1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bubbauk, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im getting an SR4500 for christmas and i want to use it for video switching with svidea for my pc and my dvd player mainly cause its easier than usuing scarts and having to mess about with putting on the dvd then the sound aswell. The thing is it has 2 svideo inputs and 2 outputs, this is ok for my needs atm but when i wish to add my xbox to the system i cant because there isnt enough svideo connections. Would it be possible to connect the xbox to a component input on the av receiver and it still be able to switch properly even though there is no component output connected to anything just the svideo output goiung to the TV.

Thank you for the help.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Bubbauk

Unless your AV Receiver offers Video Up and Down signal conversion you cant mix and match YUV (Component) and Y/C (S-Video); they are handled on independent signal 'buses' within the AV Receiver.

Does your TV have a YUV Component input?

Best regards

Joe

3. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

According to the marantz website it says the sr4500 which is the one im getting supports simple video conversion, does that mean i can do it or is that something else?

Nope, the tv im getting only has 2 scarts on the rear one is rgb and one is svideo then it has svideo, composite and phono inputs on the front of the tv.
    Thanks

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I would suggest that you connect your DVD player to the RGB scart on the TV as that will offer the best possible picture. You then have a spare S-Video input for your X-Box.

Mark.

5. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yea, that was the original plan but i will have my PC and DVD player needing to be connected to the tv, plus the xbox and maybe a freeview box ntl digital. Plan was to use rgb scart for ntl digital, and the svideo scart for the av receiver and switch between the tv and dvd player, xbox is no big issue as i will prob not even end up usuing it as my brother plays it alot in his room, but just incase i changed my mind i was wondering if component video input could be switchable to svideo.

Thanks for the help

6. suicidal_maniac

suicidal_maniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could get one of those quintro rgb switching boxes?

7. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Marantz website ain't much help with regards to the video conversion capabilities of the SR4500.
    "Simple video conversion reduces the amount of cabling needed towards the video display. " Whatever that means :thumbsdow

I'm pretty sure the Marantz won't "downconvert" a component signal to S-Vid or composite. The more expensive Yamaha and Denon amps won't downconvert like this either.

How about the Yamaha AX750se or the Denon 2105???
    Both of these have 5 S-Vid inputs and don't cost that much more :thumbsup:

8. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well the thing is i have got it allready :x. Got the SR4500, DV4400 and the Tannoy FX5.1 for £450 as a special deal of a company so i couldnt resist .

Thanks for the info.