1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video signals to an amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by villaceltic, Aug 11, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I understand the basics of audio connections to an amp/receiver which allows for various permitations of sound through speakers but I'm not sure I follow the idea of the video inputs/output.

What is the amp/receiver being used for if for example I connected my DVD to one of the video inputs (rather than as with the current scart to TV set-up that I have)?

Is using the amp a better solution than direct links between the device and TV?

Also reading some plasma threads - YUV (is that right) connectability is proposed using the plasma and the Yammie amps - I haven't a clue what thats all about.

Hey if you don't ask you don't learn, right?

Macca

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    hi Macca,

The reason for routing video signals through an AV amp is purely for convenience and to cut down the "spaghetti" to say, a plasma. Certain amps can upconvert a composite or S-video signal to a component (YUV) signal which would then be sent to the display. AV amps shouldn't really degrade the video signal it is switching, but I expect some do. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the theory is (as i understand it) is that the more links that exist in the 'signal' chain then more chance there is that the signal quality will be degraded some where along that chain. in other words, why send a composite or s-vid signal from the dvd player through the amp (where it will be subject to interference) then down another set of cables to the display when your can send a higher quality RGB signal or component signal via one lead direct into the back of the display.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Beside convenience (as mentioned by Dutch) video switching is usefull/necessary if you have many sources but limited inputs at the display (TV etc.).
    For example I have 2 DVD players, a VCR and a SAT receiver, all using S-Video - but I have only one S-Video input at the TV.
    Hence I connect all my sources to the AV amp first and then just one cable between amp and TV, providing me with convenience (audio and video switches when I toggle between different sources) and I can also use the amp's OSD.
    My amp also allows me to view one source and record another at the same time.

Depends what you consider better. Video switching should not degrade the signal quality (it's possible though) but it doesn't (can't) make it better either.
    A direct connection, as described by menalaus, might be preferred in some cases.

YUV, aka Component, is the preferred connection besides RGB (usually via Scart only).
    If you go plasma you should perhaps opt for a progressive scan (PS) DVD player. PS signals are usually output via YUV (Component) only and both sides, i.e. player and display, must support it.

5. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I use Componeny YUV switching to my Plasma, but i'm getting some fairly major interferance which I am attempting to resolve. There is some horizontal banding from the mid portion of the screen, downwards. It's particularly noticable on whites and blacks and is very annoying.

I did make a thread here asking if anyone got inteferance using video passthrough on their amps, but got no replys :(. Which amps do you guys have where you use video switching and don't see ANY inteferance?

Gary A

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Got a Yamaha DSP-A1.

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I got a Yammy 630 which I use for component video switching (as well as sound, of course) between my XBox and my DVD player to my Sanyo Z1 projector.

The signals are both 480p (or higher for some XBox games) and the amp doesn't seem to add any interference. Bizzarely enough, when I connect the DVD player direct to the projector I get ghosting and purple hazes in prog-scan, but when it's going through the amp's switching circuit these artefacts are completely gone. So for me, the switching in the amp actually improves the image quality. Weird, huh?

8. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I use a Denon 3803 for component switching (DVD is component, all other sources are composite and svideo output to plasma is component) and everything works fine.

Gary A:-
    My old yammy AMP (used for video switching) had the horizontal flicker you describe, I suspect quality of AMP (I'm using the same cables), what AMP do you have?

9. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switchboxes either standalone, daisy chained, or via an AV amplifier are an absolute necessity if you have multiple sources. My projector has only got a single component input (also RGB with sync on green capable) that I have to share with:
    1 x PS DVD Player
    1 x PS Xbox

My current project is rationalisation everything, and bring in an LCD panel for daytime television watching. the nightmare is becomming bigger as more sources are preferred to go to component connections.

Add a:
    1 x Sky+
    1 x PS2
    1 x Game Cube
    1 x DVD Recorder input/output
    1 x VHS Player/Recorder

I am now talking about a grand total of 7 sources that all require switching to three potential inputs. Personally I do not think my list of sources is unreasonable and all mainstream goods, so why is there just one solution around, except perhaps for a second one in the form of a Yamaha Z9....I haven't even added a digital music server with OSD... ;-)

The moral of my story, it is not even a question of what is better for some, it is a necessity.

10. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Guess I'll stick with my direct connections for just now as I've not got a huge spaghetti problem with the set up as is.

I had been trying to playback my DV Camera through the amp into the 3 video AUX points onthe front of my Yam 640 - could get sound but I don't have the amp link to the TV - thus started the mind wondering (or wandering)

Cheers
    Macca

11. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    villaceltic, don't you find it annoying that you constantly have to press at least two buttons when switching channels in order to sync the sound with the source.
    I would dare to argue that once you have used the switching functionality you'd wonder why you have not done that years before.
    Picture quality reduction on a 32" should not even be mentioned as that is a red herring. You won't be able to see it at all.

12. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Well it's a Pioneer VSX 859RDS. Using Official Nintendo Gamecube component cable (From Liksang) and Official X-box Hi-Def pak. Then fed from the Component out on the amp direct to the VGA connection.

Gary A