Video mode on Raspberry Pi4 (retropi) through HDMI port on Denon Receiver

SpikeyGG

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Denon AVR-S760H. I have a retropi Raspberry Pi4 that serves a bunch of games from raspbian. Historically, I ran the HDMI cable directly into the TV and it works great (hires). However, when I try to run the HDMI through the receiver the video mode is terrible (like 640x480 or something very low).

Does anyone know how to run the HDMI through the receiver without a loss of resolution? It's almost like the raspberry pi cannot detect that the TV supports the high resolution (through the receiver) so it defaults to something very low. I went into raspi-config and enabled the 4k-60hz option but my TV is quite old (Sony Bravia 52W4100) and only supports up to 1080p so, as expected, enabling that option on retropi did nothing.

I recently purchased a Denon AVR-S760H. I have a retropi Raspberry Pi4 that serves a bunch of games from raspbian. Historically, I ran the HDMI cable directly into the TV and it works great (hires). However, when I try to run the HDMI through the receiver the video mode is terrible (like 640x480 or something very low).

Does anyone know how to run the HDMI through the receiver without a loss of resolution? It's almost like the raspberry pi cannot detect that the TV supports the high resolution (through the receiver) so it defaults to something very low. I went into raspi-config and enabled the 4k-60hz option but my TV is quite old (Sony Bravia 52W4100) and only supports up to 1080p so, as expected, enabling that option on retropi did nothing.
I have just purchased a Denon AVR-X1700H and I'm having difficulty getting the Raspberry Pi 4 to display.

It worked fine through the Onkyo I had previously.

Check the Denon User Manual - you may find a certain HDMI Input is designated or can be enabled for 'PC' mode.

If the Raspi is not seeing an EDID it understand from the AVR you can add a device such as the HDFury Dr HDMI, DR HDMI 4K or Dr HDMI 8K between the Pi and the AVR and that way you have fun control of the EDID the Pi 'see's plus you can enable modes such as 'always on'.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom