1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video switching for DVI-I 5x2???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DannyBoy73, Jul 24, 2005.

1. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi all, any help much appricated :)

Does anyone know of a DVI-I video switching box that also does audio over optical or coax, and also has a 5 inputs (could live with 4) and 2 outputs??

The reason I want it to be DVI-I is because I want to run some component devices through the switch, and as far as I'm aware that means I has to be DVI-I?? Can anyone confirm this??

Also does anyone know if I can run component devices through HDMI??? If so, then maybe a 5x2 (or 4x2) HDMI switch box??

Lastly, the reason I want to outputs is, 1 for a Philips LCD DVI-I TV and the other is an Infocus projector which runs DVI-M1.... does anyone know if this DVI-M1 will support component??

Any info much appriecated.

Cheers
    Dan

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    You could try Gefen at http://www.gefen.com but I'd be sitting down when you read the prices.

Regards

Mark

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JoeF at the Media factory is the man to speak to.........stocks all sorts of swtching gear and cables and other boxes or trickery as well as all the cables you would need

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Dan

I'm not sure I've seen a DVI-I Switcher as yet!

Unless you had some form of on-board Digital to Analogue or Analogue to Digital processor your ideal switcher/distribution amp would have to have two independent signal 'buses'; one for Analogue and one for Digital.

You could combine a Zektor Digital switcher (DVS5.1) with a Zektor YUV switcher (HDS4 or HDS4.2) to achieve some of what you want - though throwing in the Twin outputs means you would also require a 1:2 DVI distribution amp on the Output of the DVS5.1.

The Zektor switchers can be used in multiples with IR or RS232 so you have control over both devices without clashes.

HDMI (like DVI) switchers will only switch Digital signals - the video format of the Digital signal can by YUV or RGB but it needs to be digital.

Your least cost option is going to be some form of conversion for either your Analogue or Digital signals and then switch and distribute everything though a Gefen 2:2, 4:2 or 6:2 HDMI switcher; though these may not cater fully for your audio requirements.

If you kept everything Digital as Digital and Analogue as Analogue then AutoPATCH could sort you out - though please don't let Mark_a see an AutoPATCH price list; he's liable to be hospitalised as an AutoPATCH Power Supply is usually more money than a Gefen switcher :)

See http://www.autopatch.com/series_op/index.html

Best regards

Joe

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Ok, Joe, what's your price for a Gefen 2x2 HDMI switch?

Edit - no strike that, I see you do their distribution amp for about £200. And their 2x2 switch really isn't, as far as I'm concerned, as it only switches the input side, not the important bit, the output.

Perhaps you could mention to them in passing that there must be an awful lot of folks in my position who simply want to SWITCH the output from their Lumagens (not distribute it). I'm sure they could knock up such a device and charge, oh I don't know, something minimal like say only a £150 for it.

Regards

Mark

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Mark_a

As you say the Gefen EXT-HDMI-242 is a 2x2 HDMI (with Digital Audio) Two Input switcher with Twin Digital Video Outputs plus a single Digital Audio Output.

I'm not sure if I follow what the problem with the Twin Digital Video Output format is - it would get more costly to have a box with switchable Inputs Plus Switchable Outputs.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2757

If you want a 1:2 HDMI Distribution Amp the EXT-HDMI-142 may fit the bill.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2514

Equally if your only dealing with the Digital Video side of things then the Gefen EXT-HDTV-142 1:2 DVI (with HDCP) Distribution amp is only just outside your 'ideal' price range.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1870

Best regards

Joe

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    As I've said more than once, distribution for most normal folks is pointless. You either watch your TV, or you watch your projector, you don't watch both at the same time. So why would you want to distribute when you can simply switch outputs? You're paying for an unnecessary amplifier and extra electronics you don't need, or want, always distributing to an unused arm. It is utterly silly and unnecessarily costly.

Being my usual cynical self, perhaps the answer is they can't charge enough for a simple 'one in, two out' switch to make their apparently normal inflated profits to make it worth their while?

Regards

Mark

8. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Cheers for all the info guys, much appreicated.

Is HDMI in general use with audio yet?? and if so, if you convert HDMI to DVI, would the converter have a digital audio output too (as DVI has no audio?) ??

Thanks

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    generally all DVI devices and HDMI for the time being will have alternative sound ouputs as well either digital or analogue

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Mark_a

I'm not so sure about the Switching vs. Distribution cost and or 'normal' people argument.

A lot of folk who contact us these days want distribution (KitchenTV, BedroomTV, BathroomTV, Display, Projector etc).

Cost wise I couldn't say if it was more expensive to manufacture a Distribution Amp with no requirement for Switches/IR control or a Switcher that has Manual/IR control.

You indicated a target price of £150.00 for a 1:2 HDMI switch and Gefen have a 1:2 Distribution Amp with a UK SRP of £176.25; not a million miles apart.

The Gefen UK price list includes products that range in price from £11.75 up to £3.4K - with plenty of sub £100.00 and £200.00 products in the 'best selling' category.

Keep in mind too a lot of the Gefen Switch and Distribution products come complete with at least one Input or Output cable.

Best regards

Joe

11. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Why not provide both and let the buyer decide?

That was actually a bit of sarcasm. Why can several companies provide all singing, all dancing, remote controlled scart switches for about £80, or less? Why are we expected to pay more than double for HDMI? It appears to be rampant profiteering of early adopters to me. It's a matter of perceived value for money, and £180 for a measly one to two distribution amp (or better yet, switch) is nowhere near my idea of 'reasonable value for money'. And it's not a matter of me being tight, I've spent close to five grand in the last month on new AV gear. I also object to paying for cables I may not want. Gefen should offer them with or without cables, and price accordingly.

Still, I've only got to wait till all the other companies join in and the prices come down to realistic levels. I guess I can swap a few cables till then. If Gefen, or others, can't provide exactly what I want, at what I consider a reasonable price, then they won't get the custom, simple as that.

Regards

Mark

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Mark_a

I guess Gefen would say how come the companies that produce low cost SCART switches haven't entered the HDMI market as yet :)

The Gefen product range is pretty comprehensive already - I doubt they will want 'with/without' cable options plus lots of derivates of pretty much the same thing with minor changes when one box will cover a wide range of requirements.

There are manufactures other than Gefen in this market and the Gefen pricing looks competitive with what else is on the market.

Best regards

Joe

13. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495

Oh they will, Joe, they will. :)

Regards

Mark

14. 220443

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been considering purchasing the new Philips LCD HD READY TV model 26PF5520D with a single DVI-I input and adaptors for VGA PC and component video.
    To facilitate switching between say DVI digital PC, DVI VGA PC, DVI sky box, DVI component video simple solution use all the leads to these devices but purchase a DVI-I extension lead male to female and simply plug in the device you want. This means no wear on the TV DVI-I socket.
    A cheap DVI-I 2m extension lead is available from www.videkonline.co.uk .
    Instead of pressing a button you have to plug and unplug but think of the savings!
    Blessings
    Peter

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590

You must be single :)

'Darling can you switch over to SKY HD so I can set the recorder?'

'Yes Dear - just a minute (or two) while I go to the rear of the TV and switch cables around then go into the TV's user menu to set up the correct input signal and hopefully the HDMI handshaking works this time'.

'Give me a shout when your finished with SKY HD so I can go plug the DVD player back in and re set the TV menu'.

Best regards

Joe

16. 220443

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm married but I have my own recreational room!
    Anyway it might be good finger exercise!
    Joking apart I've just found the new HDTV Samsung LE26R51BD with all the inputs I need and 3000:1 contrast. What do you think for PC/TV use?
    Blessings
    Peter