Video Playback onto Digital TV loses signal

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Redder's, Jan 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Redder's

Redder's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a 15" TV for the bedroom (Vistron DB15-SD 15"). The TV has Freeview and a "Digital Tuner" but I'm not sure if that makes it a Digital TV?

Anyway, that aside, I played an old home family video (from my Panasonic DMR-EX95) onto the new TV. It started Ok and then after 10 minutes the picture went off. I stopped the video (pressed stop on the remote control) and then pressed play again and the picture returned. This happenned a number of times throught the video.

At the same time I copied the video into DVD (this being one of the functions of the Panasonic).

Upon completion the DVD was all OK - no breaks in picture.

My question is, if the TV is a "Digital TV"?, when the video comes to a "break" in the tape, i.e. when you change scenes, the little bit of blank tape betweens the scenes, does the TV (being digital) "lose the signal" - hence the blank TV screen and when the next scene starts up again on the video the TV doesn't recognise that the signal has been restored - can this happen, is this how a Digital TV works ?

Can anybody help in the matter?, Thanks.

2. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +688
    The TV has a digital tuner for receiving DVB-T, Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial (through an aerial not a dish).
    The external source (DVD/VHS recorder) though is still connected via the scart sockets which only carries Analogue video and audio signals.
    So no it's nothing to do with digital why that combination blanks the TV screen every ten minutes.
    However DVD recorders will stop recording if there is no video sync present on the input, and resume recording when stable sync is restored.

3. Redder's

Redder's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nvingo thanks for the speedy reply. I think I understand your response. I guess I didn't make a very good job of the question?, I'll try and "reword".
    I'm watching a video on the TV. The video is a series of "clips" of family members - so 10 minutes (roughly) of one family, followed by 15 minutes (roughly) of another family, followed by 20 minutes (roughly) of a 3rd family. between each of the family "clips" there is a 5-10 second "break".
    I watch the first "clip" for 10 minutes and then when the "break" occurs the TV screen goes black and nothing reappears. If I leave it with this black screen (the video is still running and the counter/clock increasing) and then after 2 minutes I press "stop" and the "play" (on the VCR) the picture reappears on the TV (2 minutes into the 2nd family clip).
    The video and picture then run fine until the next "break" at the end of the 2nd family clip - then it all happens again (off goes the picture until I press "stop" and "play" again).
    Could this be some sort of set up/setting in the TV or VCR ?

4. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +688
    If it's the TV "quashing" the white noise then not restoring video on the next clip, DON'T STOP THE TAPE, as that will interrupt the DVD recording.
    Instead see if it's rectified by cycling through the TV's AV inputs.
    Usually an AV or SOURCE button will select in turn AV1-AV2-AV2(S)-AV3 or something similar.
    It sounds like either the VHS or DVD is dropping the scart switching signal and not returning it to normal, or the TV is trying aggressively to video-mute the blank portions. Maybe as the source it tape, the video sync isn't stable enough to trigger the TV to re-display it.

As a second thought, maybe pressing STOP then PLAY on the VCR is causing that to re-adjust it's tracking (heads following the recorded signal), which may well be different for scenes recorded at different times and possibly on different VHS recorders. For that then you would need to stop and start the VCR at each scene change (and you'll still see it settling down at the start of the clip).

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,253
    Nothing to do with it being a "digital TV".

The signal coming off an interrupted tape as you describe is probably enough to upset the TV, such that it's unwilling to recover, after one of these gaps.

Suggestion:
    - make DVDs and ditch the tapes. You've discovered that this solves it.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,182
    I have had that as well on my Panasonic HS2 and E50 recorders.