1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video-Now: not very good!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 24, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

This is a warning to everyone! Don't waste your money with a Canadian company called "Video-Now"! Why?! Because of god-awful customer service!

I ordered a DVD on 4th November 2000, and in early January 2001, e-mailed them to find out what was going on. Their reply, was hardly helpful, basically stating that they were out of stock, and so were all their other DVD wholesalers, thus I would simply have to wait.

A couple of days ago, I sent another e-mail, asking for a more detailed response, like when I would be getting my order, especially as they had debited my Visa card back on 4-11-00! All I got, was an e-mail from someone, stating:

"You are obviously displeased with us, therefore we've cancelled your order!"

Not impressed, one bit! Avoid these stupid idiots! They wouldn't know good customer service if a DVD entitled "How To Give Good Customer Service" was spray-painted all over their offices!

Avoid these money-grabbing SOB's, who won't deliver your Video Now! More like, Video-When-We-Can-Be-Arsed!

A disgruntled,

Pooch

P.S. The views expressed here, are mine, and mine alone. Home Cinema Choice does not accept any responsibility for this posting!

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Pooch - I'm sensing a bit of negativity here!
    FWIW I had been jerked around since November by Video-Nah although I have managed to get one disc out of the two I ordered ... The other one is "on it's way" allegedly ... Anyway I have exercised my God given right to spend my hard earned cash elsewhere on the Net ...
    Suprisingly enough I have just found some Bargain CD's over at HMV (nice Jeff Healey compilation for £3.99!)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

3. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch
    I,too,am very dissaponted with video-now. About a year ago I placed an order for 6 DVDs
    from this compnay but only received 5 yet paid and got invoiced for 6. After many e-mails to and fro for weeks I gave up and never did receive the sixth disc, nor refund.
    pretty crap customer service and will probably never use them again.
    CRAP...CRAP....CRAP....
    coolgools

------------------
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!

4. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ordered from video-now in the past and found them alright

they used to take ages replying to email, but seemm to be a bit quicker now.

unfortunately discs do take a while to come, my pulp fiction ordered at the beginning of november arrived last week.

i buy from them as they are cheap, have free postagee and i don't mind waiting.

i have also never been bothered by customs when ordering from them.

however if waiting is a problem, try play247 who are popular on this forum.

however, i do agree that if its customer service you want, this aint the best place.

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

Glad to know that I'm not the only persojn to have been shafted by this company. Just as an added extra, thought you might like to see their latest e-mail to me, which is allegedly from their management. I am also enclosing my "angry" e-mail to them, just so that people can see both sides of the story, so to speak. Enjoy, and comment if you so wish.

From Pooch to Video-Now:
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am disgusted that your company has cancelled my order - Invoice Number 48993 - without any request from me! You are absolutely correct in saying that I am not happy with your standards of service, but how dare you cancel this order, without consulting me first! Your company has caused the problems from day one! The process should be easy: customer orders DVD with credit card; company takes payment from card;
    company send sout DVD or else, keeps customer regularly informed with what the situation is! Which part of this routine, are you incapable of following / comprehending?! I ordered the DVD back in November 2000. You took the money from my card, but then did nothing to explain what the delay was, without prompting from myself. That boils down to pure laziness and contempt for your customers! After I then write again, you then place the problems at my front door, wash your hands of the whole sordid business, and blame me for causing a fuss! All I can say is that I will make other DVD owners aware of your appalling customer service attitudes, and do my best to make sure your company is vilified in UK DVD magazines and Internet DVD forums! This could all have been so much simpler and easier, if you'd just bothered to take a little more time in keeping in touch with me, instead of sitting on your backsides, forcing me to do all the chasing-up of my order! You have no idea of what good customer service constitutes, and you obviously do not care either about loosing me as a customer! Well, I look forward to getting my refund on my card for $34-34 (Canadian) within the next 5 days. Failure to do so, will result in legal action from
    myself.

Their reply to me:
    Dear Mr_____,
    This is a letter from the Management at VideoNow. I am sorry that this situation has occurred. I do however agree that this is the most suitable outcome. We service thousands of people a week all over the globe. As we try to avoid any problems or situations the volume sometimes makes this unavoidable in certain situations. It is also difficult when we have to rely on certain movie studios and DVD manufactures to replenish our stock. They do not always meet demand on time. Our customer service staff prioritized your order after your
    first inquiry to make sure you would get this but you were still unsatisfied. All
    of this was already outlined to you quite sincerely in past correspondence. We receive hundreds of e-mails a day , mostly inquiries some problematic some just to say thanks. All these people write with respect and understanding which you failed to use from your first e-mail. All I can say is if you have so much time on your hands to slander us through different mediums go ahead. We provide a well maintained service that thousands speak of. You have written nothing but disgust for our company , so the logical conclusion was to cancel your order. How was
    this wrong. Please understand if you wrote in a friendly, but concerning matter your problem would have been met head on and if the delay were to continue you would have been compensated for the delay as we often do. Your order is canceled and will be refunded. Enjoy your internet shopping experiences and I hope this is a lesson learned for both parties. Sincerely,

VideoNow

Well, all I can say is what idiots they are. Anyone else care to comment on this post?

Pooch

6. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say, Pooch, that their reply was politely stated in the tone I saw in it.

Sorry.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Stuart,

I appreciate your comments. Whilst I don't disagree with the tone of their reply, I DO disagree with their crummy customer service.

If any company, online or high street, kept a customer waiting 10 weeks for their order, had already taken payment in advances, AND also not bothered to keep the customer informed of what was going on (unless the customer makes contact to the company him/herself), then to me that smacks of bone-idle laziness and they don't deserve mine or anyone else's custom! That may sound selfish, but no company should be allowed to treat any customer like that, and think they can simply get away with it! In this day and age, with faxes, e-mails, phones, and the post, a company has no excuse not to get in touch with a customer about any delay in their order.

Anyway, it's all over and done with now. They have cancelled my order, I have a refund, and will continue to make sure that I dissuade any other DVD customers from wasting their time and hard-earned money on this waste-of-space Canadian firm!

Pooch

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Pooch - I agree that their customer service is not good. Nobodys card should be debited until the goods are dispatched.
    And if there is a delay of more than a week, the customers should receive a notification email. In my opinion.
    However, if I was a supplier, if any inbound email, fax or phone call was insulting or rude then I'd cancel the order and not do business with that person again.
    It depends on the tone and language used, but I have heard from Movietyme that people phone up yelling 'where's my f*****g disc?!'.
    I don't blame Movietyme for refusing to do business with these kind of people.
    Not saying you are like that, but I'm just playing Devil's advocat and I can see the situation from the suppliers' point of view.
    It's a fact that in order to get what *you* want, then the appropriate approach/language/tone may not be the initial one you want to use. [​IMG]

9. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch,

Yup, I completely agree that if I'm left hanging for ages, card debited, I'd be mighty miffed too. You just seemed even more miffed than I get in these circumstances, and I have to say I'm impressed - that's not easily done!

You should have heard me when the new E4 channel started. I'd tuned my ONdigital box into it before hand (awesome w/s picture and sound from this channel - better than others I think!), but hadn't realised that it was a pay channel that I had to add to my channel package.

So there I was with a picture, and just before Friends started I tuned in ... and got no picture and told it wasn't in my package!! Aaaargghhh. I WISH they'd made it more clear for numpties like me...

Phoned up, put on hold ... messages ... disconnected. Phoned up again, "please call back later" ... this cycle went on for an HOUR before I finally got to speak to somebody. I was FUMING! And I'd missed 2 episodes of Friends. But I just joked with the poor guy on the end of the phone.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say to this post is:
    USE A&B Sound (Canada) or Play 247 (Jersey)
    Their service is excellent & their prices good! Glad that I've not had the misfortune to try Video-when-I-feel-like-it!!

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

I just want to say "Thanks" to everyone for their kind comments and support. I agree with the forum poster who said that you need to use appropriate language and tone when contacting these companies. Despite this, sometimes only the threat of legal action or whatever will get the job done.

Ultimately however, I am sticking with the one company that I have always bought my Region 1 DVD's from, and for whom I sometimes "champion the cause" for:- DC-DVD. Their site is at: www.dc-dvd.co.uk and is worth a look at. Their prices aren't the cheapest, nor are they the fastest for delivery times (normally 5-7 days from date of order), BUT they are good people, the company is reliable, the site is actually useful and holds in-depth detials on many of their titles, and they have good customer services.

Have so-far only placed one-order via "Play 24/7", and was reasonably happy, but they are nothing to get excited about, in my opinion. Yes, you can pre-order many R1 titles much earlier than other online stores, but then that's not something that overly bothers me. However, the boxed sets at £17-99 is one good thing! Alas, "Play" have let me down a little, by giving the "Legend: Tin Edition" set a Jan 1st 2001 Release Date, but have the words "UNAVAILABLE" or "OUT OF STOCK" on their site!

Pooch

12. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Pooch,
    Try and memorise the following;-its nice to be important-but its more important to be nice!...lol..

13. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes I have to agree Video-now are an absolute waste of time and money. There have frequently been people saying how bad they are. I am still waiting for a disc ,from feb of last year. They don't usually reply to emails, although they did send me a circular last week sating they are offering free shiping with thier discs! Cheeky b******s.

------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Charles wrote: "Try and memorise the following;-its nice to be important-but its more important to be nice!... lol.."

Shame that "Video-When-we-can-be-arsed" don't also listen to that piece of advice!

Pooch