Video streaming using WD My Book live Question!

aboyes

Novice Member
Hi all,

I currently have all of my media in my itunes folder (MP3s and MP4s) and I have Serviio installed on my imac. I use my Sony BDPS370 and can watch all my movies perfectly fine.

My question is can I do the same but using the WD My Book live? I think I've read that it uses Twonky Server. So with this in mind I've installed this on my imac as well and when I try to playback mp4s its awful, the picture and the sound stutters.

Basically I dont want to invest in a NAS, move all my content onto it and find that it doesn't play back correctly.

So if anyone can help it would be appreciated :D

next010

Distinguished Member
No it wont play is the short answer.

Serviio is a transcoder so it converts the video in real time making it playable on the Sony, Twonky has no transcoder and your at the mercy of Sony's media player which is not very good.

Off the shelf NAS are incapable of transcoding video so you can only use a computer for the task, if going down the NAS path the best thing to do is to purchase a network media player like a WDTV Live and avoid DLNA altogether as the player can access the folders on the NAS directly through SMB/NFS and it has far better media support so there shouldn't be any major compatibility issues.

aboyes

Novice Member
Ah I see so that WD NAS does have twonky and will present the same problem! Thats such a shame....I wanted to use my Bluray player to stream so I didn't have to have yet another box under the TV.... :( Is there anyway of using a NAS with it?

Other than this I see it has and itunes server so could I simply make use of that and get an Apple TV?

This is confusing!

next010

Distinguished Member
Well the long answer is you can use a NAS with the BDP-S370 but you will be bound by the formats natively supported over DLNA on the player with Sony this is usually .mpg/ts and sometimes avi/mp4 support depending upon the model.

The very best option would be a QNAP or Synology NAS (with 512MB of RAM) as you can install Serviio on those models and it should at least work slightly better than Twonky, transcoding will only work on very low bitrate/resolution videos but Serviio can also remux instead of transcode essentially doing a container swap which can work for some media files & does not stress the NAS CPU.

No you cant use iTunes on a NAS either, that is not iTunes it is the ancient Firefly media server which only works with iTunes desktop clients it predates Homesharing which is what Apple now uses and cannot be replicated because Homesharing uses your Apple ID for authentication.

aboyes

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies! Are the QNAP and Synology NAS drives plug and play like the WD ones?

I'm a noob and need it easy! :D I'm sort of getting confused about about what the best solution is now!

next010

Distinguished Member
No they arent that straight forward to setup, they come with no HDD so you must supply your own, the firmware is not installed on the unit so after installing HDD's you install the companion software on your Mac and it locates the NAS from there you run a wizard which installs the firmware and sets the type of storage setup your after standalone volumes or RAID array.

Once there you now have access to the OS that runs on the NAS, Synology live demo and QNAP live demo. Synology have the easier to use GUI but QNAP are better supported and have better user community.

Installing Serviio on either will require some minor technical work, the threads I linked to in prior post show how but it's not exactly beginner friendly. Also just to stress this there is no guarantee this will work as good as iMac Serviio as it cannot transcode H.264/MP4 video.

Try disabling transcoding in Serviio settings on your iMac and see how well it streams your content then as that's about the closest scenario you could replicate.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom