1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Noise/Grainy Picture Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeTV, Sep 16, 2004.

1. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I have a PC attached to an CRT based RPTV via a radeon card's VGA connector. I have recently been moving components around inside the PC, and now the picture is grainy. It looks like the VGA signal has some electrical interference. My question is this: is it likely to be caused by something that I've done inside the PC (like moving cables), or something external (is the TV packing up?). I've tried repositioning the VGA cable, in case there was electrical interference from a power line or something, but this hasn't helped. I have also tried reseating the graphics card, and making sure the cable is connected tightly at both ends. Do I need a new graphics card? A new display? Any ideas as to how I can diagnose the problem further? The image used to be crystal clear - it's only been bad since the weekend. I don't have another CRT monitor I can use to test. Could this be caused by the position of the IDE cables inside? Or perhaps it's an electrical grounding problem? The picture graininess isn't severe, but clearly visible on solid coloured surfaces - and a consistent texture (it's constant, and it isn't a moving pattern).

Any ideas? Cheers.

(ps. it's a dual vga radeon, so I may try swapping the connectors around and see if that makes a difference)

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mike

as a quick check try removing as many of the other boards from your PC, perhaps there is some interference being picked up by the Radeon as a result of changing things around internally.

good luck with it.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Cheers. I'll give that a go.

Mike.

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I've solved it. My spdif cable to my receiver was loose. I'm surprised it had that effect on the picture. Weird.

Cheers.
    :thumbsup: