1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video scaler / de-interlacer?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by d.brophy, Apr 10, 2005.

1. d.brophy

d.brophy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm probably about to buy either a Hitachi 55PMA550E or a Pioneer PDP504HDE, and feeding it with a Sky+ box or a DVD player. Would I benefit from buying a scaler? (I'm not actually sure exactly what a scaler does, but I'm assuming it does a high quality conversion of the incoming stream to the plasma's native format – e.g. 768p).

I don't have more than a few hundred quid to spend, so I can't go for an expensive one.

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    search for "scaler showdown " mate!

Yes... is my personal answer by the way

Dil :smashin:

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    d.brophy

Using a Video Processor between your Source and Display/TV is not so straightforward with the likes of the PDP-504HDE (just to be clear the current UK spec model is the PDP-505XDE).

The idea of using a Video Processor is to attempt to improve upon the Video processing provided within your Display/TV - and doing so generally precludes the use of many 'entry 'level processors as they are not an improvement on what you're provided with by the Display/TV manufacturer.

The HDE/XDE is not ideal for use with an external processor as 01. The HD15 (VGA) Analogue Input is not great with 'Video' Sources and 02. The HDMI Digital Input doesn't accept a Native rate signal - you have to Input pre determined 'Video' resolutions.

I have supplied a fair few XDE/HDE customers with external processors - though usually they are spending nearer £1 - £1.5KK.

If your not looking to spend that sort of money then a decent set of interconnects and have your TV professionally ISF Calibrated (£250) is the best way to ensure you have an optimised image.

Best regards

Joe