VIDEO: Philips launch 805, 855 and 865 OLED TVs | Will they guarantee against burn-in? - news discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting that they acknowledge consumer demand for HDMI 2.1, but choose not to implement it. Hopefully Philips TVs with HDMI 2.1 will be released before the launch of next gen consoles.

So close Philips... yet so far.
Ambilight for me is a nice feature. Minimal design... tick
HDMI 2.1... :(
Fillmaker Mode...:(
DV IQ... :(
Shame. Still no perfect OLED for me to drop the cash yet.
HZ2000 is just ahead at the moment.

Er no HDMI 2.1 and Dolby IQ. Not future proof is it?
Close, but no cigar.

just wish they would add VRR, would make such a difference to xbox

All this software burn in "hacks" are not solution but marketing gimick.

Old wine in a new bottle.

Don't care about lack of HDMI 2.1.

I bet only a fraction are going to use FILMMAKER MODE. So it is another useless feature to me for now.

Dolby Vision IQ - This might work the opposite as it feels like adaptive ABL

Phil great interview where you ask the hard questions, OK it's a bit like politicians you don't get a answer to some of the difficult questions instead talk about something slightly different.

So Philips continuing down the track that image retention and burn-in has all been dispensed with clever software. OK so far so good and I'm not saying they are wrong.

Will they guarantee the unit - no (diverts the question somewhat in the interview and talks about tech)

Here is the really scary bit - the official line from Philips in this interview is do not watch the same channel all day

So here I am in the summer and I want to watch a cycling full grand tour stage. This could be 5 hours or even more. There will be race data in the same position on the screen all the time.
Basically what Philips are saying is you can't do this!

Do they realise just how bad that sounds???????????????
"Do not watch the same channel all day"

Samsung advert = unlike OLED you can watch the same channel all day on our screens

Last edited:
Don't really care about HDMI 2.1 personally, even if next gen consoles can do 8K it will not play games at max quality and it will probably be limited to 8k30 as well.

Don't really care about HDMI 2.1 personally, even if next gen consoles can do 8K it will not play games at max quality and it will probably be limited to 8k30 as well.
And the TV set would remain 4k. So I have hard to see what HDMI 2.1 will add.

HDMI 2.1 also allows for higher bit rates for lossless sound via eARC...
... now you need the TV built in Apps to be able to do this, as yet I’ve not seen any?

I think this is Philips position, in that they have bought forward elements of 2.1 when they feel they need to, like HDR10+ and aspects of eARC, but are wary to get the full specification. This seems like issues with availability of ‘features on a chip’ that are acceptable to Philips for quality and cost reasons, hence them deciding to provide their own ways of delivering needed features.

But isn't both eARC and HDR10+ supported in HDMI 2.0? But some games could possible benefit from higher bitrates than UHD disks?

On the note with burn-in and getting an LG instead I suppose this will not make much difference since the Philips panels are provided by LG so would this not be the very same issue?

But isn't both eARC and HDR10+ supported in HDMI 2.0? But some games could possible benefit from higher bitrates than UHD disks?

On the note with burn-in and getting an LG instead I suppose this will not make much difference since the Philips panels are provided by LG so would this not be the very same issue?
Officially, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision with dynamic HDR and eARC are only 2.1 along with higher and variable frame rate and other video advances. This is why Philips tend to implement what that feel they/we need. Standards are great, however, they can sometimes get in the way of viable feature delivery or even progress. At least Philips seem friends with Dolby again, with bits of the latest Dolby Vision standard being processed by the Philips 4th generation P5 Chip. I wouldn’t be surprised if Philips don’t provide higher 4K refresh rates, like 120Hz, and even 8K TVs and still say they only are 2.0b... i.e. not 2.1. What does upset me, is when I’m told my 9002 would get HDR10+ before I bought it when it hasn’t and won’t. Plus, an update has made using all built in Apps squash the pictures from left to right a little. This is probably to do with changes between what Philips do with their S/W and H/W but having to work with Android that seems to get in the way when Apps are used.

As for burn in, or image retention, Philips and LG solutions are software based, with Philips being able to detect logos etc and dim them using a function of the 4th generation P5 Chip an advance of how they provide ambilight.

It’s getting a bit like the old CRT days, before the mid/late 1990’s, when it was cheaper to rent TVs and get them replaced every year or so. No longer an option, so I guess if you can afford it you need to buy an new TV every year or so :-(

The obvious suggestion seems to be (and isn't really ever going away against OLED) if you're a hardcore gamer, have kids that'll have solid channel logos or, news feeds on all day near enough, go with LCD. There's good reason why Samsung have been offering 10 year screen burn warranty's and making coin because of it.

Do the 2019 models of Philips OLED detect and dimm static Logos, HUDs and bars localy (I mean just the area with the logo/bar) or not?

I got diffrent Information, while in a marketing video of 2019 the already talk about the function within the 2019 range.

On the other side, FAQ of Philips just list a static image detection what will dimm the whole screen.

So what is new on this 2020 detection?
What does already exist?
Will 2019 model also get an update?

Do the 2019 models of Philips OLED detect and dimm static Logos, HUDs and bars localy (I mean just the area with the logo/bar) or not?

I got diffrent Information, while in a marketing video of 2019 the already talk about the function within the 2019 range.

On the other side, FAQ of Philips just list a static image detection what will dimm the whole screen.

So what is new on this 2020 detection?
What does already exist?
Will 2019 model also get an update?
From an AVForums video with Philips head video designer, Danny Tack, the 2020 models will have the residual image protection for logo and HUD areas that it will be able to detect, just these areas not the whole screen. The 2019 models with the 4th generation P5 will get a firmware update for this at some point.

From an AVForums video with Philips head video designer, Danny Tack, the 2020 models will have the residual image protection for logo and HUD areas that it will be able to detect, just these areas not the whole screen. The 2019 models with the 4th generation P5 will get a firmware update for this at some point.

You mean 3rd gen or is there actually a 4th gen 2019?

What means, the OLED754 (2019) will not recieve an Update?

You mean 3rd gen or is there actually a 4th gen 2019?

What means, the OLED754 (2019) will not recieve an Update?
Sorry, 4th gen P5 is in new 2020 models already/soon available, like the 855, could get a lighter version. The full protection apparently needs extra H/W which will be in yet more new models at the end of 2020 and into 2021...
... Philips TVs do seem to slip their initial launch dates, especially in the U.K. Sorry to confuse, including myself. Each month new information seems to come out...

I see quite a bit of info is at: Philips 4th Gen P5 processor adds AI for more realistic images

Does all this not add up to Philips having less chance to burn-in compared to LG?

We had one of the previous Philips Ambilight 55" TV's and really felt the Ambilight feature enhanced the picture. It still worked great, but finally the improvement in picture quality lured us into purchasing an LG OLED for that space. It's great, but still missed the Ambilight. We have HUE lighting all over the house, but no solution for the television (lighting strips......meh). We will definitely purchase an Ambilight as soon as available in the US. We have been tracking their release in Europe and hoping they would be here soon.

You could get the Philips HDMI sync box:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom