1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Processors for Picture in Picture (PIP)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by medic3, Aug 29, 2005.

1. medic3

medic3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm a new poster, so if this question has been posed before, I apologize.

I have a home theater setup utilizing a DLP projector. Unfortunately, neither my projector (Sharp DT200) or my Home Theater receiver (Denon 2803), that I'm running through, has the PiP capability.

Is there a video processor I can use? I need 2 Component Video and at least one S-Video input with a Component Video output (for HDTV).

Medic3

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    medic3

Very few if any of the Video Processor manufacturers will include a PnP mode until you get very high up the product/price range where the Processor may have Multi-channel signal processing which makes PnP possible without compromising on image quality.

Its also a lot trickier to do PnP correctly - especially when you consider you could have one source showing material originated on Video and one showing material originated on film.

What's the application?

There may be a relatively low cost way of combining two sources (A and B) on say S-Video to make a third Source (C) that you then input into a Video Processor (along with say YUV from source A and B) - assuming you may want a Video Processor to enhance your image.

You'd then have a high quality non PnP signal from A and B along with a lower quality PnP option (C) to view when you want the PnP option.

Best regards

Joe

3. medic3

medic3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr. Fernand,

Thanks for your reply. I have a home theater system utilizing a DLP projector. I also have my Dell PC hooked in. Unfortunately neither my project nor my HT receiver have the PnP capability.

I would like to be able to work on the compter while continuing to look at, and listen to, TV.

Medic3

4. Chaucer

Chaucer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  5. medic3

medic3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the assist Chaucer. $1400+ is a bit much to add this feature but at least I'm getting close.

Medic3

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Medic3

It's not my area but cant you find a Graphics card that includes a TV Tuner and can overlay the TV image onto your PC Desktop!

Alternatively if your HDTV Tuner is only available as an external source what about a suitable capture card in the PC?

David at pluggedin.tv is possibly the guy to speak to - they distribute and support the Sweetspot capture card which may be idea for your requirements.

See http://www.pluggedin.tv/item--SweetSpot-Video-Processor--PITVSS001

Best regards

Joe

7. medic3

medic3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fernand,

DUH! :eek: I never thought of that. It's an excellent idea. :smashin:
    Thanks.