1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video switching on rotel 1068?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by malcky, Mar 18, 2005.

1. malcky

malcky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am now looking to make use of the video switching on the rotel 1068 and wanted to know if there was any limitations to the 1068 in tems of signals it can recieve and send 480i/p,720p,1080i/p etc can it accomodate all these in and then send out?

In my set up i want to use the RGB signal via scart to go to a JS Technologies scart-YUV component converter which will then connect to 1068 by component, and have a progressive component signal (pal & ntsc) from my dvd player to the 1068, and have a s-video connection from my htpc to 1068.

anyone know if the rotel 1068 will cope ok with this.

thanks

here is a link to the rgb - YUV converter i will be using:

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...c219c7d2047aae1

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    From what i remember i think the video switching can cope with HD signals, and has a bandwidth of 200mhz.

Does the manual not state anything?

3. malcky

malcky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    well i have tried the js tech switcher and is did make a very big improvement in picture quality to my sanyo z2, however there was a weird bug/problem with either the switcher or my rotels video switching as from time to time there was a loss of signal which caused the screen to blue (as if changing inputs on the z2, but i didnt) and then resume picture after about 5 seconds of a blank blue picture. so i will not be keeping the js tech switcher.

oh well, looks like will be getting a lumagen DVI instead then.

4. malcky

malcky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    update: i tried the js tech switcher on its own (sky - switcher - z2) to see if it lost the picture signal and it didnt for the 5 hours the z2 was on today and i am am amazed at the quality of the picture now compared to the s-vid signal. so either my rotel doesnt like receiving an RGB signal or its faulty video switching. so will need the js tech component controller as i have 2 component sources now.

which brings me to my next dilema: do i get the lumagen???

cost of not getting lumagen is: js tech converter 150
    js tech controller 55
    2 x 1/2m comp cables 110 totals 315.00

also when sky hi def comes out i would get that which people seem to think will be about 400.00 which brings it up to 715.00

cost of getting lumagen: lumagen DVI 815.00
    2 x 1/2m comp cables 115.00 totals 930.00

so only 215.00 between my choices but the latter gives me hi-def to all my video sources (sky+, dvd, htpc) and still have space for 5 other video sources if i had them.

help me decide, or have i already decided while writing this...hmmmm

malcky

5. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rotel 1068 will switch prog scan component video successfully - I'm doing it with a gamecube and a dvd player. The JS convertor to YUV should therefore work (I'm using JS Tech RGB -> VGA as I didn't have the switching capabilities on the amp when I bough Sky/Convertor so I can't help with the blue screen issue).

Andy

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    malcky

Trying (unsuccessfully) to follow your posts!

Are you using a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter, a JS Technology Master Component controller or both and if so why?

If you convert RGB to YUV can you then not switch up to 3 YUV signals via your Rotel AV Processor?

If you add a Lumagen VisionDVI to your set-up you wont require any JS Technology boxes - the Lumagen accepts YUV and 'RGB with Composite sync' signals on Inputs 3 and 4.

The Lumagen doesn't create High Definition from your Standard Definition RGB or YUV sources - it simply does a better job of resizing and processing the SD signals to fill your HD resolution pixel array in your projector.

Best regards

Joe

7. malcky

malcky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

hi joe, i will explain what i have done & need to have done.

at the moment i am using the RGB to YUV converter for sky+, and have a dvd player outputing via component, so as my Z2 projector only has 1 component input i thought i would make use of my rotel 1068 video switching (which has 3 component inputs 1 output) however doing this runs into my problem mentioned above with loss of signal and getting a blue screen for a few seconds.

so to find out where this problem lies i tried it without the rotel in the loop (sky+ via RGB scart to JS Tech converter to Z2) and this worked flawlessly, therefor i can only assume that my rotel has faulty video switching or it didnt like the converted RGB signal i was sending it????

so to cure my 1 component input problem on the Z2 i will need to have the JS Tech controller, which sounds to me as thought it does exactly the same as many dvd players that have 2 scart sockets do if a tv only has 1 RGB capable scart socket.

hope this is easier to understand.

malcky

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Hello malcky

To be 'fair' to your Rotel you also must have taken one set of YUV cables out of the signal path - it might be worth trying an alternative cable with the Rotel; just in case.

If your Rotel is at fault then yes potentially the JS Technology Mater YUV controller will do the trick - though worth testing it in your system to ensure its not affecting the image quality.

Best regards

Joe