VIDEO: LG Formally Announce 84" 4k UHD 3D TV

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
We certainly impressed by the LG Passive Cinema 3D system, the year just gone, and they're promising 'huge improvements' this year with a brand new proprietary chipset, the L9, featuring dual core ARM and quad core GPU processing.

They've also promised the Nano filter will be much better so we'll be hoping to see far less array banding and generally better uniformity. There's been no mention of an increase in the number of lighting zones but that's the sort of detail Phil and Steve may be able to get from the floor.

The Nano's will come in a range of sizes, 55, 60, 72, 84inch and each will sport a teensy 1.0mm bezel and an anorexic 28mm thick chassis

Look out for more on these in the early hours, when Steve and Phil will be interviewing George Mead on the stand.

Last edited:
We certainly impressed by the LG Passive Cinema 3D system, the year just gone, and they're promising 'huge improvements' this year with a brand new proprietary chipset, the L9, featuring dual core ARM and quad core GPU processing.

They've also promised the Nano filter will be much better so we'll be hoping to see far less array banding and generally better uniformity. There's been no mention of an increase in the number of lighting zones but that's the sort of detail Phil and Steve may be able to get from the floor.

The Nano's will come in a range of sizes, 55, 60, 72, 84inch and each will sport a teensy 1.0mm bezel and an anorexic 28mm thick chassis

Look out for more on these in the early hours, when Steve and Phil will be interviewing George Mead on the stand.

Hey Mark:), If i PM you some questions do you think Phil would pass them onto George :devil:, :D

No doubt we'll hear George giving us the usual rhetoric about how fantastic it's gonna be, heard it all before and when have their TVs ever lived up to expectation recently? 'Improved nano to reduce the banding', thought that's what this years Nano tech was supposed to achieve....
They've got some interesting tech on show there's no doubt about that and I really hope they're not all style over substance this year, be interesting to see what Phil and Steve make of this years models

Last edited:
Your right Andy, I was utterly disappointed when I heard the first mention of banding on the Nano 980T! I loved the look of my LX9900 but banding was just destroying it for me so opted for the Sony, here's hoping the lads get a right hands on look at these sets while their out there.

Your right Andy, I was utterly disappointed when I heard the first mention of banding on the Nano 980T! I loved the look of my LX9900 but banding was just destroying it for me so opted for the Sony, here's hoping the lads get a right hands on look at these sets while their out there.

Heyup fella :smashin:, Trouble is even for a couple of pld pros like Phil n steve :laugh: trying to gauge the PQ of a TV in them lights is a big task :eek::)

Heyup fella :smashin:, Trouble is even for a couple of pld pros like Phil n steve :laugh: trying to gauge the PQ of a TV in them lights is a big task :eek::)

Yeah your probably right Martin but hopefully they would spot the banding, my lounge is alway lit and I could see it no problem, the picture on my Sony is not as good as my LG was but it is minus the banding, I would go back to an LG backlit LED if 1. The banding was completely eradicated and 2. They got input lag figures below 30ms:smashin:

Video now added to first post. I don't know about anybody else but I find its proportions quite scary!

I notice that George dodged Steve's question as to whether output from 3D Blu-ray will be Full HD 1080p or not.

I notice that George dodged Steve's question as to whether output from 3D Blu-ray will be Full HD 1080p or not.

So would I, if were him. It's obviously as a result over the 'discussions' as to whether their existing 1080p Cinema 3D TVs produce full res from 3D Blu-ray, which of course they don't. I best add, in my opinion to that:D

Especially if they want to market the 4k screens as having 'better' 1080p 3d than their current range which already do 'full 1080p'... wonder what it'll be called Ultra 1080p 3d ? :D

I would assume like previous tech we'll see some larger sets at the start... then as the tech is marketed at lower price points over several years we'll see 'living room size' sets. I'd love a couple for 4k pc monitors myself :)

Do you guys know what's the brightness specifications of the 84"? in cd/m2?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom