Video Sender

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Parklife, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am looking for a video sender to work with SKY+. I want to send it to my LCD usptairs. Ideally I want to use the second scart of my SKY+ so as not to deteriorate my main picture.

Is this possible and any recomendations??

Thanks

2. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's possible...

The Phillips systems are by far the best quality for this type of arrangement.

I've tried them all and most are utter rubbish.

The 1200 is a good compromise on price/operformance, but they are all only really suitable for casuakl viewing as they are CV only.

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    The digisender i use to send my telewest signal to my upstairs tv and my pc is excellent , hard to tell the difference from original broadcast.
    can be bought from Argos for about £70 , 16 day money back guarantee if your not happy

4. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agre with Spacecat, The digi sender is excellant, good picture & sound quallity, and full remote control available.

I have sky digital sent to our bedroom for viewing on an Hitachi 32DP3000 plasma screen and the results are stunning.

Big Al

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've seen good and bad reports about virtually all the video sender models available. Personally I got best results from the Thomson one. The Digisender does seem to get the most rave reviews but I simply could not get it to work satisfactorily.

I would adviise buying from Argos and exchanging it for another until you find one that works for you,

6. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it hard to believe that anyone finds the composite video output from ANY wireless sender "stunning" !!!!!

7. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Digi sender connects to your RGB scart (ie TV on sky) as a passthru unit allowing normal TV connection as well. No need to use composite.
    Big Al

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    The digisender may connect to an RGB enabled scart, but it does not use the RGB signal, only the composite signal that is also sent from the scart socket. The senders just don't have the bandwidth to cope with RGB.
    Personally I find their PQ acceptable for a kitchen & bedroom TV, but certainly not stunning.

Mark.

9. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    well lets face it we are hardly going to use the digisender in our main TV rooms are we?

which is generally where the sat/cable set top box is going to be.

video senders by definition 'send ' video to somewhere that is in accessible i.e.a bedroom, kitchen etc where the sat/cable is not.

All i can say is that from my personal experience the quality is very good, and you can also use the digisender to to send remote control signals as well so you can control the sat/cable box remotely as well.
    Best thing to do is try and see how it is for you

10. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    I use the Philips video sender system (got it from Argos for £99 but I've seen it online for around £70) and I've had no problems with it. The only time I get any interference on the 2nd TV is when I leave the doors open. It works perfectly when the living room door and bedroom doors are shut. The remote function also works a treat. I can whole heartedly recommend it. I aint' got a wireless network in my house (yet) and it will be interesting to see what that does to the performance of the video sender when I do.

Dave

11. Sim1968

Sim1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently bought the Digisender Gold. The picture is fine but the remote control function ( Using the Sky remote) keeps breaking down. I have had 3 units now and the problem is the same. It works for a day or two and then stops working. I am using the system through Sky+ into an LCD in the bedroom. There is no rhyme or reason to the magic eye system working intermittantly. If I turn off both the transmitter and receiver and leave them switched off all day it then works at night!!? Has anyone had an experience with this? Is there something I should be doing that I am not? If I send the unit back for the 3rd time are there aby other options that will do what I need?, as I have been told that the Philips system is not good??

Thanks in anticipation

Simon

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    I've got exactly the same problem with my videosender & TiVo. The remote works fine from the kitchen, but is very intermittent in the bedroom :confused:

Mark.

13. Sim1968

Sim1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The annoying thing Mark is that I like the product but if the remote doesn't work its useless to me. I do find it strange that I have had 3 units and they have all gone wrong after a day or two????

14. MGC

MGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All.. need some advise...
    Looking to keep all the kit (incl Sky box) up in the loft out of the way and push the AV & IR via wireless to the TV's around the house.

Have been looking to use DigiSender Gold for multiple input capability.
    Already have a 802.11 (2.4Ghz) wireless LAN.. Anyone else doing this and experience major issues?

Can I have multiple recievers to multiple TV's each displaying the the different transmitter inputs at the same time or do they all have to view the same source?

Anyone aware of any similar multi input devices that operates in the 5Ghz range (better quality)?

Any advise appreciated.
    Cheers,
    MGC

15. americium

americium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.

I'd like to say i am very glad i finally found a place people are talking about "Video Senders" because i have a question.

recently a new distributer in my area started selling a Video Link/Sender made by a company called Skardin. here is their product web site:

http://www.skardin.com.tw/Product_detail.asp?P_ID=6000529&F_ID=1000318

Have you heard of such product? can you forward me to a review about it?
    this is the only Video Sender product available in my country, as no one distributes other products like this.

16. jkdood

jkdood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skardin now focuses only on satellite receivers it seems. They are headquartered in Taiwan but have a major presence recently in Brazil. What country are you in. You posted 2 years ago I wonder if you are still browsing:)

I am actually wondering where else Skardin has a presence, be it with DSTBs of their own name, or made by them but branded otherwise (anyone know brand cross-references?? hint hint. Thanks

17. Maddog_TPS

Maddog_TPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't remember the name - but bought a £30 from Tesco's last week. Piping it to a philips 26 inch LCD.

