VIDEO: Samsung Display launch the 2nd Generation of QD-OLED at CES 2023 - Discussion thread

Very interesting to see how this pans out, on the face of it they have blown the S95B out of the water:

Better reliability (let's face it, it needs it), return of the one connect (Hooray), 30% better peak brightness and more nits, lower power consumption, and interestingly a heatsink. No doubt the heatsink has come around after some of the use cases of the original resulting in burn it. Be interesting to see if the picture engine has improved, as that's arguably the weak spot compared to a Sony equivalent.

Exciting stuff

Indeed, Phil asked all the right questions...

Very interesting to see how this pans out, on the face of it they have blown the S95B out of the water:

Better reliability (let's face it, it needs it), return of the one connect (Hooray), 30% better peak brightness and more nits, lower power consumption, and interestingly a heatsink. No doubt the heatsink has come around after some of the use cases of the original resulting in burn it. Be interesting to see if the picture engine has improved, as that's arguably the weak spot compared to a Sony equivalent.

Exciting stuff

I haven't really been paying attention to the S95B owners thread, was there an issue with reliability with the 2022 QD-OLEDs? I'm fairly certain the Sony A95K have been fine, apart from the usual ocasional dud unit.

Chirag C Shah sidestepped the question on bent panels in the S95B.

The C series will have thin panels so one hopes Samsung will utilise a more robust construction.

I haven't really been paying attention to the S95B owners thread, was there an issue with reliability with the 2022 QD-OLEDs? I'm fairly certain the Sony A95K have been fine, apart from the usual ocasional dud unit.
Not really, they are selling in their thousands so any issues are no more proportionally to other manufacturer's..

Chirag C Shah sidestepped the question on bent panels in the S95B.

The C series will have thin panels so one hopes Samsung will utilise a more robust construction.
Samsung Display only provide the raw panels, the TV manufacturers choose what chassis to put them in. I would imagine a WOLED panel and a QD OLED panel (just the raw panels) are a similar-ish thickness, but a C-Series TV is at least several mm thicker than an S95B, and generally looks/feels like a much sturdier TV (certainly the C2) compared to the S95B. Remains to be seen whether the S90C is almost identical to the S95B in terms of the materials/construction (maybe literally using old S95B chassis parts), in which case, expect more bends. But the S95C? It's 10mm thick now not 4mm of S95B, should not be an issue on that set. Saying that, I've seen even thicker Samsung sets in Currys with bends :D

Hmm... he sidestepped the question about "bendy panels" by saying that's up to the manufacturers.

Aren't Samsung one of those manufacturers?
Seemed like a bit of a copout to me.

It seems like a lot of his answers came across as a bit Spinal Tap: "These are brighter".

Typical sales patter to be fair, which was all they ever would do - promote the benefits over the previous generation, and ignore direct line of questioning on any of the known issues. All to be expected. Proof is in the pudding when its out in the wild with honest appraisals

Pls remember that in case of this interview we are talking about Samsung Display and not the “big” Samsung company (Samsung Electronics). This question should be put towards the client of Samsung Display (Samsung Electronics). The gentleman answered the question correctly imho. I have both availaible (qd-oled) panels from last year, the samsung one - received end of april - is ok bending wise, but it is a very fragile design (by Samsung Electronics) the Sony one is sturdy as hell.

All the major issues from last year generally stem from the S95B, so you should be directing your ire at Samsung Electronics, not Samsung Display.

What could have been asked, is why Samsung Display themselves quoted 1500 nits for panel brightness in 2022, and then the panels had to be downgraded to 1000-nits (S95B), or were capped at around that figure (A95K). Might have been a bit awkward, but it's a valid question, although again, it's still at least partly Samsung Electronics' fault for rushing out a TV without thorough in-house testing.

Btw, this guy might be leading the marketing for Samsung Display's QD OLED technology, but he's an engineer by trade and knows what he's talking about. There's a good video on Youtube from another TV industry/manufacturing expert who interviewed this guy prior to QD OLED's launch in 2022, and they went into a LOT of technical detail about QD OLED and how it's manufactured etc. was very interesting and made it fairly straightforward to understand how the panel fabrication varied from WOLED's.

I thought he gave a lot of honest answers tbh. He was asked about peak brightness in an accurate preset and he said 1300 nits on 10% window. Phil asked the LG guy how much brighter the G3 was than a G2, and the guy kept referring back to a bloody B-series :rotfl: (and still just vague percentage figures). Yes I'd take the panel uniformity segment with some scepticism as they look to have bought in the worst WOLED I've seen for tint uniformity :laugh: and there have been some bandy QDs (although on the whole they're still generally better for uniformity). And of course the WOLED probably hasn't been set up to look as good as it could have done in the main comparison (but at least it wasn't in eco mode like the G1 in last year's comparison), but the QD OLED still had to be put up against a £30,000+ reference monitor that is insanely accurate out of the box anyway. Samsung Display freely allowed Vinent to calibrate the QD OLED panel with his own high-end equipment and publish detailed figures. I think they're just very excited to be offering this tech that they feel is superior to WOLED in so many departments. But you can't behind marketing forever and it will be exposed in thorough real-world testing. Still, it's nice for LGD to finally have competition; After years and years of incremental "upgrades" and talk that "OLED is limited to 1000 nits, it's plateaued! it's not physically capable of any more!!", QD OLED comes along and now we have 1500+ nit WOLEDs... ;)

edit: actually it might have also been interesting to question him about low level colour saturation with QD OLED and how it compares to WOLED and reference displays in that manner, as it seems to be a matter of some contention right now on AVS with what is correct, but I guess it's still a recent topic.

Last edited:
Hmm... he sidestepped the question about "bendy panels" by saying that's up to the manufacturers.

Aren't Samsung one of those manufacturers?
Seemed like a bit of a copout to me.

It seems like a lot of his answers came across as a bit Spinal Tap: "These are brighter".
This is Samsung Display who develop and sell the panels to other parties, including Samsung Electronics. So, they are not responsible for the final design choices of the manufacturers or if they will implement Dolby Vision etc.

We're still not sure that these 'bent' panels is an issue though, proportionately LG have had similar issues and we're still not sure if it isn't down to the tv's being handled incorrectly and not according to the advice.
It's really not an issue but I guess, because it's Samsung, more of a fuss is being made about it then is made about the, say, dire panel uniformity LG panels have..

Last edited:
We're still not sure that these 'bent' panels is an issue though, proportionately LG have had similar issues and we're still not sure if it isn't down to the tv's being handled incorrectly and not according to the advice.
It's really not an issue but I guess, because it's Samsung, more of a fuss is being made about it then is made about the, say, dire panel uniformity LG panels have..

Some people just don't like certain companies. Maybe they have had a bad experience in the past.
So they latch on to any issue and spend their days trying to put people off the brand. Bit sad really.

If you would have told me ten years ago that i would have had two LG's and a Samsung TV i would have just laughed. I was a total fan of Panasonic. They just did TV's that i liked.

However, i have always followed what i thought was the best tech at the time.
For me. that was LG W-OLED recently and now Samsung QD-OLED.
I weigh up what represents the best value for money versus features and performance.

Trust me, if i come across any real flaws with my Samsung, i will be straight on here moaning! :laugh:

Unless you an actually see a distorted image when watching content, I fail to see how a bend in the panel is actually an issue. It's a toss up between bendy TVs and lack of Dolby Vision as to the most tiresome nonetroversies on here.

Lack of Dolby Vision as to the most tiresome nonetroversies on here.
Don't say that to the DV zealots because it seems they worship it...

Let’s all be grateful we have HDR - I remember watching some of the first content on my KS7000, and look at the amount of content available to us now - a remarkable change overall.

I’ve had Samsung TV’s right back since the C580 I think it was, and most recently a Q90R, prior to the S95B. Yes their software sucks the bad stuff, but, value for money and the tech is there - just takes a bit of extracting to get the best out of them. The S95B in particular was the first of its breed so was never going to be perfect. I don’t doubt the S95C will demonstrate the maturity that the second generation bring.

Sometimes to innovate, you have to be bold, and yes that comes at a sacrifice as we’ve witnessed.

Not really, they are selling in their thousands so any issues are no more proportionally to other manufacturer's..
And you know this how? Last year's Samsung oleds were flimsy and bendy, then they screwed up pq and brightness with a firmware update because people were getting screen burn, something other sets haven't really had an issue with since the pre 2018 LG 8 series sets.
Samsung are the market leader for a reason. They make throw away tech for the throwaway generation. Its relatively cheap and doesn't last.

Don't say that to the DV zealots because it seems they worship it...
LOL, you really are a total Samsung fanboy, you must surely work for them!
Dolby vision is at the forefront of picture quality and the current gold standard.
It's not folks being zealots, it's people who appreciate and expect the best picture quality possible for the product they choose to buy.
By not including dolby vision, Samsung aren't even in the race, but hey, they don't need to be because they're churning out millions of cheap midrange lcds that aren't supported very long and have poor build quality and don't last.
Go to any community recycling centre, I bet you most of the old TV's in the skips are Samsungs. You'd argue that's because they sell the most.

And that is my point.

You break a lot, you sell a lot.
My cousin will never buy anything Samsung ever again, after his TV, washing machine and fridge freezer all failed in a very short time.
I won't buy anything Samsung either because a fool and his money are easily parted.

I like the tech but no DV then no purchase for me. There is literally no reason bar penny pinching that its not supported. That being said I think I'd still wait another couple of years anyway to see how these QD-OLED panels last in the long term before I'd buy for the living room. At least the competition is pushing LG to innovate though so I really appreciate the competition in the market.

Dolby vision is at the forefront of picture quality and the current gold standard.
It's not folks being zealots, it's people who appreciate and expect the best picture quality possible for the product they choose to buy.
By not including dolby vision, Samsung aren't even in the race, but hey, they don't need to be because they're churning out millions of cheap midrange lcds that aren't supported very long and have poor build quality and don't last.
Go to any community recycling centre, I bet you most of the old TV's in the skips are Samsungs. You'd argue that's because they sell the most.

And that is my point.

My cousin will never buy anything Samsung ever again, after his TV, washing machine and fridge freezer all failed in a very short time.
I won't buy anything Samsung either because a fool and his money are easily parted.

I use Samsung washing machines, they have been reliable. But that's my experience of them.

I never liked the previous Samsung televisions, but the latest ones look good, it's just the DV omission that puts me off. The screen is perfect for our living room because of the brightness level.

And that is my point.

Kinda scraping the barrel a tad aren't you? Your cousin, LOL, I'll get my popcorn.
If you sell more then proportionately more will appear broken, has nothing to do with reliability at all. You know different, how?

If it wasn't for Samsung everyone would still be watching TV's with a dull picture and PQ. What Samsung has done is brought competition into the OLED market and along with HDR10+ that's a good thing for everyone..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom