1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Outputs on an Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Drew100, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Drew100

Drew100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I'm new. I have recently bought a home cinema kit which has a separate amplifier. One question which escapes me is why are there video inputs and outputs at the back of the receiver. ? They are applicable to the DVD and VCS connections. There is also a Monitor video out connection. The audio inputs are obvious but what are these video ones used for ?

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    It gives you the option to route your video signals through the amp and out again to a screen via the 'monitor out' ...

Some folks use it so that when they hit sat or vcr or dvd on their amp the picture switches aswell as the audio ... without having to grab the tv remote and change inputs aswell ...

Most av amps only carry composite or s-video signals ... some high end will carry component/rgb level signals in and out for a better picture quality ...

rgds

Jon

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds interesting, so which ones carry RGB signals then? I take it we're talking serious money for this! ;)

I've seen amps with S-video switching, but I guess RGB switching is another matter altogether.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are no amps with RGB switching unless they are so esotheric that I haven't noticed. High end amps are now taking the more sensible route of not having any video routing at all.

Edit, there is an expensive Marantz that has a scart in and scart out socket so that may handle RGB. It may have been more useful if it had more than one scart input though.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There are no amps with RGB switching unless they are so esotheric that I haven't noticed.

Most amp with Component switching can be used for that purpose, though it requires to route the sync signal via the composite connection, too.
    As well there are some amps with SCART and - I assume - RGB switching: some Marantz biggie (8200?) and the more expensive T&A (German made) pre-amp.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am pleased to see that many of the newer AV processors are excluding video switching or else including it as an optional extra.

I applaud this and hope that soon we will see this filter down to more affordable gear as I don't like paying for something that I don't use that degrades the audio signal by it's very presence.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    The new Arcam AV8 specifically says it will do RGB with Sync on Composite switching and will even display it's OSD via this system.

Victoria

8. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Both Marantz 8200 and 9200 offer RGB in/out.

Not too useful though, as this only means you can pass the signal through the AV amp, it will therefore likely degrade performance...

And as said before, it would have been interesting had it offered two or more inputs (for poor saps like me who have just one RGB SCART on their TV).

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The new Tag kit does this as well. The trick is to switch four lines and not three.

Well done to Tag and Arcam. Thank god they did use SCARTs :devil:

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I'll assume you mean't didn't for now :))

By the "new Tag kit" do you mean the AV192R?

Victoria