Video senders - some questions.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MR2Harvey, Nov 16, 2003.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK I guess some of you will have video senders, I have a few questions:-

1. What's the best?

2. What signal do they send, do they send RGB or just composite?

3. What's the PQ like?

4. I take it they send stereo?

5. I'm thinking this would be a better option than wiring RF to another room...correct?

Cheers

Harvey

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    1. Best is really down to personal preference, but the Philips senders from Argos are very popular.

2. They all send composite, some S-Video. I do not know of any that send RGB.

3. Only a slight drop in PQ from the source compared to a composite connection. If compared to a component DVD connected to your main TV then the difference will be quiet large.

4. Yes, well mine do and all the ones I have seen. Some might only be mono though.

5. I would say the quality is better than RF and you will only get mono sound via RF if sending Sky/DTT/cable.

Be aware though that these video senders are very prone to interference. If useing in a kitchen then the microwave will all but wipe out the signal.

Mark.

3. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Mark has answered all your points, but if it is any help, I have the Phillips model which he referred to (costs about £80). Simple to set up, comes with 2 scarts to connect sending unit to source and receiving unit to display. Picture quality loses a bit of sharpness, but is still satisfactory if it's for something like a second TV in the bedroom.
    At the end of the day, Argos offer a full refund, if returned within 16 days, so if you don't find the quality good enough for your purpose, return it and you have nothing to lose. If you buy before Wednesday, Argos are giving a £5 voucher for every £50 spent.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Something that nobody I know has tried, if you have 2 senders, you have enough channels for RGB + stereo, or YUV + stereo, anyone fancy giving it a go? RGB wired to one, and composite + stereo to the other, is there a reason why it wouldn't work?