DVDO or Lumagen and 'scale' and process your signals to best match your 1024x768 pixel array.

The video processors are compatible with a wider range of source signals and are programmable so you can achieve a 'best match' with your Display on a source by source and signal by signal basis.

I'm not sure which Pioneer Display you have - what's the full product code; you need to keep in mind the MXE Displays don't have HDCP compliant DVI Inputs so you will have issues with HDMI equipped sources.

Best regards

Joe

3. johnnypy

johnnypy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe

I have been watching the forum for a long time now but have only just taken the plunge to post yesterday! I have a Pioneer pdp505xde which carries out some degree of internal upscaling. I am particurlarly interested in your comments on external video processing.

I am currently looking for an upgrade to my existing system, both from a video and audio perspective. I have a Pioneer pdp505xde, a panasonic upscaling p scan DVD player with HDMI output, an ordinary sky digibox, and the receiver/amp is currently a Sony davs500 (plays SACDs) with accompanying speakers. (I also still have a Technics turntable for vinyl with a phono preamp!) My immediate (courtesy of Sky HD!) plans are to upgrade my sky box to a sky HD box - I bought my pioneer in March 05 and I have been waiting rather a long time like everyone else! This would mean that I end up with 2 HDMI inputs - one from the DVD and one from the Sky box. I know there may be component outputs from the Sky HD box, but how long these will output before Sky switch on HDCP is anyone's guess. So what I think I need will be an amp/receiver that will have 2 HDMI inputs; I have looked at switchers and they are ~£230 which is a big chunk of the cost of upgrading my current amp. I am particularly interested in amps that have upscaling conversion to HDMI - however there seems to be some debate about how useful upscaling is with a Pioneer which as I said already does some internal upscaling anyway. The alternative may be to look at something like a Lumagen external video processor? I would like to hear your views on that too. By the way I feed all the video signal to the xde media box (eg rgb scart for the sky, hdmi from the panasonic dvd player) and multichannel audio direct to the Sony dav s500 via optical digital from the panasonic. The sky audio is just 2 channel as it's not a sky+ box, but this is also fed direct to the sony. I use the sony only as a SACD player and audio multichannel amplifier only.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Hello johnnypy

Just a quick note to say I'll reply later in the day - a bit of snow clearing is required outside :)

Best regards

Joe

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Hello johnnypy

Replacing the DAV-S500 and accompanying loudspeakers is going to make for a fairly significant step up in audio playback.

Personally I'd concentrate on an AV Receiver that sounds good and not worry overly about the video 'performance' of the AV Receiver.

If your budget is not going to stretch to an external Video Processor then an AV Receiver with HDMI switching seems a smart move; though I wouldn't concentrate on video cross conversion from Analogue to Digital as necessarily a positive feature.

The Video conversion in the majority of AV Receivers is nothing more than a 'convenience' feature and in some ways makes for a poorer video signal path as the XDE Media Box is going to have to reprocess an already processed signal and unless the AV Receiver video processing is much more sophisticated than the XDE Media Box your better getting the 'raw' signals into the XDE Media Box.

Where you pre switch through the AV Receiver because you've run out of 'same type' Inputs on the XDE Media Box its often best to leave the signal in its native format - using multiple cables between the AV Receiver and the XDE Media Box.

If your budget allows then a programmable Video Processor such as the Lumagen Vision range can and do make for an improvement with the XDE - again the XDE Media Box is a bit of a bottle neck but you can make improvements using the various filters and processes within the Lumagen.

If you use a Lumagen VisionDVI or HDP you have two Digital Video Inputs (the NEW HDQ is equipped with four Digital Video Inputs) so you may not require an AV Receiver with on-board Digital Video switching.

Best regards

Joe

6. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thank you jow for replying to our queries.

My Pioneer Plasma is, the 433 MXE version of 3 years ago, brought in October 2002. It was the non domestic model, having no tuner, but as I understand a Hi-def conponent capable card instead.

there were rumours that other cards were developed for this, but Inever looked in to them, I guess I could do a seach of the plasma forum.

I really do not use anythign other then DVD, cable and media box. I am about to recieve the telewest TVdrive which has Hi-def capability vis conponent.

as such I am not really needing upscaling as far as I understand, rather soemthing simply to switch the sources, ie DVD and cable. I will continue using the PC vis media box.

As such I have seen the DSP-AX757SE for £370.00 or so. Consequently I may purchase this for a short term, until I decide what (if) which larger box to purchase, and offer this to my father for Christmas afterwards.

Adrian

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Hello sapper

Key Digital and Aurora Multimedia both have HDCP enabled cards for 'some' of the MXE range - though they don't work in every MXE model.

They look relatively expensive (800-900 USD) when you look at the current price of an HDCP compliant PDP-42MXE10 (approx 1.7K GBP).

If you only require a temporary fix to switch two 'Component' Video signals then a JS Technology 2:1 Component + Stereo audio switcher will cost you 55.00 GBP (see http://www.js-technology.com/produc...=49&osCsid=6bf094707dfc169267163a26f8040ac0); otherwise an AV Receiver with Component video switching will be a good stop gap.

Best regards

Joe