Video or VR mode

Colin 28

Standard Member
Reaction score
Could someone please expalin the differences and why you would want to record in one format or the other please.
Would probably be recording in DVD -RW, once I can get my head around which recorder to buy.

Rasczak said:
Thanks, I had already looked at your website, but still not sure why you would record in one format or the other. Does VR mode offer better quality or is it down to editing facilities?

VR mode offer better quality or is it down to editing facilities?
As I wrote the article I really don't know how to put it any clearer than is stated there already:

"Accordingly when DVD recorders became a viable option the features offered by <Video Mode> were minimal - the linear structure did not allow post recording editting or non-linear playback. Thus the DVD Forum devised Video Recording (VR) mode.

Unlike DVD-Video this uses a much simplier file structure that allows non-linear modification to the recorded data. This means features such as partial erase, editting, playlists, simulataneous record/playback, mixing of different media types (JPEG, MPEG1/2/4, MP3, WMA, WMV etc) and, in future models, dual record are all possible."

That basically summerises the differences: video is a linear recording that should end up DVD-Video compatible, VR is a digital recording mode that allows HDD-like functionality on disc.

Hi

but still not sure why you would record in one format or the other.

The explanation from Rasczak is technical not practical, it isn't very clear I have to agree, so ask yourself this question:

Do you need to always be able play your recorded DVD-RW discs on other DVD Players? If yes you have to use Video Mode, although some players will play VR mode discs, and you can test this easily by giving it a go.

The main differences are:

DVD Video mode on DVD-RW

Plus points: Provides good compatibility (70% plus). ThatÂ’s the only plus, plain and simple.

Negative Points: Only simple linear editing possible, really just hiding a title. You can reuse space only when you delete the last title or completely reformat but lose everything in the process. No defect management. Requires finalisation to play in other DVD Players. No possibility of time-slip, i.e. recording and playing back at the same time.

DVD VR mode (Video Recording)

Plus points: Better use of recording rates by having intermediate resolutions. Defect management so reliable. Time-slip on 2 speed media if supported by the recorder, allowing record and playback at the same time. Non-linear editing. Any space freed is reused automatically (think hard-drive or Mini-Disc) and added to the remaining time.

Negative Points: Not very compatible with existing DVD Players, plain and simple.

Of course if you have a hard-drive based recorder then all the negatives are wiped out, as you use VR mode on the hard-drive which gives you all the pluses of VR mode, then record to DVD-RW in Video Mode to give you the compatibility to play the disc elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Philip

PhilipL said:
Hi

The explanation from Rasczak is technical not practical, it isn't very clear I have to agree, so ask yourself this question:

Do you need to always be able play your recorded DVD-RW discs on other DVD Players? If yes you have to use Video Mode, although some players will play VR mode discs, and you can test this easily by giving it a go.

The main differences are:

DVD Video mode on DVD-RW

Plus points: Provides good compatibility (70% plus). ThatÂ’s the only plus, plain and simple.

Negative Points: Only simple linear editing possible, really just hiding a title. You can reuse space only when you delete the last title or completely reformat but lose everything in the process. No defect management. Requires finalisation to play in other DVD Players. No possibility of time-slip, i.e. recording and playing back at the same time.

DVD VR mode (Video Recording)

Plus points: Better use of recording rates by having intermediate resolutions. Defect management so reliable. Time-slip on 2 speed media if supported by the recorder, allowing record and playback at the same time. Non-linear editing. Any space freed is reused automatically (think hard-drive or Mini-Disc) and added to the remaining time.

Negative Points: Not very compatible with existing DVD Players, plain and simple.

Of course if you have a hard-drive based recorder then all the negatives are wiped out, as you use VR mode on the hard-drive which gives you all the pluses of VR mode, then record to DVD-RW in Video Mode to give you the compatibility to play the disc elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Philip
Thanks Philip, your explanation makes things a lot clearer. I appreciate the help from others, but it is difficult when you are entering an area in which you have no knowledge

Thank you, this thread was helpful to me also. Is there a solution to the problem if you have a DVD recorder without a hard drive? Can you convert them on a PC for example?

Is there a solution to the problem if you have a DVD recorder without a hard drive? Can you convert them on a PC for example?
Yes - follow the 'DVD-RAM to DVD-R' conversion guide in my signature. If using DVD-RW VR you'll need suitable Instant Write software (InCD for example) as DVD-RW isn't supported under Windows XP. If using DVD-RAM you'll need a compatible drive (which you may already have) - Toshiba, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, ASUS, some Pioneer (etc) all tend to be RAM compatible.

Thanks - the TMPG Encoder Author looks good. However I am trying to convert DVD-RW in VR mode and TMPG does not recognise it. I think it is what you were saying about Windows not supporting it - how do I use InCD to get around this?

Yes I have InCD but I'm confused. If I make a DVD-RW VR and then format that disc in InCD then I wipe the data I have recorded on there. If I do it the other way around and format the disc first then my recorder won't recognise it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom