Video output from Pioneer 444

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK, so my Toshba TV doesn't take RGB feed very well, as this list agreed. So what would be the best output to use? S-Video looks the best route. Does the Pioneer 444 allow S-video to be routed through Scart? It doesn't seem to be on the setup menu whether to route S-Video via Scart or if it can only be via the S-Video socket.

What would be best picture quality? Using the dedicated S-Video socket (the round one) or S-Video via Scart? I was thinking of hooking my DVD player video output to my Denon 2802 amp and then hooking my amp to the TV. Will that way impair the picture quality, or should I connect the DVD player direct o TV?

2. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi I'm still awaiting my 444 so can't help you with the outputs at the moment.
    However I would opt for the round s-video connector between the player and TV, simply for the reason that on my 28" Tosh I only have 2 scart sockets and the S-video connection is AV3. This frees up the other 2 scarts for Sat. PSX, VCR etc
    As to which is physically the better I don't think there will be a lot in it between the 2 methods.
    I do know that if you route via your amp the general consensus is that there will be a degredation in the picture quality. More connections means more opportunity for signal loss !

3. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The 444 does have a menu option for the scart output, you can choose RGB, S or composite. I think I recall another option to switch the S socket on or off aswell.

I've tried the S socket via an amp & direct and cant see any
    difference. There is a small loss of clarity though using S instead of RGB but I don't find this a problem.

4. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    You can select composite ("video"), S-video or RGB on one of the Video menus.

I would use the SCART (w/ all connectors wired), as this carries also the stereo audio signals to the TV set and frees the player's own audio outputs.

Regards.

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    But doesn't the S-video option, in the video setup menu, refer to the S-video socket or does it also relate to S-video via Scart?

The S-video socket in my TV is connected the amp, because the setup menus for the amp are displayed on the TV screen. The DVD player can be connected tot he amp so both amp and DVD can share same S-video socket on TV. But of course there is the issue of whether the DVD picture quality is decreased because of more connections encountered.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    I would imagine that the SVideo setup in the menu refers to the Scart as this is a multipurpose connector. The round SVideo outlet will have an SVideo signal on it all the time irrespective of other settings.

There are purists here who consider connecting video signals via an amp to be anatheama.

I consider this view to be, for all practical purposes, purist nonsense.

Connecting everything via your AV amp is a very convenient way of operating and, provided the amp and connections are of a good enough standard, will NOT have a visible effect on the displayed image.