Video Sender Kills My Router

PjPip

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought an AEI Digisender (DG1000) to get Sky upstairs for the odd occasion and it seems to be wreaking havoc with my broadband. Although my router has a built in wireless access point (which seems unaffected!) my PC is connected via ethernet.

Normally I get a line speed of around 4 to 4.5 Mbps but as soon as I plug in the Digisender I'm lucky if I get 1.5Mbps! I get the problem even if I only plug the digisender's receiver in too.

My only guess at the moment is the digisender might be causing interference with the DECT phone which is causing line problems? Seems a bit far fetched to me though??

Any thoughts or similar experiences? If I can't fix it, it's going back.

Regards

PjPip said:
Just bought an AEI Digisender (DG1000) to get Sky upstairs for the odd occasion and it seems to be wreaking havoc with my broadband. Although my router has a built in wireless access point (which seems unaffected!) my PC is connected via ethernet.

Normally I get a line speed of around 4 to 4.5 Mbps but as soon as I plug in the Digisender I'm lucky if I get 1.5Mbps! I get the problem even if I only plug the digisender's receiver in too.

My only guess at the moment is the digisender might be causing interference with the DECT phone which is causing line problems? Seems a bit far fetched to me though??

Any thoughts or similar experiences? If I can't fix it, it's going back.

Regards

More and more people are runnig into these types of issues as both the wireless router and the video sender use the same public spectrum of 2.4Ghz and within this spectrum there are 13 available channels which are used, now some of these channels do not work well together and need to been a minimum distance apart (devices using that channel within the range that is i.e channel 1...3...5...7) otherwise you get interference and you SNR (singal to noise ratio) goes up as signal strength drops.

The best thing to do (if you video sender or router allows it) is to change the channel being used (I know that linksys allows this) and then try each one to see of you get better results on one channel than another.

I hope that helps a bit.

Mackers

Just tried it with the telephone disconnected from the line (still powered up though) and didn't notice any real difference :(

Indeed there are all sorts of items either using the 2.4 GHz ISM band or near to it in frequency - ISM = Industrial Medical & Scientific)
Your microwave oven operates just below the band too.
Ultimately this may persuade more people to move to 802.11a ( "Wireless a") because it runs in the 5 GHz band where you can expect to find fewer interferers ; only issue here is the cost , especially if you really need 802.11a/b/g so that wireless network components work with most others that are out there.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Thanks for the replies, but I still can't see how it could affect the hard-wired performance of the router? My PC is connected to the router via ethernet and the router is wired to the telephone line.

My guess would be the continous stream of analogue data in the same band as your router's wireless (you did say it has an access point) is ovewhelming its little processor.
My guess would be to try and disable wireless if you're not using it or shift the sender to one extreme of it's channels and the wireless network to the opposite end to minimise the cross over.

AMc said:
My guess would be the continous stream of analogue data in the same band as your router's wireless (you did say it has an access point) is ovewhelming its little processor.
My guess would be to try and disable wireless if you're not using it or shift the sender to one extreme of it's channels and the wireless network to the opposite end to minimise the cross over.

I had a similar thought too, tried both options you suggested, really thought turning of the AP would have done it but no joy! It's really bugging me now.

Strangely (perhaps) when the digisender is running, ie watching Sky upstairs, after a router reset it seemed to chug along at about 4Mbps+, turn Sky off and the throughput dies again. Another reset and it's back to 1.5Mbps!! Didn't get chance to try it more than twice so not completely conclusive but intriguing nonetheless.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom