VIDEO: Samsung S95B QD OLED | Unboxing, set up and settings

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Let’s see the 9 IRE & 72 IRE results :)

I’m actually very interested to see once calibrated how this performs, if it’s an improvement on WOled, that’s a great improvement and helps us all as everyone has to step up their game.

Now the Sony with the heatsink and how that differs will be very interesting.

‘22 is looking good for flagship comparisons.

MEGATAMA

I just wona 2023 Panasonic QDOLED with new Mediatek chip...this will happen and it will wipe the floor with competition.

I'm excited about this review 🥂

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
Love new(ish) TV technology, but Samsung really are bottom rung imo, every year, every model, are all over the place, in PQ terms and mostly impossible to calibrate....and that's without taking their extreme poor build and parts quality into account. Wait for the Sony, or just don't bother.

amita

That box is very low-key isn’t it? Really seems like Samsung haven’t come to terms with making an OLED display, and don’t want to shout about it!

davejones2

Be really interested to see how this shapes up. A premium television without Dolby Vision isn’t a premium Tv in my book.

I often see this quoted about Dolby Vision but on a TV that can hit 1000 nits I'm pretty sure it causes more problems than it solves in general terms. Over the past 5 years or so erroneous Dolby Vision handling by different combinations of sources / TVs has caused a huge number of problems, some of which have never been solved.

It's very a low priority in my personal considerations for a new TV as a consequence (coming from a 1000 nit+ non-Samsung, non-DV capable LCD TV and 4k player).

Samsung's rather cynical ploy to manipulate the EOTF on its LCD TVs over the past 3-4 years is a far more worthy point of criticism imo!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
That box is very low-key isn’t it? Really seems like Samsung haven’t come to terms with making an OLED display, and don’t want to shout about it!
Their marketing has certainly been low key, but the box is similar to LG now, no big flashy picture, saving ink and paper, environmental (or money saving) reasons I guess ??

Tase

Their marketing has certainly been low key, but the box is similar to LG now, no big flashy picture, saving ink and paper, environmental (or money saving) reasons I guess ??
Yeh but the TV has an energy efficiency rating of G! 🤣

Yappa

Did the TV really come with two remotes? That would be a pleasant surprise as I don't think that's the case in the US where they only get the restrictive solar powered one. Dislike the trend of going from normal remotes to smaller ones with only few buttons.
As for the TV, there was a deal, so I couldn't resist ordering, but kinda doubt that I'll go through with it considering the known issues (EOTF tracking in all modes, slow Tizen OS etc.) and might end with the Sony A95K or LG G2 instead, but we'll see...

Last edited:

Elway9999

Novice Member
My friend bought the set last week and I must say it's the best picture I have ever seen. Just wow! It's slightly inaccurate with some reds and orange pushed a bit, but the depth from the contrast of a bright oled is like nothing I have seen. You have to see this TV.

Chief NL

Cannot wait for the review and comparisons Phil! Curious if you'll have the same findings as VT did. Also, comparisons how Sony's will hold up (both QD-OLED and mini-LED) against it.

If Panasonic are doing a QD-OLED with the new mediatec chipset then that might be the new tv at the top of my wish list as an Xbox Series X owner.

Jono17

Looking forward to seeing this Phil. Be great to see some impressions from non yanks who are just impressed by bright shiny things

MEGATAMA

Phil you sad in video that we can ask questions and that you will explore if you can...
What is VRR range on PC....i belive is 40-144hz?

I don’t get where Samsung have put the HDMI inputs on this TV. Most HDMI inputs are on the left side of the TV they have put it on the right, how are you suppose to reach your HDMI cables all the way over there? If I purchase this TV I just hope it won’t be a problem.

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
For gaming consoles yes but for pc should be 144hz that why i'm curious if VRR range with pc is 40-144hz.
A few on the AVS S95B owners thread said 144hz isn’t working. Poster above linked to the gaming thread where it appears some have it working 👍

MEGATAMA

In any case i m super happy that my next tv 23/24 will have support for 144hz or more when connected to pc ❤️
I sooo hope that it will be Panasonic,still have my old Panasonic Viera plazma and still love it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
Do we know if the upcoming Sony has 144hz support too? Trying to find out if the feature is inherent regardless or more of an option for the manufacturer.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
In any case i m super happy that my next tv 23/24 will have support for 144hz or more when connected to pc ❤️
I sooo hope that it will be Panasonic,still have my old Panasonic Viera plazma and still love it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I still have my 2006 Panasonic 42" PX60, picture still looks great, I sometimes prefer it to oled from a motion perspective, it just looks/feels correct (for HD content)...but, we need 4K / HDR / 120Hz.. :)

MovieFan60

Will never ever buy another Samsung. Had main board failure on one month old TV. Very plasticky from looks of it. Am waiting on the LZ2000 from Panasonic.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-M20xBT wireless headphones