1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video sender hell...!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by noddingdino, Apr 19, 2004.

1. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all...first post, so go easy!

I recently moved house and got sky digital installed...as yet, i do not have a 'normal' TV ariel. In order to get sky onto another television, I bought a Thomson VS360 video sender from Argos. I have the transmitter plugged into the SCART socket of my skybox (a Grundig - about 24 months old) and the receiver plugged into the SCART connection of my other TV which is located approx 25 feet away...

I don't seem to be able to get ANY sort of image on the second TV and am getting interference on the source TV.

Further info...we use an Erricson digital cordless telephone (not sure what wavelength this runs at) and a Belkin 54g wireless ADSL modem/router (running in the 2.4 band) both of these are approx. 6 feet away from the sender.

I'm sure this questions been asked a thousand times, but i'm on the verge of taking the sender back...so if anyone can help me out - it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

noddingdino!

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that cordless phones and ei-fi networks do indeed interfere with wireless TV senders.

I returned my Phillips sender as the results were less than satisfactory.

Cheapest option is to get a sky magic eye and run a length of co-ax from the RF2 output on your sky box.

You don't need to use a magic eye, but if you do, you can control the sky box from the second TV set.

I know co-ax is'nt exactly the best way to connect a TV up, but if it's only for a second TV its more tnah adequate. Miles better than a duff video sender anyway.

Don't forget, you need to activate the +9v power supply through the RF2 output if you are going to use a sky-eye. Do a search on the forums as it is on a hidden menu in sky and I can't remember how to access it.

If you can be bothered, make a mega long scart cable. I made a whopper once with cheapo cable and it worked great. Only thing is you wont be able to change channels from the second set. Unless you connect with the long scart and the co-ax / magic eye. That way the remote signals will get sent through the co-ax but you can watch sky on the AV input channel on the TV.

Best of luck.

3. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tip technofreak...any other suggestions anyone...or is it time to call it a day?

Thanks...!

4. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried it with the WiFI and phones switched off? If it's still poo then there's not much you can do.

Try it closer to see if it's just a signal strength issue.

If it's only interferance from other 2.4ghz devices then you can at least change the channel of the WIFI gear which may help, most phones don't give you manual control but they should check for a free channel. Video sender should be simular but there's no standard for this so it's very hit and miss between makes/models.

Some gear will also use multiple channels are you can just run out and you may be competing with your neighbours gear. WIFI is the easiest to change and normally has the biggest range of useable channels as some devices may only try 3-4 channels out of the 12(???).

5. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the suggestions ailean - yeah, i've tried with both the wifi and the phone powered down with no joy... should i expect to get something - even if it is very poor or sound only or is it feasible that i just get nothing?

6. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With digital you may just get nothing. Best way to check is to use it between the sky box and TV in the same room instead of the scart, if still no joy then double check the manual for any magic stuff that you have to do. It could just be broken.

WiFi is also a good way to check signal issues as you can get a strength meter on a laptop/pda and walk the house to check for dead spots. I suspect alot of this gear won't use signals as strong as WiFI so may be more prone to insulated walls, water tanks etc.

My video sender should turn up this week so I'll have the joy of integrating it with my WiFi and phones at the weekend. ;)

7. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've tried numurous things (also having a shop of toys, this does help) but i still ended up hard wiring my sky, no sender is any good that i can find, i'd call it a day....sorry!

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Only problem with hard wiring though is you lose the stereo information. For some strange (an unbeknown to me) reason retransmitted RF only carries mono information.

Just installed a new GlobalComms Loftbox last weekend and have to say I was a bit concerned about connecting the sky disgh to the loft box and then having the signal carried down a single wire along with terrestrial, FM and CCTV. Then gets transmitted back along a return feed. However, quality is absolutely amazing and the best I have ever had it. Highly recommend a Loftbox for anyone looking to redistribute Sky around the house (http://www.tvlink.co.uk/loftbox.htm)

9. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the suggestion messiah...if i explain my situation...maybe you can tell me whether or not a loftbox might work for me...?

Our house is brand new, and as such doesn't have a TV ariel installed, because we've only just moved in, money being tight and everythin, i decided not to bother with getting a TV ariel in straight away, and plumped instead for sky...now, the dish is on the wall at the front of my house, and enters the loung throught the wall by my TV.

The builders were kind enough to pre-run coax so that i have an ariel point in the lounge (unused) the main bedroom (unused) and the family room (unused). could i have the loftbox taking a feed from the sky in the lounge (loftbox placed behind the TV for example), and then have it push that feed through the existing coax to make it available on all the other sockets?

i would love to avoid having to run another load of cable around the house!

any help REALLY appreciated!

10. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect the RF2 of the digibox to the unused lounge ariel, ( switch on the +9v on the digibox - can't remember how, just search on the forum ).

In the loft, connect the other end of the lounge co-ax to a 'Tee' 2 into 1 coax connector. You can get these from Maplin, dont get the crappy white plastic one. They do a metal, low loss one but it is not in the catalogue. I got mine in store.

Connect the other two ends of the Tee to the bedroom and family room feeds.

Connect a TV to the sockets in the bedroom and family room.

So basically what you are doing is sending the second feed from the sky box up into the loft from the lounge, then back down from the loft to the two other rooms.

Should cost you around £7-£8 for the Tee and you need 3 coax connector plugs for the Tee. You just need 3 fly leads then to connect the box and the 2 TV's to the wall sockets.

This is how I have my bedroom and spare room TV's connected to my digibox and it works fantastic. The picture quality is subperb.

You should'nt need any signal boosters, the picture quality should be ok.

Plus, if you put a Sky eye in each room between the wall socket and the TV you will be able to change channels aswell. They do not need a power source ( hence the +9v feed from the RF2 socket ) and you can get them for around £25 including a second remote.

Maplin website are showing them at £39.99 at the moment. I got one from Maplin instore for 25 and I got one around Christmas time from Comet for 25.

The Sky eye also works with Sky+ but the remote will not. You have to carry your main remote to each room, ( or buy more remotes ). I have not seen a Sky eye pack yet that comes with a Sky+ remote and not a standard sky remote.

Hope this helps.

11. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,813
    Are both sender and receiver on the same channel?

And mine (a wavecom I think it is) you can choose between four channels on the sender & receiver. It's just a little switch on the side.

I found I had to do that and tweak with the Wi Fi channel being used to get an acceptable picture.

Maybe you've got a similar feature on your sender and you've got different channels set on the sender & receiver?

12. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Techno Freak: THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to answer me! your answer couldn't have been any more detailed, I will try exactly as you said and keep my fingers crossed! (i'll post back to let you all know how i get on!

Squiffy: again, thanks for the answer, but yeah, i tried all of your suggestions and still no joy...i was just suprised to get nothing but 'snow'...anyway, minds made up, i'm taking the sender back and trying the hard wire route instead!

13. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs.

14. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK...so i eventually found the time to have a go...cabled up exactly as technofreak suggested, but am only getting a very weak signal on my second TV...mostly snow to be honest...but the beginning of a picture is there (this disappears when i unplug the tv from the wall socket so i know it's not an on-board ariel...) any ideas? Do i need a signal amplifier? :lease:

15. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quick note...9v is set to on...

16. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - i've just had a thought...i found the three coax cables loose in the roof (we'll call them A, B and C), and presumed that the one from the lounge was cable A - it seemed to originate from roughly the right direction...

BUT!

what if cables B or C are in fact the one from the lounge...!?!?! Before i start a long and ardous process of elimination...would this current set up give me a very weak signal? i mean, lets pretend that cable B should be the signal feed, it is currently set as an output on the T would the signal somehow make it through (weakly) anyway?

thanks for bearing with me... i'd really like to get this sorted out once and for all!!!! :)

17. rattlesnake

rattlesnake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also use the loftbox route, but before I changed over I ran a cable from the rf2 socket to the bedromm tv. If you have a portable tv, take it thorugh to the room with the sky box and run a short link from the rf2 to the tv. Tune in to the rf2 channel and see how the picture is. If it is perfect then your cabling must have a problem if it is snow it sounds like there may be problems with the rf2 output.

I also suggest you run the cable to one tv to start with.

Andy

18. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tips rattlesnake...i'll let you all know how i get on!

19. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been keeping an eye on all your posts and am surprised that for the same original problem and all the help you've received you have still not been able to come to a satisfacory resolution. Is there something that we are missing here or that you are not telling us which makes this so difficult to resolve?