Video Solutions - R1 or R2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Oct 13, 2003.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,273
    Have R1 on order at Play but its out of stock
    R2 is out on Monday

Are there any major differences between the two except for PAL or NTSC picture ?

Play lists R2 as .........................

Technical Details
    Certificate Exempt from Classification
    Languages English - Dolby Digital (2.0)
    Additional Languages English (Dolby Surround)

whilst the R1 has ......................................

Technical Details
    Certificate Not Rated
    Languages English - Both Dolby Digital 6.1 EX & 6.1 DTS ES

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Do you mean Digital Video Essentials?

PAL vs NTSC is the only difference, and not only major but fundamental difference.

Why? Because if you calibrate your screen with the NTSC disc and then play PAL DVDs it won't make any difference because you will have calibrated the NTSC signal input settings. Likewise with calibrating with PAL disc when you watch NTSC discs.

Displays that would benefit from proper calibration tend to have different settings for NTSC and PAL (and other) inputs.

Therefore you should get the disc that matches your collection of DVDs, or if it's mixed you will need to get both sets.

StooMonster

3. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what annoys me on a huge scale is that the makers of such calibration dvd's such as 'digital video essentials' & 'avia' must be aware that we require both ntsc and pal versions. therefore they should supply both video formats on either one disk (if possible) all two disks.

the vast majority of buyers of this type of media will no doubt be techies and multi region dvd users.

I personally think there 'out of touch' with the real environment to which there marketing their product.

All possibly as these products are USA originated, it could be that there not that bothered as most us customers probably only have region 1 players and ntsc displays. therefore the euro market is not that important to them.

Having worked as an engineer in many US tv stations i can confirm that the vast majority of US professional techies havn't a clue what a PAL signal looks like.

well that feels so much better.................

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Not necessarily true. Whether you can adequately calibrate with a 525/60 reference disc depends on a couple fo things : mainly how your display device stores settings for input and type and what sort of signal you use.

If you use Component and or RGB and ensure if you use a composite type signal you stick with PAL setup and colour , you should get valid aims for white point and black point, gamma, colour temperature ( within the tolerances of domestic equipment: I've not seen a set that can really differentiate between rec709 or EBU chromaticity primaries). Then it is just dependant on how your display applies the settings to type. Certainly all the panasonic sets ( 100Hz and 50Hz models) I've had store the same whitepoint black point and colour temp for both 525/60 and 625/50 material fed as RGB. This was also true on at least one Sony set I had a crack at.

The only issue I can see is with the 7.5IRE setup level on NTSC : solution stick with PAL60 , or force your player to output NTSC with a 0IRE setup ( some players will) to match component , PAL and RGB. I have found a PAL60 signal shows better colour detail over an NTSC one from the same disc anyway.

Geometry may cause issues but again on the panasonic sets I've calibrated it wasn't an issue. At the very least improvements using a 525/60 reference showed reciprocal improvement to a similar level on 625/50 sources. I'm assuming the line and pixel differences are hardcoded in to the sets as they are constants.

The possible differences between the two formats is even less of an issue if you are using a projector or plasma.

The only possible need I have for a 625/50 disc is Dscaler calibration on my HTPC and the THX optimode ( at least the more recent ones) give decent enough results.

5. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    So can we conclude that aslong as you are using RGB or component, it doesn't matter whether you calibrate with a PAL or NTSC disc?

6. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,273
    ask a simple question :)

to be honest I have bugger all clue what most of the means but thanks anyway - everyone as helpful as ever

what I was wandering about though is the audio side of things - the R2 version on Play does not list 5.1 etc !

7. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DuncanWardle

the audio side of things is fine. buy either version of disk.
    this new version will i think deal with 5.1 and ES & EX surround sound.

therefore whatever your speaker arrangment is, it will be covered in detail.

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,273
    thanks mate - ill go for the R2 version then - unsure when Play will have the R1 in

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Yes there is no reason that you cannot adequately calibrate a display device using a 525/60 source depending on how your device saves settings and type.
    As long as you stick to RGB component or even at a pinch PAL60 all will have the same black and whitepoint reference colour temp and gamma requirements. Incidentally a PAL colour signal derived from a dvd will have the same spec off a 525/50 disc as a 625/50 one. The only issue is how accurate the player but this stays constant for either format.

I might even be right in saying that a straight NTSC signal will look fine as even though the black setup is higher its effectively empty information... need to get my head round that I'm sure I used to know it.

10. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What about the video?. From what i understand, any PAL/NTSC differences are removed when using RGB or component connections.

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I set my 1st plasma using Avia (NTSC) & checked it against a THX optimiser disk for SWAOTC (PAL) & the adjustments I would have had to make were minimal so I didn't bother

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Not all of them but the main issues to do with calibration for sure. Colour , black point white point gamma ( not really a format issue anyway) colour temp ( to all intents and purposes on domestic kit ).

Its not the numbers on the discs but rather how the display deals with them thats a bigger issue and admitedly a bit of a gray area.