• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Video nasties - are any worth buying

happychappy69

Am considering buying "the best" of the 70's/80's in this genre.

Any suggestions (uk only please)

happychappy69

Great thread here about the original DPP39

My DPP39 video nasties quest/reviews | AVForums

But if you're talking about the best of the genre from the 70/80's that's a completely different story ;)

Thats the thread I was thinking about, but forgot the title.

I knew if I posted a question about the subject Mr Duvet would supply the goods

Am looking for the best films in the genre and the best looking editions (uk/region free) also any suggestions for decent films that Mrs Whitehouse forgot

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Personally, the best films on these lists ('Prosecuted' and 'Non-prosecuted') are Tenebrae, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Dead and Buried, and The Evil Dead.

From those listed below that in the lists headed 'Films banned by the BBFC but not classed as video nasties' and 'Other films grouped with video nasties', you can certainly add Straw Dogs, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, A Clockwork Orange, and The Exorcist.

All IMVHO, of course.

One more film I can't find listed there, and I don't know why (might have missed it) is Dawn of the Dead. It wasn't allowed a release for some years, and then was initially only released in cut form.

I think if you're a film fan who likes films because they're good films, and you're not snobby about horror films as long as they have merit, they're the ones I feel you could best argue a case for.

Steve W

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Seems odd, working fine here, hmmm!

Are you looking for specifically Blu-ray or DVD or both?

happychappy69

Dvd initially, then get the ones I like on blu - unless of course the quality on the dvd is known to be superior

The link you graciously supplied only works online, not on the app, puzzling

quarry2006

Apparently John Martin's Seduction Of The Gullible is a good read on the subject.

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
From the DPP 39 I think there are only 3 or 4 I haven't seen. I've highlighted the titles I can recommend. There are lots of others that are worth watching on the list just for laughs but if you're after a decent flick best to stick with those IMO ;)

Absurd
The Anthropophagous Beast
Axe
The Beast In Heat
Blood Bath
Blood Feast
Blood Rites
Bloody Moon
The Burning (uncut version)
Cannibal Apocalypse
Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Holocaust
The Cannibal Man
Devil Hunter
Don't Go In The Woods Alone
Driller Killer
Evilspeak
Expose
Faces Of Death
Fight For Your Life
Forest Of Fear
Frankenstein (Andy Warhol)
Gestapos Last Orgy
The House By The Cemetery
The House On The Edge Of The Park
I Spit On Your Grave
Island Of Death
The Last House On The Left
Love Camp 7
Madhouse
Mardi Gras Massacre
Nightmares Of A Dangerous Brain
Night Of The Bloody Apes
Night Of The Demon
Snuff
SS Experiment Camp
Tenebrae
Werewolf Of The Yeti
Zombie Flesh Eaters

Tenebrae, ZFE, The House By The Cemetery are all available via Arrow. , The Burning is available uncut from Australia (region B) from Shock, Evilspeak is now out of print in the UK but is coming to US Blu-ray next month though will be region locked, Madhouse is available from the US via R1 DVD as is Fight For Your Life (Blue Underground)

happychappy69

Cheers for the list, have never heard of "fight for your life"

I would love a copy of The Burning, probably the best of the teen slasher genre imo
Haven't seen tenebrae, something I always planned to correct but opportunity has never arisen

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
Some great ones already mentioned, Id always recommend The Last House on the Left, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I Spit on Your Grave and The Burning

Hugh

Distinguished Member
Hey HappyChappy,

Yes, there are definitely some of the nasties that are worth buying.

The guys above have pretty much nailed which are worth seeing, but I'll just give you my twopenneth too. Can't hurt having another opinion.

First off, I'd really recommend the "Video Nasties : The Definitive Guide DVD". Trailers for all the films and nice reviews from respected horror film reviewers, plus a fantastic documentary.

Also, "The Seduction of the Gullible" is a great read.

The films I'd recommend from the 39,
The Burning
Cannibal Apocalypse
Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Holocaust
Evilspeak
Fight For Your Life
The House By The Cemetery
I Spit On Your Grave
Madhouse
Nightmares In A Damaged Brain
Tenebrae
Zombie Flesh Eaters

By the way, my thread (linked by DickieDuvet) should tell you which country the discs are from and the Region. If you want any more info on any of the discs, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

happychappy69

Many thanks Hugh/Dickie

So I was looking on Amazon, pricing up films and discovered ZFE 2 and 3, has anyone seen either of these little gems.

