VIDEO: Panasonic 4K Ultra HD 56 inch OLED TV

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
All good things come to he who waits

They kept us waiting for this one. As the other manufacturers were busy promoting their 4K Ultra High Definition TVs at their press events ahead of Day 1 at CES 2013, Panasonic were keeping theirs quiet.

It seemed inconceivable that Panasonic would have neither 4K or OLED to show this year at Vegas, and so it proved. The surprise being that they've managed to combine the two technologies.

Fabrice Estornel from Panasonic UK gives us the full details of Panasonic's 56 inch 4K Ultra HD OLED TV

Attachments

• panoled.png
    panoled.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
It is quite fine for me, thanks.:smashin:

Looks great,guess i need to start saving now so in a couple of years i May be able to buy one.

Looks great,guess i need to start saving now so in a couple of years i May be able to buy one.

yep! i want 65" though so i think i will be saving for a very long time!

The cynic in me would suggest they've came up with a CES prototype just to try and take the wind out of the sails of LG & Samsung, I hope I'm wrong and a ready to market display will be available in the next 12 months

Last edited:
Cool vid! It was nice to hear about the current state of content of 4k; it does seem quite a way off from being really commercially available and mainstream to the people. Anyways, on the TV advancement side of things Panasonic is really showing that they're definitely here to take notice of. Great news! :smashin:

Last edited:
I wonder if Panasonic can pull this off - seemingly they are printing the panels themselves which might give them a massive edge over the competition.

The whole future of the tv side of the business could pretty much be at stake and if they can get it to market at a price similar to the 1080p OLED screens .... well the world would truly be their oyster.

Hurry up 2017, hopefully OLED will be slightly less costly by then :eek:, but with very decent electronics driving still.

And 8K capable, which is rumoured going to be the new "standard"... Like 1080P is now. Or is that asking too much in the next four to five years ? :confused:

Fantastic tv cant even think what this might end up costing, but twice the price of lgs oled is a ....start :lesson: well judging on the led 4k peices its more x3 :laugh:

Strange the panny oled :confused:they use rgb sub pixles but on top of that is a colour filter..

Lg use white oleds with a colour filter on top of that.. why the earth is rgb needed under a colour filter on the panny? :lesson:

Last edited:
golden phoenix said:
yep! i want 65" though so i think i will be saving for a very long time!

Yep need to get saving for a ultra GD OLED. Still dont know what to do with this tv When I do look at a new one. Perhaps Panasonic should Do a recycle program with discount off new tv.

stucarblne said:
Hurry up 2017, hopefully OLED will be slightly less costly by then :eek:, but with very decent electronics driving still.

And 8K capable, which is rumoured going to be the new "standard"... Like 1080P is now. Or is that asking too much in the next four to five years ? :confused:

Well 2 years until broadcast 8k so not far.

4k and oled is the perfect combo but looking at 4k hight price and 1080p oled hight price.. this combo will make those 84" 4k tvs look cheap :laugh:

vaktmestern said:
4k and oled is the perfect combo but looking at 4k hight price and 1080p oled hight price.. this combo will make those 84" 4k tvs look cheap :laugh:

And I would still rather the 56" 4k OLED

And I would still rather the 56" 4k OLED

Well u cant go down from a 65" ;) what will happend to the beast? :laugh:
Ill give u a 5r for it in 4 years need a new table

vaktmestern said:
Well u cant go down from a 65" ;) what will happend to the beast? :laugh:
Ill give u a 5r for it in 4 years need a new table

The beast is a beast. Was a nightmare to get in the house, to get out and do anything with will be too.

Ahh the curses of big screens.

The beast is a beast. Was a nightmare to get in the house, to get out and do anything with will be too.

Ahh the curses of big screens.

Dont think i could get one trought the 90degreees hallway turn i got into the livingroom :cool:

Hi

Firstly apologies for jumping in here, Panasonic and others have announced 4K capable TV's for 2013. Blu Ray resolution is 1080P and Sky HD is 1080i. So why do we need 4K when theres no 4K material out there at the minute or am I missing something?

Thanks

Baz

It will be ages before it's anything like half decent. Because 1080i is barley half decent as it is. Not Because of the res, but because of the cheapskate compression tactics.

Imagine how great the world would be with reference 1080P quality broadcast coming over the air lol. 'Prometheus' for example. It won't happen.

But 4K now. I think it's great in theory - reality - slightly different.

I wish it would though. Because after the summer i will be saving mega hard lol, for a 50-55" 4 or 8k OLED for 4-5 years from now. I hope anyway :D

the most important question which springs to mind to put to Fabrice, other than the obvious ones regarding pricing , release etc which isnt available yet..is do panasonic intend to optimise a european set.

im not sure whether being 50 htz will effect OLed as i dont know enough about it, im reading i really am... but since its a different tech than plasma, maybe the problems wont cross over!

panasonic have made the absolute right choice in going for a 4K OLED. no point in a 1080p OLED now unless there is a massive price difference.

Last edited:
vaktmestern said:
Dont think i could get one trought the 90degreees hallway turn i got into the livingroom :cool:

We had to carry it through the house into the back garden and in through the patio doors. Exhausting.

Hi

Firstly apologies for jumping in here, Panasonic and others have announced 4K capable TV's for 2013. Blu Ray resolution is 1080P and Sky HD is 1080i. So why do we need 4K when theres no 4K material out there at the minute or am I missing something?

Thanks

Baz

The first job is to make 4K tv's and then the material and hardware will follow just the same as happened previously with 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom