1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video shimmering?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul Reading, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a projector fitted and when I watch video the screen shimmers. If I stop the video and just watch the TV through the video it is okay. If I record that TV and then playback it shimmers. I can take the video to another machine and the recording is fine. I have swapped the video machine and that has the same problem although I seem to have a morie pattern with the other video.

My CRT has a line trippler, could this be a resolution problem, should I call the installers back?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    We need more detail to be able to help you.
    What is the projector
    What is the source of the video (sky, DVD etc)
    which connections are you using Composite, svideo etc.

3. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barco LT7
    Freeview connected to the video using a scart cable. The Panasonic video is connected using an s-video cable to a Denon AVR3803 wich is set up to output Pal and is connected to the Barco by component cables.

If I watch Freeview via the Video the picture is perfect and recordings are OK but ... playback problems are almost a rippling effect the screen is like a series of slowly moving s's movingdown the screen.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This is almost certianly a sync issue

Have a look in the picture tuning menu on the barco to see if you have a slow/fast sync option (can't remember off hand). set it to slow. I have has problems with long YC (S-video) on **** 7's before.

5. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you any idea where this is buried in the menus?

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Adjust
    Service menu
    Picture tuning
    Sync

From best memory

7. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this for video playback:
    Press Adjust > Selected Source > Picture Tuning > Line Multiplier > Advanced Settings > Highlight Timebase Correction and press enter. The picture will move slightly to one side, go to Geometry on selected source and adjust horizontal phase to centre the picture. Tweak left/right blanking if required.

Alternatively create a special memory block that has timebase correction turned on by default, just for use while playing recorded video (you should not need timebase correction except for poor sources):
    While playing the offending video press enter and immediately press 2. This will create a new memory
    Block. The projector will automatically copy the currently active block, minus the blanking. Now go to
    The advanced line multiplier settings, as above, and turn on timebase correction. Now back out to geometry on selected source, adjust horizontal phase to centre the picture (left / right) with over scan equal each side. Now do top / bottom / right / left blanking to finish the picture just overlapping the screens black boarders.
    From that point on you can press enter>1 for timebase correction off and enter>2 for timebase correction on. You can also select one or the other on the format list in the main menu. Name them for ease of identification, the manual tells you how to do it.

Contact us directly if you need more help on this.
    Henry

8. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.