Are there any shopping sites that you guys would recommend?

Hugh

Distinguished Member
Don't think I've seen ZFE2 and 3. These films are a nightmare of misnamed cash-in titles. o_O

The ZFE2 you'll find on Amazon has nothing to do with Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters other than the title. That film is also known as Bruno Mattei's Zombie 3. Also, steer well clear of the Vipco (Plain black covers) titles. They are heavily cut.

Stick to the DVD releases with the covers from the companies I've listed and you'll be getting either the uncut, or as near to uncut (I've got cut versions of Cannibal Apocalypse and Holocaust in my collection for various reasons). There are lots of versions of all of these films with varying levels of censorship. Those I've got are all good versions.

Melon Farmers Censorship Watch is another site you should check out. It will list all these titles (with alternate titles) with info on whether each release is cut or not. Was invaluable when I was going through the list.

As for places to buy, not much I'm afraid. There's your standard Amazon.co.uk for UK tiles, .com for US titles and Movietyme for some of those harder to find titles. Then of course there's ebay. This is where you'll need to go for the rarer out-of-print titles, of which there are now a few. These will be costly and there's always a risk involved with ebay.

Last edited:

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Mary Whitehouse was an old **** and I'm glad she's dead.

Just sayin.

I don't think any of the 'official' list are any good although 1 or 2 are of interest but I've not bought any Blu-rays of them.

The greatest non-video nasty Video Nasty is of course The Evil Dead which is still great of course.

evildeadvhs.jpg

My precious.

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Always good to see VHS artwork, another great book to look up is The Art Of The Video Nasty by Nigel Wingrove & Marc Morris.

Whilst rooting about in the loft a few weeks back I managed to find a few VHS tapes incl the Embassy releases of Humongous, Escape From New York & The Fog. Also found The Beast Within and Halloween II up there. Love these things :)

happychappy69

Always good to see VHS artwork, another great book to look up is The Art Of The Video Nasty by Nigel Wingrove & Marc Morris.

Whilst rooting about in the loft a few weeks back I managed to find a few VHS tapes incl the Embassy releases of Humongous, Escape From New York & The Fog. Also found The Beast Within and Halloween II up there. Love these things :)

Have you still got a VHS player?

If so will it go in the new babies cot?
(I sure i read on another thread you have a little one on the way)

Loopthrough

The Burning and Tenebrae are essential, but I would start with the classics like Evil Dead and ZFE.

They haven't dated like some of the crap on the list and are well made entertaining movies.

happychappy69

The Burning and Tenebrae are essential, but I would start with the classics like Evil Dead and ZFE.

They haven't dated like some of the crap on the list and are well made entertaining movies.

ZFE and the evil dead (trilogy) are always top of my shopping list whenever i change format.

Does anyone know why Vipco sell mercilessly hacked copies of DVD/Blu-ray? I've seen these on Amazon along with the sterling (cough) reviews they receive.

It certainly appears that Tenebrae will have to be bought on faith - how can so many recommendations be wrong.

Loopthrough

ZFE and the evil dead (trilogy) are always top of my shopping list whenever i change format.

Does anyone know why Vipco sell mercilessly hacked copies of DVD/Blu-ray? I've seen these on Amazon along with the sterling (cough) reviews they receive.

It certainly appears that Tenebrae will have to be bought on faith - how can so many recommendations be wrong.
Vipco is long gone (thank God!) but some pirate label called Cornerstone is still repackaging the old discs and flogging them as the "beyond terror" collection... it's just the Vipco disc inside though with a laser printed cover. Aren't those positive reviews from years ago before better versions came along?!

Talking of Vipco, although they weren't nasties, have you seen Stagefright is coming to Blu-ray and The Incredible Melting Man too?!

Last edited:

quarry2006

I have a Vipco copy of Tobe Hooper's Death Trap. Has a more complete version of this been released since? Granted, it's not exactly genre gold but it has its moments and is by no means the director's worst effort.

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
Was both Madman & Bodycount considered "video nasties" if so and if you can get hold of them as I've still only got standard DVD's of both, they are worth a watch. I've always loved both, Madman Mars is a particular nasty perpetrator. I'm probably the only one who also loves Body count and it has some particular great kill scenes, from the usual teen fodder

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom