VIDEO: Panasonic ZT60 Flagship Plasma TV - First Look and interview

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
New kid in Town

Panasonic launched something of a surprise at their press event by announcing they were to be replacing the VT series at the head of the plasma hierachy. The all-new ZT60 series is said to feature its own special 'master studio panel' and concentrates more on picture quality than features.

Once again, Fabrice Estornel from Panasonic UK talks us through the company's flagship ZT60 Plasma TV for 2013.

Attachments

• panasonic_zt60.jpg
    panasonic_zt60.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,024
Last edited:
Well if the ZT range is as they talk then they might be onto a winner. I think there is a market for a TV concentrating on PQ at the cost of some extra one-use features.

Good 2 finally confirmed panny is focusing on other tv techs than plasmas in the future..

I'm not convinced it will be any different to the VT50.

ZT sounds better than it initially seemed but why no 70+ Inch version. Steve, could you ask if there are plans for one. Surely the ZT would be ideal as it's motion will be a step up from last year.

I would be willing to pay a premium for a ZT, if...IF, Panasonic stop taking the p*ss out of their European customers.
That means no DSE, no VB, no flicker, no banding/gradation issues and definitely no 50Hz/motion dragging issues.
If there are, the Samsung F8500 awaits.

Id be interested in hearing what difference the changes will make from a member who knows the tech well. Also interested in the price, very sensible to drop feature to keep the price down rather than effect the sets picture quality.

What's the VT60 and ST60 like though? Is the ST60 going to even be as good as the ST50. Same with the VT60.

The ZT does seem to be handling all that light well.

Also seems about right with R&D, understandable resources would be moved to OLED but no reason to stop all together with plasma if there's still a market.

Nice one Steve and Phil by the way:smashin: more vids more vids!:D

With all the glass on a plama a good screen light coating is a must... they are like a mirror without

ZT sounds better than it initially seemed but why no 70+ Inch version. Steve, could you ask if there are plans for one. Surely the ZT would be ideal as it's motion will be a step up from last year.

I would be willing to pay a premium for a ZT, if...IF, Panasonic stop taking the p*ss out of their European customers.
That means no DSE, no VB, no flicker, no banding/gradation issues and definitely no 50Hz/motion dragging issues.
If there are, the Samsung F8500 awaits.

Not too many ifs then lol I think DFC is always going to be there but yes a decent reduction would be good:) though you'd loose some of the clearness of the picture.
The VBI is a big put off fir me, then with this set likely not as big a put off as the price lol.

With all the glass on a plama a good screen light coating is a must... they are like a mirror without

Well what I do know is bonding the glass will prevent light getting in, bouncing about washing the picture out. Guessing the ZT won't need as dark a filter helping light output too.

The black levels seems good .. finally a kuro beater by the looks of it

and so it begins...

Another year of arguing, can I ask now that people try to keep such a debate in one thread ;) you know who you are.

What I think is more important is if its better than the VT50 of last year.

Seems its much better in black levels but again, u pay 1k more getting it vs a vt60.50 :cool: and for sum thats a issue....

We saw it in a dark room next to the VT50 and it was very impressive. However, it looked like there was a bit of sharpness boosting in the demo and it wasn't normal film material, so hard to give any definitive opinions until we see the euro model in February. But, it looked great and had a perceivable difference in contrast and black level over the VT50 in this demo. Obviously a show floor is never the best place to make any judgements, so we can't say for sure until we get one for review.

Another year of arguing, can I ask now that people try to keep such a debate in one thread ;) you know who you are.

What I think is more important is if its better than the VT50 of last year.

ive got to be realistic about what i can afford, and until a 65" oled 4k is £3,000 - £3,500 i need to consider other options, as that price point for 4k oleds could be 5-7 years..which is a long time to wait. i suppose i need to be looking at VT60 and ZT60 now to do me in the meantime maybe? does the ZT60 have 3D?

edit: oh yeah or a sammy!

Last edited:
We saw it in a dark room next to the VT50 and it was very impressive. However, it looked like there was a bit of sharpness boosting in the demo and it wasn't normal film material, so hard to give any definitive opinions until we see the euro model in February. But, it looked great and had a perceivable difference in contrast and black level over the VT50 in this demo. Obviously a show floor is never the best place to make any judgements, so we can't say for sure until we get one for review.

I noticed a little more depth with the VT50 vs ST50, would you say the ZT had more depth than the VT50? Not easy to answer without them side by side but with the higher contrast being noticeable I thought it worth asking.:)

ive got to be realistic about what i can afford, and until a 65" oled 4k is £3,000 - £3,500 i need to consider other options, as that price point for 4k oleds could be 5-7 years..which is a long time to wait. i suppose i need to be looking at VT60 and ZT60 now to do me in the meantime maybe? does the ZT60 have 3D?

Good question about the 3D, guessing it has.
Im in a similar position but with likely a lower budget though(may change though by the end of the year).

OLED isn't an option for me for likely nearer 10 years than 5, 4k LED will never be an option for me, plasma or OLED is what I'll be buying.
If OLED isn't affordable in 5 Im hoping plasma will still be about, if not I may buy a plasma in 2016, really don't want an LCD.

Nothing like a bit a forward planning Scooby.

I agree though, 1 last plasma now and a 4k OLED in a few years

Nothing like a bit a forward planning Scooby.

I agree though, 1 last plasma now and a 4k OLED in a few years

Shows how much I dislike LCD lol:smashin:

Really looking forward to reading the reviews of this set,don't mind paying extra if it will keep me going for when Oled becomes affordable to me.

What it May cost me for the Zt60 initial outlay,i will save over constant upgrading and losing value of the lower ended sets i May buy.

But if the vbi is not sorted then its the new Samsung plasma then.so guess about June for the Zt60 to land?

yeah i suppose a 1080p OLED might be closer, if it got rid of inherent plasma issues such as DFC etc..that would be great, but would oled introduce new issues?

Great vid.

One thing I have never understood is why manufacturers put a silver bezel on the screen.

It's like they deliberately want to create the impression of a frame. A black bezel is so much nicer, subtle, you don't even notice it. But a glaring grey/silver one makes you constantly aware of its presence unless you're in pitch darkness.

going back and re-reading Mark H post in the panasonic full line up, the ZT does have full 3D, and is said to be improved because of faster processing.

now im looking forward to avforums world exclusive review to start the year off in style, like last year :devil:

think the forums needs a new badge though..beyond reference status i hope!

also i think its about time panasonic ship with 4 sets of glasses, they still seem a bit stingy with only 2 sets with the ZT, and there have reduced the number of hdmi inputs? why???

Fabrice's voice always reminds me of that fella in ello ello ha ha!

Last edited:
does the ZT60 have 3D?

The T in the model designation means it has 3D. Otherwise it would be a Z60.

Will be interesting to find out what pricing will be considering it's placed above the VT, which was already pricey, and the talk that it's pricey to make.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom