• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Video signal drop problems with Marantz DV7001

A

Andrew David M

I have a Marantz DV7001 purchased in the UK which is approximately 3 months old. Ever since I have had the machine, it randomly drops the video signal for a few seconds (up to 10 seconds) periodically during playback of films. There seems to be no pattern to when the video signal is lost... sometimes it will happen 4 or 5 times during a film and at other times, not at all.

When the video signal is lost, the audio continues to play. This happens whether the DV7001 is connected to my JVC DLA-HD1 projector or to my Sharp Aquos LC-42XD1EA TV. Both are capable of receiving signals at 1080p and the DV7001 is set up to deliver signal upscaled to 1080p. The output is through the HDMI socket on the DV7001 using Chord Silver Plus HDMI cables (8m to the projector and 1m to the TV). The signal is lost whether or not the DV7001 is connected through the HDMI switch in my Onkyo TX-SR875 amp or direct to the projector and/or TV.

I have tried using different cables (BetterCables Silver Serpent Reference Cable), but the problem persists. The software version on the DV7001 is v8.

I would be most grateful if someone would suggest a solution as when it works, the picture quality on the DV7001 is second to none but the signal dropping is a real pain!

AcademicBarzo

Prominent Member
I did not find a solution to the same problem, and reluctantly had to return the player for a full refund. My signal drop out problems where with R1 discs only, but pattern is the same as you describe. Marantz UK issued me with some firmware, but that did not solve the problem. I think it must be something to do with the HDMI module, as I tried connecting the player component, and it worked fine. Of course, this meant no upscaling (and thus a poorer picture).

A

Andrew David M

Thanks Barzo... it would seem there is a flaw with the 7001. I shall try to get my money back and find another quality upscaling SD-DVD player.

Anyone have any criticisms of the Denon DVD-2930? It was a toss up between that and the Marantz DV7001 and I guess I chose the wrong one with the Marantz!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom