1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Nasty query, can you help me please?!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 23, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

Those of you who know of or collect old Video Nasties, will probably have heard of Romano Scavolini's 1981 shocker "Nightmares In A Damaged Brain" (aka "Nightmares").

Yesterday - 22nd April - the UK DVD was released. :) However, it appears that no one is able to confirm or deny whether or not it is an uncut version, even though it's longer than the original BBFC X-certificate cinema cut. :confused:

The BBFC website states that:
    On 22nd April 1982, "Nightmares In A Damaged Brain" was submitted to them. It was classified, after cuts, as an "X" certificate, with a running time of 92m 43s.

On the 26th March 2002, "Nightmare" was submitted, pre-cut, and classified with no extra cuts, as an "18" certificate, with a duration of 95m 55s. The DVD cover though, restores the film to its original title of "Nightmares In A Damaged Brain".

Yet, "Dark Side" magazine author Allan Bryce's book "Video Nasties" states that the film only runs to some 86 minutes!!! Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! :mad:

Now, I checked out the SexGoreMutants website at: http://www.sexgoremutants.f9.co.uk and they say:

There has been a lot of discussion amongst horror fans about Screen Entertainment's impending DVD release of 'Nightmares in a Damaged Brain' , so SGM has contacted all involved and here's the diary of what we uncovered...

Firstly, Screen announced "We have BBFC approval and the release of Nightmare (In A Damaged Brain) will go ahead April 22nd 2002 as planned. [No Cuts] Running Time 95 mins 55 secs". So we then asked Screen if any pre-cuts had been made before submission and were told "No pre-Cuts by us. The US rights owner delivered a newly mastered version which might be 2 mins short but we're checking on that. It could also be the conversion speed."

Things got confusing though when the BBFC announced that the film had indeed been passed without cuts but stated "it was clear that the version submitted was not the full version of the film and that at least two sequences of gore have been reduced in a similar fashion to the 'X' rated UK cinema version." (interesting to note that the BBFC are keen horror aficionados!)

We then asked Screen about this and they replied "Must be that the US sent us their "R" rated version. No other explanation. Anyway the film was so strong it took several viewings. And obviously the editing was done so well no one is sure where the edits were exactly. So I think the release won't be disappointing." SGM's US correspondent Carl Isonhart approached US holders Program Power about the planned US release and although they initially said that their disc will probably be a "R" rated version they then stated that the version that they are releasing is the uncut version, NOT the "R" rated cut.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

As you can see, this is all mightily confusing. So, I guess I'm going to be really annoying and ask you folks if anyone knows the answers to any of the following queries:

1) What was the original USA running time of "Nightmares..."?

2) If there are 2 minutes, or so, of missing material (according to the BBFC), then what has been cut?

3) Will the US DVD be the same cut as the UK DVD release, or a more sanitised cut, or a genuinely, 100% totally uncensored, full-gory-glory version?!

4) Who is distributing the US DVD edition?

5) Any news on when it might be out?

I hope someone can help me, as I'd quite like to buy the DVD, but only if it's the longest version possible. (I don't want another UK botch-job, where the film is claimed to be uncut, but actually has material missing, regardless of what the missing material is of!)

Cheers, in advance,

Pooch

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Lucky 13 are releasing the US version from a (confirmed) uncut print, but there's no set release date yet. They didn't supply the R-rated print to Screen Entertainment, someone else did. I couldn't say exactly what's missing as I haven't seen it but it is missing elements of gore from at least 2 very bloody moments...so it is cut although it 's longer than we previously had released here - not really Screen Entertainment's fault although if they'd looked a bit harder they could have found a fully uncut print. I've got an uncut copy kicking around my loft somewhere on tape but I haven't seen it in a while so I couldn't swear to what the running time is. I know for a fact it's uncut though.

I'd say rent the UK disc and see if you like the film enough to buy the US version when it gets released. Don't buy the UK disc though if you want a totally uncensored version of the film

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Rambo,

Many, many thanks for your response! You've just made my day! :)

Now, I know not to bother buying the censored UK version! PLus, I expect the US version will have better sound, better picture, and probably loads of extras as well.

Do you have any information on this company called "Lucky 13" you mention, as I've never heard of them? Do they have a website?

Thanks again! :) :)

Pooch

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I can't give you a web address as I don't know one, but I can tell you that "Lucky 13" is a range of cult horror flicks released by Navarre video and distributed through Pioneer in the states. They did a release for 1987's low rent gore film called Slaughterhouse and the disc was one of the best spec'ed discs I've ever seen for that kind of film...(from amazon.com)

• Commentary by writer/director Rick Roessler, producer Jerry Encoe and production designer Mike Scaglione
    • Production notes
    • Theatrical trailer(s), TV spot(s)
    • Making-Of Documentary
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurette: Financing and Distribution of Independent Horror Films, Buddy Tours Georgetown University (hidden camera featurette)
    • Featurette: Buddy Goes to Washington - Buddy cuts up with Reagan and North cutouts
    • more!: 92 page original screenplay, 98 page photo album, 16 page budget form, 34 page distributor contract, Thumbnail sketches of ad concepts, Newspaper clippings, ads and reviews

They announced NIADB a while ago, so if they're still releasing it (I haven't heard otherwise yet) I don't think we need worry about a lack of extras.
    Hope this helps.

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Off the message boards at home....

"i knew i should of waited ... nice transfer.. shame about the cuts ... it runs 3 1/2 minutes shorter than the dutch video i have .... a line on the back gives it away a bit ...some photos on sleeve may be from scenes which have been edited for certification purposes ..... i pre-ordered from play so didnt see it before i bought it... i have not watched it all yet but every scene involing the severed head spurting blood is cut ....i knew i should of waited"

I guess that seals it Pooch.