Video quality - PC to Loewe

jayjay

Hi folks

Sorry maybe bit of a newbie question but what's the best quality video connection between a Shuttle PC and a Loewe TV?

Would that be some kind of DVI coverter to rgb scart or do I buy the Loewe computer card, or something, and use the analogue monitor out? I want the best quality I can but am really confused as to the options available.

TIA Jay

jayjay

Thanks Gerbil and Badger (I'm not going to ask if you live in the same "forest" :p )

Just tossing up whether I kit the Shuttle out or not as a HTPC. I've got quite a late Xelos, I think it's the Q2500 chassis.

So you reckon on analogue connection and card in the Xelos will be the best option? Can the Loewe card actually take a progressive feed? I suppose that's the whole idea?

What does the desktop and other apps (like the Internet) look like on it?

Thx J

Gerbil

Yep I reckon the Loewe VGA card is your best bet. It is a progressive display.

As for the desktop + apps, well its OK for short periods, but

a) Most apps are designed to run at 800 x 600 to be at their best. 720x576 or 640x480 means you're constantly having to scroll

b) You'll notice the flicker of the 50 or 60Hz refresh rate especially with black text on a white background i.e. internet browsing

c) If you run with a 4:3 resolution then DVDs will look fine, but your windows desktop will be somewhat distorted. If I'm viewing pictures from my digital camera I normally switch to 840x480 as at least the pictures don't get stretched.

In short, for watching DVDs its fantastic, but forget browsing unless you like headaches.

mholgate

Standard Member
I'm using the VGA upgrade module too (It was either 55 or 65quid). Loewe Aconda Classic Q2500 chassis.

856x480p @60Hz works best for me and fills the screen well.

You can also get 800x600 @50Hz if you need to when a game/whatever demands it.

Rojo Habe

Slightly off-topic, but I've heard this is also the only way to get a Loewe to accept a progressive feed from a DVD player. Before I go out and buy a Loewe telly with a VGA card, is there anything I should know about plugging a domestic DVD player into a VGA card, i.e.:

Does the card have component inputs, or do I need a phono to VGA adapter?

Will widescreen switching still work automatically? If not, can it be switched manually?

Is it actually worth doing? Is the picture noticably better than feeding interlaced component into AV3 (given that the TV deinterlaces it anyway)?

Being new to all this, anything else I should know?

Gerbil

Originally posted by Rojo Habe
Before I go out and buy a Loewe telly with a VGA card, is there anything I should know about plugging a domestic DVD player into a VGA card, i.e.:

Does the card have component inputs, or do I need a phono to VGA adapter?

Will widescreen switching still work automatically? If not, can it be switched manually?

Is it actually worth doing? Is the picture noticably better than feeding interlaced component into AV3 (given that the TV deinterlaces it anyway)?

Being new to all this, anything else I should know?

1. The card only has a VGA input, nothing else

2. Widescreen switching doesn't work when using the VGA input. There's only manual adjustment. Pressing the menu button when using the VGA input brings up a set of VGA geometry options like you'd expect for a normal monitor (picture height, width, trapezium etc).

I really wouldn't try it to be honest, it'll probably be an exercise in frustration. The only thing the VGA card is useful for is connecting a PC which it does pretty well.

kaisersoze

Standard Member
TNX Jeff,

I have a Radeon 9600PRO EZ (last catalyst 4 WinMCE drivers installed).

I don't find a correct powerstrip (3.49) setup for any resolution!!

I tested the Darklord's parameter but I can set only 640x480p :mad:

kaisersoze

Standard Member
PLS!!

I'm trying about 2 months.... I can set any resolution than 640x480!!!

Can anyone help me?

Can anyone send to me PowerStrip parameters?

Thanks a lot!

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom