Video Sample For Website?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by cj550, Jan 5, 2007.

1. cj550

cj550
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I filmed some footage on a miniDV camcorder and a friend created a web site for me www.onbikescotland.com- on the site there are some video samples and I was told to keep them under 5mb which I did, but I'm wondering is there anything I can do to these samples to make them appear the best they can, they look a bit low quality?
    I dont think i can download the sample to this site i think its too big could you go to my site on the Roads Page and let me know what you think? thanks

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    your link doesnt work...

not sure which section is best for this, i dont think the DVD-Recorders section is tho, try Camcorder and Video Editing, i'll move this there now, if no joy ask the mod in that section to try somewhere else....

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I,m sure you can get better quality than that. are you just creating the webshots at default settings. If so someone here should have some guidlines . I'l have a rummage around for what I use in adobe premiere elements when exporting to wmv. Beautiful shots all the same

4. cj550

cj550
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. cj550

cj550
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks jaymac appreciate that

6. rickyt

rickyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Very good , I like the site . The video footage is OK to me as a sample but I'm not too keen on the sound quality. Seem's to be lots of wind noise and popping .
    As apposed to downloading sample footage , have you thought of converting the sample's into .swf and having then on one page ? Just a thought .

7. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Here are the settings that were suggested to me using adobe elements I onlychanged the ntsc and frame rate to suit Pal and was a big improvement on the default settings.Also taken the liberty of mentioning your site on their forum

Pass: 1
    Bitrate Mode: Constant
    Frame Width: 720
    Frame Height: 480
    Frame Rate: 30
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Wides...
    Maximum Bitrate: 1061.30 kbps
    Image Quality: 100.00
    Decoder Complexity: Auto
    Keyframe Interval: 5 (note: 0 may be better)
    Buffer Size: Default

Under the Audio Tab:
    --------------------
    Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9.1
    Encoding Passes: One
    Bitrate Mode: Constant
    Audio Format: 32 kpbs, 22 kHz, stereo (A/v) CBR (just conversations)
    If you have hi-fidelity music and you want to preserve the frequencey range and dynamic range, then use 64kpbs, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) CBR or one of the other better ones.

Under the Audiences tab
    -----------------------
    Output: Compressed (No need to try uncompressed)

In order for one-pass constant quality to work, you have to choose the same for audio, otherwise you will get two pass variable.

You can watch the status of the estimated file size in the lower left corner of the Export Settings dialog box to see how each option changes your file size.

8. cj550

cj550
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again jaymac, but I'm very green when it comes to video on the internet- can you walk me through what I have to do to to the samples to make them better? I've looked at your post but I dont know how to go about changing my samples to your settings? I used Pinnacle Studio to edit my miniDV footage if thats important? thanks

9. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Sorry but not all that clued upmyself as I said I use Adobe and when I did some Wmv samples had to ask for advice on the best settings as the default were prettty poor. Those were what I was given dont know how it would work in Pinnacle . I'm sure some of the guys here will be able to help you out much better than I could. If you dont get any response I would post again just asking for advice on the best settings for the web using Pimnnacle good luck

10. cj550

cj550
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries thanks for giving me that info I will research into it more, all the best :)

11. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi,

Nice website, and the video looks fun!! I'm not sure you'd be able to improve much on the quality for that sort of bit-rate (i.e. under 5 MB for 1 minute) for a wmv file. You're using around 750 kilobits per second (kbps) (for video + audio together), and the full 25 frames per second, so as long as any "Encoding quality" setting is set to 100% or "Best" or whatever it's called in Pinnacle (I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory for compressing files), then I guess all you could do is up the bit-rate, e.g. to around 1060 kbps (video) + 64 kbps (audio), as Jaymac suggested.

Most high compression (including wmv) isn't too good at fast-moving video while keeping picture quality (for obvious reasons!!) - you'll just have to ride slower!!! :) Or you could possibly offer 2 different qualities of samples on the site for people to choose which they want to download and watch... On the Felixstowe TV website, we only use 420 kbps (video) + 64 kbps (audio), which gives good enough quality against being low enough people are happy to stream a 5-minute video. But then we haven't done any motorbike rides!

The other thing, as Rickyt points out, is the sound isn't great - I don't know if that's because of the original audio from the camera or because of the compression, but as we all know, good sound always makes the picture look better... ;)

12. cj550

cj550
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankks good info there, I'm not sure about compression etc what I did was use Pinnacle 9 to download 1 min of footage from my miniDV tape through the miniDV camcorder. I havent done anything to the footage- the samples on the website are those that I sent to my web designer, I didnt do anything to them but maybe he did?

How do I up the bit rate for my video samples?

cheers

13. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I haven't used Pinnacle much, and don't have a copy to look at, but I think there's probably something like a "Manual Settings" tab when you choose to export the video as a Windows Media file, which should let you select the bitrate...?

14. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    There is : Its called "advanced" or "Custom" depending on which version you are using