Video switching not needed.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by docb, Nov 2, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All

Just thinking of the possibilities for an upgrade from Yammy 750, and got round to thinking about video switching.

I have a scaler and therefore have no need for video switching, and surely amps that include all the circuitry for video are compromising the sound side of things.
    Also surely i would be paying for something i dont particularly need.
    I will require audio delay, due to the scaler.

So are their any good surround amps that dont offer the video side but do have the audio delay?

Thanks

Doc

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Video switching is a standard feature on any amp worth its salt, well actualy you would be hard to find one without vid switching.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    what you want is a very good DVD player and some monobloc power amps....heh

unless you need it for all your other sources, in which case you do need to buy a surround amp with prologic/DTS Neo, but you can just use its pre-outs to feed your monoblocs as well.....(assuming you buy monoblocs withe enough inputs)

Sorry for the edit, accidently pressed "Edit" instead of "Quote" and didn't notice until after I submitted the post. Reiner, Moderator.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Didn't work for me - I have a DVD player with volume control but even at the lowest setting the volume was way to loud when directly fed into my (stereo) power amp, so I had to get myself a pre-amp.

5. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While searching on the net I found this

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/av_amps_receivers/?product_id=27

Would this do the job of amp without video? or would i need the DVD player with the decoder to go with this?

there is also a denon called an AVR 550SD, problem with it is it looks like you cant buy it on its own, comes as a package with a DVD player.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the cost of new DVD player and monoblocks would far out weigh my desire to have an amp without video switching.

Thanks

Doc

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You have a choice of buying an amp with built in switching that is redundent (or that make your externel switcher redundent) or your gonna have to go through the expensive pre/pro route.

Another option is a slimline amp, as these don't always have great connectivity or an all in one system that doesn't have a dvd player, i.e. amp and speaker set.

What is it your specificaly after from your sysetm, sonicaly, music/movies loud/detailed ...

7. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello gazbarber

What am i after? good question.

I need
    L/R pre outs to take to arcam stereo amp.
    2 digital inputs dvd and sky+
    audio delay (could work around with the felston audio delay box)
    Dolby/DTS processing (inc. neo6 and pl)

as far as the sound goes, the arcam covers stereo, so only thing to think about is films/TV.
    I got the upgraditis bug last week and got thinking about the size of the amps. I figured that the size is to accomodate all the inputs for video on the back, and all the internal circuitry re vid switching/upconversion.

Seeing as i dont need that side of things it made sense to see if there were any amps with better processing / sound than the yammy 750 that didnt have the vid switching that i could demo.

Doc

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    If your really adament that you don't want switching, and you want better performance than the 750 then you are going to have to go pre-pro as no av amp above that is vithour pretty extensive video switching.

Be warned though that alot of processors, which is what you'll need to get dd and dts ect, also do video switching so may just turn out expensive for the sake of it.

As you already have a stereo arcam amp then getting the arcam 300 may be a good idea, where you can use the arcam stereo for the fronts and the av for the rest giving you a consistant sound field. Especialy so if you like the arcam sound, and its video switching ability is a bit behind the times anyway.

9. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello Gazbarber

Not really adamant, just wondered if there was anything around, it was a query really.

Thanks for the help

Doc

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Sorry I wasn't intending my tone to be demeaning or patronising, in the light of the fact that you have arcam stereo amp and that will be powering the front speakers, the arcam AVR 300 will be the best choice as your centres and rears will have a similar sound to the fronts.

The only problem i can is is that the arcam avr 300 is a bit layed back and maybe not as forward as some would like with movies.