1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Senders

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chris The Ninja, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hola! Nice to meet you all. Hope this is the correct forum to post this in - I wasn't quite sure.

About to move into a new flat where, true to form, the aerial sockets are on the other side of the flat to where I want to put the TV. Also I want to have TV in the bedroom, which I will be doing by buying the Avermedia Cardbus PCMIA card for my laptop. So I was considering buying a video sender.

I am considering either the AEI Digisender X2 from Argos (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...ngId=-1&searchTerms=digisender&go.x=8&go.y=12)

or the Philex Superwand (http://www.beststuff.co.uk/philex_wand.htm)

or the Phillips SBC VL1200 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068TYR/ref=ase_wwwdealticouk-ce-21/026-0152487-2138010).

Does anyone have any views information on these? The Digisender says it passes RGB signals but I can't find info on the Philex or the Phillips.

I want to input my homechoice by SCART and then connect my TV by SCART. ALso considering connecting my Xbox but a bit worried about latency. Actually what I would really like is to connect my Xbox and then use a wireless controller to play in my bedroom on the transmitted signal received by the Avermedia Cardbus. Asking for trouble???

Basically I guess I need minimum 2 inputs on the transmitter, a second receiver and I am guessing at least 3 channels of 2.4GHz transmittance (I have a wireless LAN and would like a wireless Xbox Controller). I also have a DECT phone but I think these broadcast on a different frequency?

Anyone have any hints, tips, comments or suggestions?

Peace

Chris The Ninja Pirate

2. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the AEI and the Philips 1200 digisenders, in a 3-way configuration with a Sky digibox - also have a wireless network and DECT Phones and an XBOX. However, the performance was varied - as a lot of other factors play a major part.

Getting the digisenders to work, whilst a wireless network is active was the easy part. For example, using a microwave will send the signal received by your TV/Monitor etc. into a complete frenzy. Also, external factors like a breezy or stormy day will also degrade the quality of the signal. I could not get any of the digisenders to work in one of my room. However, in the other room - it was flawless.

My advice would be to try it out - at least you can return it! If you have to go for it - try the AEI, it has a better signal and picture quality. The build quality is way better than the Philips, which incidentally has the cheapest antenna I have seen i.e. a thin platic tube over a copper wire!

3. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers johnnycab.

I had heard that microwaves were really bad news. The good news is that I don't have one, the bad news is I don't know about the neighbours. I think Argos has a good money back guarantee so I think I will try the AEI model and see if I have much luck. Just noticed that Maplin have reduced their video sender to £40 but I vaguely remember dark mutterings about the quality of their version. I might wander down the road and have a luck. Thanks for the advice.