To be honest I can't fault it - set up in 5 minutes - picture is perfectly fine - not stunning - but then what would you expect. Only use it to pipe SKY up as we have a DVD player in the bedroom

My wife is utterly gobsmacked by the SKY+ we had installed 2 weeks ago and now that fact that she can watch recorded SKY+ in bed has got her over the moon. She's almost turning into a gadget freak!

18. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been thinking of a Video Sender to send TiVo to the bedrooms. I had the Digisender Gold recommended to me, but if the Remote Control gets flaky it's of no use.

As a general rule do most of the alternative "senders" allow for remote IR operation? Also, are any know to have a better range than the competition?

Also, I like the idea (but it's not essential) of multiple inputs on the Digisender gold, as I could also send DVD and Snazio/Kiss/Roku (if I ever get around to buying one!)

Mark.

19. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Digisender Gold. just to send composite to small monitors dotted around the house. My house has Wifi and tons of AV gear everywhere. I could never get the Digisender to send a decent picture and sound for more than a few minutes. At £99 thats just not good enough.
    A friend had bought a cheapo sender from Argos at £25ish and her picture was always pretty damn good and no problems with controlling SKY either. Anyway, I noticed the same small tower type sender in Tesco the other day for £30 and just bought one on impulse just to see if it was any better. Well, what can I say, works a treat and no drop out whatsoever and its tiny in comparison to the DSG's. Anyway The DGold is destined for Ebay as soon as I can get all of its crappy parts back in the box!

Another big annoyance is that you can't disconnect any unused passthroughs or cables, which (as in my case) left me with lots of unused cable and a big Scart passthrough dangling out of the back and downwards, toppling it backwards. If you have the Digisender perched on top of anything like an AV unit (as is probable) the hanging leads usually mean it gets toppled backwards, behind your equipment, the second you fiddle with anything that remotely touches it, like the cabling behind your setup.
    AGHHH!!! So annoying :suicide:

Only good thing I'd have to say about it, is its SCART pass through connector, which doesn't tie up the whole Scart socket. With the cheapo Tesco/Argos unit you have to split the composite output.

20. clayto

clayto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson VS680U - Wireless TV Video Sender

Is there anywhere / anyone where help is available with this device? The producer does not seem to have any aftersales / technical advice service. I have basic functions it working reasonably OK bt expect there will be some issues to sort out.

21. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    Video senders are just plug & play - they either work or they don't!
    The only thing you can do is change channel on both the sender & receiver to see if that gives a slightly cleaner picture.

Mark.

22. Beany31

Beany31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Well in my old house we had video senders, they were always having bad signal problems and the screen was fuzzy for a lot of the time, and it was only when people were using the wireless internet, does wireless internet still affect them these days?

The last one I had was a Tesco one like a year ago.

23. clayto

clayto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far:

I can get a satisfactory picture, depending on where the receiver is placed --- it seems to behave much like an indoor /set top aerial ---- but the sound is not very good, there is a continuous background buzzing I would rather be without (but I have not experimented with different channels yet)

I have not yet sorted out how to control the sending TV (etc) with the remote via the receiver (I have had to go to a local shop for advice on how to find the TV IR receiver as it is nowhere visible on my Panasonic LCD!)

My computer's wireless network (or anything else) does not seem to interfere with sound or vision when switched on which is good as I want to use the receiving TV in my home office

The receiver connects to TV with composite only but I have some portable TVs (some old but one TV / DVD bought last year) with RF only ad it seems there is no simple cheap composite and or scart to RF adapter available, a more expensive modulator is required OR use a VCR (but one is a 5" TV so a VCR is a bit overwhelming).

I am quite pleased with the sender but as with most things electronic there can be a number of issues which a non-techie like me might welcome help with.

Chris

24. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,707
    These devices are usually sourced from a receiver rather than from the TV - do you have that alternative?
    The position of a TV's IR receptor is usually shown in the manual but you should be able to find it by holding the remote very close and moving it around in any likely position, and then presumably you have to stick the device's IR transmitter on the end of a cable to the TV (or other source) at the spot you find.:confused:

25. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +475
    One of my videosenders (a Tevion purchased at Aldi), the receiver unit has modulated RF output. It can't be the only model with that facility.

26. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
  27. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    Most video senders work at 2.4ghz which is the same frequency as wireless routers and DECT cordless phones, so a fairly crowded frequency. There are some newer models that work at 4.8ghz, but they are a little more expensive.

Mark.

28. clayto

clayto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IR sorted.

I still get the audio interference (buzz) regardless of channels, positioning.

clayto

29. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,707
    Are you sure your wireless PC connection isn't the cause? Or possibly a neighbour's?

30. clayto

clayto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it is not mine because there buzz is there always there including when my two Laptops are turned off. As for a neighbour it is possible but without asking them to switch off while I try the Sender out i am not going to know.