1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video processor for CRT??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JimmytheSaint, May 28, 2004.

1. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Which reasonably priced (£1k-£2k) video processors should I be looking at to upgrade to, with my BG808s and why?
    I need the processor to scale inputs from both component and RGBs sources if possible.

Cheers.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My first choice would be one of the Lumagens (but of course I am biased). Both the visionHDP with RGBHV and proHDP have high quality analogue outputs that would work brilliantly. The alternatives are the iscanHD which I wouldnt use with crt since it doesnt have a high quality analogue output, possibly a 2nd hand HD leeza which I would avoid given the quality of their customer support (read that they dont care for pal users). I guess also the crystallio..... I dont know about analogue output but beyond that I have nothing against. It doesnt yet have hdcp, but given your using analogue out, this is an irrelevancy. So I guess a shootout between lumagen and crystallio

ad

3. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi ad

Thanks for the reply!
    Will the Lumagen accept an RGBs signal input as well as the obvious component. This really is crucial for me. As I understand it, the Iscan does accept RGBs and output this scaled. Anyone care to comment?
    I was using the IEV Turboscan 1500, as, with a small on board modification, it was one of the few processors to scale an RGBs (from scart to bnc) input. However the chipset in the IEV is now dated and I would like to upgrade the unit.
    I understand Gordon is the expert for Lumagen, perhaps he would care to comment?
    Any Iscan users out there using the HD to scale up pictures on a CRT?

Cheers.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The new Lumagen HDP & ProHDP do indeed support RGBs (sync on composite) as well as RGBHV and RGsB (sync on green) via BNC.

I've got a ProHDP on order and plan to use the RGBs inputs with a scart to 4 bnc cable from my digital set-top box.

The Lumagens would be a much better choice for a CRT projector than the iScan, due to the all bnc inputs and outputs.

You can check the specs of the Lumagens at the website here.

Ryan :thumbsup:

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Jimmy
    We drive a Barco808 using Crystalio, and it is nothing short of superb..but then you expect us to say that dont you!

We are doing some great deals at the moment, and can offer you a home trial so you can see for yourself just how good it is..oh, yes and I forgot it does of course satisfy your list of requirements, plus it has 3 x SDI inputs, HD capability and Faroudja DCDi processing..

drop us a line at sales@pluggedin.tv for more info!

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    The Lumagens final specs are well defined on their website. It will have RGBcomp sync ability. For CRT use I'd recommend a nice BNC's ProHDP. The Lumagens also have service menu settings that allow professional calibrators or dealers the ability to do custom gamma curves for RGB. This allows each input to be calibrated for very accurate playback taking in to account the source and the display.

There are other options of course like HTPC's with sweetspotRGB capture cards and of course Crystalio, Vigatec and Iscan HD. I would try to view a few. The Lumagens are in beta form just now so full performance and functionality is not yet available but that's only going to be for a couple of months (less probably but I'm being pessamistic). Dealer who should be able to do you a demo of them with CRT would be CRTprojectors in Norfolk and PJ HiFi in Guildford. One has a Cine9 and the other a Cine8

Any more questions just ask

Gordon

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As ryan says, RGBs is standard on the lumagens. Gordon is the UK distributor for Lumagen so he will be the best man to talk to. In honesty though you need to compare with the crystallio. My choice was lumagen because I could get all i needed out of the visionHDP which was some £600+ cheaper than the crystallio. If you want to use RGBs, you could argue that the proHDP would be a better choice because it has the very best quality analogue inputs possible, whether you actually would observe differences compared to the standard HDP (with RGBHV output) is something I dont know. If so, then perhaps the proHDP is better but then getting up to the crystallio in price....

To me the HDP is the real steal of a machine..... whether you can justify extra expenditure on the pro or crystallio is totally down to personal preference. Performance wise the difference is going to be negligible if at all (for my uses at least).

ad

8. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thanks guys for all of the input!!

What's the difference between the Lumagen HDP and Pro, other than the BNC inputs (and more of them)?
    What's the Crystallio?? Any links?
    I guess I'll have to have a demo and compare images/prices etc
    What's the UK price on the Lumagens?

Cheers

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    The Pro has all BNC's on inputs and has SDI as standard as well as BNC outputs as standard. It also comes with 2 sets of s-video to BNC and RCAtoBNC cables (good ones). It has a front panel LCD display for ease of set up in a rack and has a nice professional grade case. The main PCB is a completely different layout and this may give better picture quality than the HDP, we have to wait and see.

The HDPis designed as an enthusiasts product so the case is not flash (the case is often the most expensive bit of any piece of kit) but the bits inside are.....

SRP HDP with SDI in and BNC out £1530
    SRP HDP Pro £1950

Gordon

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just thought I'd add that if you were buying now the would probably be able to get both the HDP and ProHDP for quite a bit less than SRP, I know I did :D down to the fact that the Pound was so strong against the Dollar a while back when a lot of these may have been ordered... :thumbsup:

11. kunwho

kunwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Crystalio website is www.crystalio.com

I got it connected to my Barco 1209 and I'm very pleased with the quality. I had the old Lumagen Vision before the upgrade to the Crystalio. The picture quality blew the Vision out of the waters.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and so it should..... but the new visions are a totally different story.....

ad

13. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thanks once again guys!

Is there any way I can demo the new Lumagen at home with my setup, rather than at a dealers. I have the option of doing that with the Crystalio (thanks David) and will do so shortly, but it would be nice to do a head to head comparison!

Cheers

14. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure if you talk to Gordon (Convergent AV) he could point you in the direction of a dealer who'd be able to help you out as he's the UK distributor for Lumagen. Or you could go direct to either Henry at CRTProjectors or Elliot at PJ HiFi they both offer really good customer service and would probably be able to help.

Cheers

Ryan

15. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thanks guys!

Have contacted the relevant parties.
    Will see which unit I end up with soon.

16. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad you got sorted, it will be really interesting to read your findings, so make sure you come back with a nice big write up on the comparison.. :thumbsup: :D

Cheers

Ryan :smashin: