1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video switching problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Caroline, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With two VCRs going into my Sony STRB930 receiver via a couple of scart to six phono connecting leads I am having a problem getting the picture to my Toshiba 40PW13P r/p TV. I am using a switched scart to 3 phono plug lead from Ext 2 on the TV (using only the yellow lead into the monitor socket on the Sony) but still no picture when I switch between the two videos. Up until a couple of months ago I used this set up on my 32in tosh TV with no problems. I've checked the ext settings on the TV and switched them about just in case, but still no joy. We moved house recently and this is the first time we have used the amp. Is it, as I fear, a fault with the Sony, or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Caroline

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from making it difficult for yourself, why are you connecting it up like that?

Why not just connect the 2x phono from the Tosh to the receiver and not connect the audio up from the vcr to the receiver?

Toshiba televisions have excellent audio passthrough.

3. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You say your using a switched scart to the TV?

Have you checked that switch on the scart:confused:

An easy one to overlook

Taz.:cool:

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Coroline,

Have you tried using one of the 6 phono-scart leads to replace the switched scart-3 phono. That will establish if its the amp or the lead is at fault.:(

5. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep,
    I've tried swapping leads around to check that it isn't a faulty lead and tried the switch in both positions. The reason I'm connecting up this way is so that I can switch between the hardware going through the amplifier and don't have to switch extensions on the TV . It worked pretty well before. I have even connected the videos direct scart-to-scart to the TV and that works ok so there is no fault with the scart connector on the TV. It must be a fault with the amp.

Thanks for your input

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you connect up the sources to the tv via scart and then have a 2x phono connection between the tv and the amp, you don't have to worry about video switching on the amp.

It also saves a whole load of cables and it may resolve your problem.

7. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my amp for video switching so I can see where Caroline is comming from its not the best way I know but sure makes things easy.

Caroline this has got to be something easy that you have over looked, check, check and check again ;)

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me but i can't see how routing the video via the amp makes it easier.

I route everything via the tv and then to the amp with the exception of the digital sources. I don't need to switch sources then as the tv handles it all apart from the digital sources.

9. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because, I keep my TV on AV2 and even with everything connected switched on I just select the relevant input and it appears on the screen. As i said its not the best way I know but its the way I like to run things at the moment until ReTrO and I rebuild the system.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Caroline and Taz that routing video via the amp is by far the best, easiest way of doing it where many video sources are involved. I have DVD, Laserdisc, 2xVCR all routed via the Amp and a single cable from there to the AV inlet on the TV.

Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't degrade the picture to any visible extent, and is VERY convenient.

Caroline - one more check you can try. Starting with your (non-working) setup as described, remove the yellow plug from the amp's monitor output. Then, remove the video output connection on the amp for one of the two VCRs and plug the TV monitor cable in there instead.

Select THE OTHER VCR as source, and see if you get a picture. If you do, then it seems clear that the Amp isn't supplying a video output to its monitor port and is faulty.

If you don't, then, maybe your VCRs are wired up incorrectly (eg input cable to output socket) or the Amp isn't providing any video outputs at all (faulty again).

Does this particular amp have any Onscreen Display features, menus, etc., and are you seeing those?

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    the 930 has no on-screen display

and i have mine setup the same as Caroline, without problem.

1 question, i assume you are using composite video connections, from amp to TV?

12. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nigel,
    Thanks for your help. I tried your idea of putting the minotr in the video out socket on the amp for one of the VCRs and then using the other as a source. Sadly, still no picture. I checked that all my connections were correct, so I can only conclude that the video outs on the amp are not working. I dare say to get them fixed would cost almost as much as a replacement amp. Looks like I'm stuck with the old VCR scart to TV scart connect until I update the amp at some stage.

Thanks to all of you for trying to help.

13. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oops! Almost forgot to mention that I also tried linking the amp up to the old 32in Tosh TV and it didn't work on that either. The amp must have got damaged in the house move.

Cheers

14. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OUCH! :(

Looks like you'l be phoning the insuarance company then :(

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange how people differ. I have four sources connected up and i use the tv as the switching device rather than the amp.