• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Video Only AVRs

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Hiya,

I have friends who are looking to redecorate their lounge, including wall hanging their plasma.

I have advised them of what's possible re equipment position, and I think it will be better for them to invest in an AVR to allow single cable to the screen, as all the cables run will be about 10m and will cause more hassle than it's worth with things like the Wii etc.

As they are not interested in multichannel audio, is it possible to get video only AVRs; they will need:

4x HDMI for various devices
Component for Wii
SVideo for DVD player
Composite for video camera

Along with the requirement that the audio is carried over the single HDMI cable to the screen for all sources.

Do these exist?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd need something like the Pioneer PDAV100HD:

The Pioneer PDA-V100HD is an AV converter with high definition support. It simplifies your wiring by enabling the connection of all your AV equipment and passing a single cable connection to your television.

But that's just the start! The PDAV100HD features a host of inputs including 4 HDMI, component video, SCART, S-video, composite video and stereo line input. No matter which input you use, the PDA V100HD will upscale pictures to 720p or 1080i high definition, ensuring sharp pictures which will look fantastic, especially on large plasmas and LCDs. If you own or are thinking of buying a Pioneer PDP plasma then you can use the HDMI control function, allowing you to control the PDAV100HD with your television's remote and turn on/off both devices with a single button press. But even if you don't use a Pioneer plasma, the benefits of the PDAV100 HD are manifold.

The stylish and clean lines of the PDA-V100HD are matched by the elegant and tidy solution which it offers. A single cable to your TV, High Definition pictures from all sources and formats? Yes, it's true.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/62/490/11786/PDA-V100HD/index.html

Last edited:

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Wow that looks the nuts!

Does it carry audio to the display over HDMI from ANY source, or is a seperate cable needed for L/R audio?

Even so, 2 cables if much better than 10 or so!

EDIT: It must carry the audio over HDMI as there's no audio outputs on it! :smashin:

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Wow that looks the nuts!

Does it carry audio to the display over HDMI from ANY source, or is a seperate cable needed for L/R audio?

Even so, 2 cables if much better than 10 or so!

I believe it passes through both the video and audio stream?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
There was one going on the classifieds not long ago. Might be worth a search.

another idea is get an AVR but have it as 2 channel only with 2 speakers wall mounted either side of the Plasma. Bound to be a better sound quality than the TV speakers.

Having said that the Pioneer box above was about or less than 100 quid on the classifieds so a lot more reasonabl.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
There was one going on the classifieds not long ago. Might be worth a search.
Argh, only problem is it prob won't be done until early next year! A little bit pre-emptive on my part, but just wanted to see what's out there.

Another idea is get an AVR but have it as 2 channel only with 2 speakers wall mounted either side of the Plasma. Bound to be a better sound quality than the TV speakers.
Trust me, I have no head left after banging it against a brick wall. Even after seeing my setup they have 0 interest in anything but the built-in speakers. And you know what, everytime I go round there they always ask why music sounds so crap on theirs and so good on mine.

They just don't understand...........

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom