1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Inputs/Outputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by littlecharva, Apr 28, 2004.

1. littlecharva

littlecharva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy,

I've just recently bought a Sony STRDB1070 second hand from a mate. I've ordered myself a Sony DVD/SACD player and some surround sound speakers, but I'm a bit confused by the amount of terminals on the back of my AV reciever.

I was under the impression that when my DVD player comes, I'll connect the audio using an optical cable to my AV reciever and connect the video to my TV using a SCART cable. So what are all the composite video and svideo in and out things for on my amp?

What are my options?

By the way, I'm new to this game, incase you haven't guessed :)

Cheers,
    LittleC

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi littlecharva & welcome to the forum!
    theres no problem with being new to this hobby, we all were at some point and the best way to lean is to do exactly as you have and ask.

Right, the video inputs on an AV receiver are there to make life easier :rolleyes: if you have more video sources than inputs on your TV. You can use the inputs into the AV so that as you switch the audio to say watch a DVD it will also switch the picture output to the TV.
    Most TV's will have say 2 scart sockets and you may have VCR, Sky, Freeview & DVD etc. If all connected through the AV there are no problems as you have around 8 inputs.
    If this is not a problem for you then connect the video output from the DVD directly to the TV and save some money on the extra cables that you would otherwise need.

Mark.

3. markshannon

markshannon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey,

just reading the below and i have similiar problems. I get the below but then how do i connect to the tv? i have a single phono monitor out connection on my av receiver and it says that i need to connect to video in on tv.... is that right? but the only vid in is on side of tv and in manual looks like 1 for consoles, vid cams etc.... can i still use that?

regards

mark

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You can use a lead with the single yellow video phono connection on one end (or better still use S-Video that your AV & TV should support) to a scart plug. Make sure that the lead is for video out of scart as all scart leads are directional.

Mark.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is better not to use the video switching on the amplifier unless you have good reason to do so and instead connect up the video signals directly from the source to the TV if possible as you would then get the purest signal path.

6. markshannon

markshannon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, dont think i explained things properly. Basically i want to connect all video connections to my receiver instead of scart to the tv. Then on the receiver there is a 'monitor out' single phono connection that goes to the tv to the 'video in' so when i choose dvd, sky etc on the receiver for sound it automatically sends the video to the tv as well.

sorry ian just read ur comment now.... but if i did want to do that, would i just connect to the side as explained above?

regards mark

only prob is that i have only got the 1 video in connection on the side that

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes - you could do that and you would end up watching composite signals which is the poorest quality that you can get or you could get a cable with a scart plug on one end and a phono on the other to connect to the rear of the TV but either way you will end up with much poorer quality pictures than if you connected your sources directly to the RGB enabled scart socket on the TV directly.