1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video sending problem - Sky+160

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mattyduk, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mattyduk

mattyduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Just had a conservatory finished, and have put 17" Philips LCD tv in place. I'm using a magic eye for the bedroom, but we (when I say "we", I mean the wife !!!!) didn't want any more wires in/outside the house, so decided to go the video sending route.

So I bought a Philips VL1200 video sending system. Connected it up ok, but was advised by letsautomate.co.uk to use the ir wands. Found the Sky+160 sensor inbetween two buttons on the front panel, and placed the ir wand.

Video picture is fine, however the transmitter has a light on it to indicate when it is receiving a remote signal. This is permanantly on !! (it should only flash on when a remote signal is being sent from the conservatory). At first I thought it was my wireless router or dect phone that could be conflicting, but its not those. This means its is very very intermittant to be able to control the Sky+160 from the conservatory (almost impossible!!)

In desperation, I put the Sky+160 into standby and the transmitter remote light went off. I disconncted the trasmistter from the Sky+160 scart, and tried again. Still the same problem. It appears that the Sky+160 is kicking out some signal which is conflicting with the remote receiving frequency on the video sender transmitter unit. Anybody else have this problem before ?

I even tried moving the transmistter about 10 feet away with all but the powerlead disconnected, still the same problem. However as soon as I put Sky+160 into standbv, off goes the light !!

Help !!!! :lease:

2. Robert Hill

Robert Hill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I know the feeling. I have the same set up (tho the tv is a 32" Philips LCD) in a conservatory, same video sender.Also I now have an 28" Philips LCD in the bedroom.Both operate from the same video sender that you describe. Originally, I also could receive a video signal, but erratically could not change channels. I also have wi fi for the lap top, so ensured that the video sender was not on the same channel. However, the problem was not solved, so then, rather than sticking the 'wands' on the SKY box, I have let 2 of them float about 1 cm away from the box (you put the video sender on top of the box and trap the wires under it), and all was solved. The theory was that with the wands being distanced slightly from the IR receiver a wider signal would be received! So, the message is don't stick the wands right on the box, let them float down abt max1 cm away from the receiver! Hope it works for you as it did for me.I also have a motorised sat receiver and and can now switch between satellites using the same video sender. Previously I was using a Digisender, but it kept conflicting with the wi fi and also was far less powerful.

3. mattyduk

mattyduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    thanks for the reply. The problem I'm getting is that the transmitter (which receives the remote control functions) is being bombarded with remote functions (shown by the red led on the transmitter), even when the ir emitters are disconnected and so are the scarts.

In the end, I've moved the transmitter about 5 foot away from the Sky+160 and adjusted the remote function aerial to horizontal. That for some reason gets rid of the c**p remote signals that are bombarding it (so far)

But I will give your method a go as well.

thanks

4. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had a similar problem - different video sender. different set up - but still intermitant remote control issues. Changing the Wifi router to a different channel fixed it for a while and now I've repositioned the video sender and I have the problem again. I think I'll try changing the channel again. I went from channel 11 to 1 and that initially fixed it - but I'll try all of the to get some consistency.

5. mattyduk

mattyduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I actually shut my wireless router and dect phone off, and was still getting the problems :( . As soon as I moved it aware from Sky+, it got a lot better. very odd

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A DECT phone won't cause interference to a video sender or router. DECT phones are on the 1.8GHz band, wheras the other two are on 2.4GHz.

7. mattyduk

mattyduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    just for completion purposes, in December I changed my setup for a new 32" LCD and in the processed removed a powererd automatic scart switching box. As soon as I did this, the problems with my remote sending disappeared.

8. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Dect is not a problem.
    Microwave ovens near by will interfere with the Video signal while cooking

Hi Fi will conflict with both,
    and other nearby houses using Hifi will also interfere, if not with the video but plays havoc with the remote signals. :mad:

I wish that made these things with better shielding and tolerances. Gerrrrr! :D