Video shooting with smartphone

• Thread starter Deleted member 644137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 644137

I can’t understand why videos on social media nearly always are shot in small portrait format. It looks terrible to see somewhat 9:16 clips this way. We all are watching movies in cinema or on TV in widescreen. Commercial videos are shot with iPhone or tablet, in widescreen.
Why are most people ignoring that phones and tablets can be hold and used easily horizontal?
Opinions, comments?

Many (most?) people shooting video on smartphones are also viewing video on smartphones in Ticktock, Instagram, facebook etc. All of which work better in Portrait because that's how most people hold their phones most of the time.
I agree it's horrible to watch on a 16:9 PC or TV.

I'm old enough to remember when many (most?) people used to watch 4:3 TV stretched to fit their 16:9 TVs 🤮 :)

One of my pet-peeves is the blurred edges (look like zoomed-in, out of focus versions of the actual movie) the TV companies use either side of a "portrait" movie to fill the normal TV screen. It's clearly designed to make the movie stand out, but it's just distracting and annoys the hell out of me.

Because most footage shot on a mobile is viewed on a mobile, so vertical makes sense. Despite us all having widescreen TVs, the most common format for online videos is 4:3 or square!!

Because most footage shot on a mobile is viewed on a mobile, so vertical makes sense. Despite us all having widescreen TVs, the most common format for online videos is 4:3 or square!!

As much as I dislike vertical video I can see why people do it that way when the people primarily watching the video are using smartphones in a portrait orientation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom