1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video switching Question (amp or external SCART box)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ozzy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Since just about every 28" widescreen CRT comes with only 1 RGB SCART, I'm wondering what's the best method of connecting several devices together.

I'd like to keep Digital 5.1 sound from my DVD Player, SKY+ box and XBox.

Looking at the slimline AV amps from Pioneer, I thought my dreams had come true with their 4 RGB SCART connections. This would've allowed me to switch display and sound via the amp remote and give a nice clean install.

Unfortunately, looking at the manuals you can't assign all the available digital and coax sockets to each SCART input. i.e. the SCART they recommend using (as it has RGB output) is the DVR/TV socket, yet this is assigned to one of the digital inputs, so can't be reassigned to another SCART input (e.g. like Video for my XBbox) :)

Now I'm left with either buying an amp to do just the audio and using an external SCART box to switch the video OR buying a larger amp that will allow me to switch video too.

Question is, since none of them have SCART what's the best alternative for PQ?

My DVD player outputs component, but I don't think my TV accepts this (RGB, S-Video & Composite only AFAIK). Is it reasonable to switch via S-Video instead or am I best just sticking with the SCART option?

I guess they'll all work, but I'm looking for the PQ from SCART but the convienience of having everything being switch from the one source (and importanly one remote).

TIA Stefan

2. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, TV is a Sony KV-28HX15 and DVD Player is a Pioneer 575A.

Stefan

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You could try a cable that allows SCART connection at one end and S-Video or component at another. Check to see if the SCART in your TV is component enabled. Then you could get an amp that allows you to upconvert everything to component, so only one connection between amp and monitor. If not, then see if a S-Video to SCART is possible. Check hificables.com, they usually have all the various combo's possible.

4. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ideally, for covienience I'd just want one switch for both audio and video. That way I can leave the TV set on AV1 and use the amps remote to switch between devices.

I don't mind using different video inputs i.e.

XBox -> component
    DVD -> component
    SKY+ S-video

and then using a component -> SCART cable to allow a single monitor output to my TV.

Guess the problem is not knowing what the quality differences will be since I'm used to using RGB SCART on everything.

Stefan

5. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BTW, I haven't seen a 28" TV that has seperate component sockets.

Soes anyone know if models of Sony or Panny support component signals on the SCART sockets?? If such a thing is possible.

6. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You should read at least the first post of the sticky "Component Vs RGB (Scart?) Vs Svideo Vs Composite" in the DVD player section of this forum. Very informative as to the various pro's and cons etc.

Check the specs on the TV you have online (quite easy - use yahoo or google to get there, takes only a few minutes of intelligent surfing) and you find the following connections for the KV-28HX15:

4 Pin (Y/C) In Front S-Video
    Memory Stick Slot YES
    MiniJack (Head/Earphone) (mm) 3.5
    RCA Audio Out Stereo Variable
    RCA AV Input Front-AV
    RF In YES
    Scart 1 AV-In/Out; RGB In
    Scart 2 AV-In/Out; S-VIdeo In

If this looks like your TV, then component is out I'm afraid.

7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Check out JVCs 28" sets, at least 2 models have component in.

8. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I've read the sticky.

Sometimes too much information just makes things more confusing. Nothing like hands-on experience when it comes to these things, unless the picture quality is very noticeable.

I did a search on various Sony models and none of them mentioned Component input. I wasn't sure whether this would be specified as part of the SCART sockets or if it would only be a yes/no if it had actual component sockets (or not).

Wanted to stick with Sony or Panny, but I may have to look at the JVC's to see what they're like.

Suppose something will be a comprimise somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the info,

Stefan