1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video out cable for vaio

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paiger, May 20, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony Vaio GR214EP and it has a video socket on the back. It's a 3.4mm jack, yellow in colour and has a symbol above it the same as on a TV to select inputs (square with an arrow pointing out of it to the right).

Anybody know which cable I need to plug this into my TV or VCR which have standard yellow/red/green inputs? Also, where can I get one?

2. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the same socket on my Viao SRX41P. It is for a VGA connection to external monitors. You would then need a scan converter to turn it into a video signal that can be sent to the TV.

Note that most TVs are rubbish at showing resolutions higher than 800x600, and even that's pushing it, so you need to make sure that you can set the resolution pushed out to the external monitor to that sort of level (unless you have a plasma or LCD TV, in which case you'll probably have a VGA connection).

The manual for my Vaio said that it had come with the VGA adaptor cable but I couldn't find it when I needed it, so I assumed that I'd lost it.

I had a look at the manual for your machine at

http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/nl/solution/manual_hardware_pcg_gr200_series_en.pdf

Page 62 seems to show a similar setup, although it mentions that the VGA adaptor cable is not supplied.

I went to several shops in Tottenham Court Road to see if I could buy one and they all said that I'd have to order it direct from Sony. So I did. I can't remember how much it was (in the region of £10 to £20 I think) but the service was quick. It's basically a very short cable (only a few inches long) that plugs into that socket and has a VGA connector on the other end. You plug a standard VGA cable into the connector, as you would the graphics card of a desktop PC. To connect to a TV you would connect the other end of the VGA cable to a scan converter and the output of that to the TV (making sure that they are compatible).

In my experience it's a lot of money and effort for what is usually a pretty awful picture on a standard CRT!

Cheers,
    Ian.

3. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, on a telly VGA output does not look good, but I have my VAIO (PCV RZ104) connected via VGA to an LG Plasma and the results are stunning (particularly using power strip to set a custom wide screen resolution).

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks guys. The room it will be used in will shortly be equiped with a Panasonic 22" LCD so that should work fine. I'll see if I can find anything on the Sony site.

5. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has the Panasonic LCD got a VGA input? I've got the 15" version and that hasn't. I've never tried it with a scan converter, so I'll be interested to see how you get on. If you can get something that converts from VGA to RGB Scart then it should look pretty good (but probably not as good as if the TV had a proper VGA input).

As adesonic says, if you use Powerstrip to set a custom resolution (I think the LCD is something like 854x480) then it should help to produce the best picture. I use it with a DVI connection to a plasma and it looks superb.

Cheers,
    Ian.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the cable I needed. It's a 3.5mm mini-jack to 3 RCA like you get with a camcorder. The video out port does audio as well. It cost under a tenner from Sony and I got a hat, sunglasses and a camera strap for free!

Now, I plugged it in and it works fine. I can play games on the TV through my laptop. Problem is when I put in a DVD. I can watch it on the vaio screen but all I see on the TV is the winDVD frame with nothing in it. Same with media player. I assume this is some kind of copy protection. Any ideas? I don't really need to be able to play DVD's but it might be handy. The main reason I got it is to play Tomb Raider which I can't get for my Xbox. That works great.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, I'm using it with a CRT Sony TV at the mo. When I get my LCD screen, I'll be able to use VGA etc.

8. daveman

daveman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on my vaio you press fn+f7 to switch between tv/vga, and you can only watch video on one or the other.