1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video inputs on Digital Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mrpickford, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mrpickford

mrpickford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sorry if this seems a dumb question but i was just wandering why my dolby digital/dts receiver has connections for video?

could somebody please tell me?

thanks

craig

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's simply so that you can use the receiver to switch between the video sources, and also use the on-screen display of the receiver if it has one.

Some receivers also have the ability to convert between different types of video signal, so that you can connect different kinds of sources (say, a DVD player via component, a VCR via composite video, and a game console via S-video) and output them all through the best available connection. Only a few receivers can downconvert from component to S-video or composite though, most that perform conversion can only upconvert to component and cross-convert between S-video and composite.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Video switching helps if inputs at the TV are limited (say you have a DVD player, VCR, X-Box, SAT receiver ...) but you have e.g. only two Scart sockets at the TV.
    Sometimes it's also used for convenience, even bettered with the video conversion as described by Zacabeb since it minimizes the number of cables between receiver and TV.

4. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm annoyed that manufacturers don't usually include RGB Scart switching on AV equipment.

Just been looking for some options for switching on my new NAD AV receiver, which will be arriving Monday. :) It has composite(3xRCA), S-Video and RGB (3xRCA, no sync switching) inputs and outputs, but they are not easily usable when all my equipment has RGB type Scarts. :rolleyes:

Would it cost so much more to make special versions for Europe? They seem to get the power supply bit right?

Probably easier to keep my manual scart switcher, in the short term anyway.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    T&A (a German high-end brand) and one or two Marantz top-of-the-line models have it.

I am afraid I have to dissappoint you: your receiver has component (YUV) switching, not RGB.
    That the 3 RCA connectors are colored red, green and blue is unfortunately very misleading.

It is however possible to switch RGB via the YUV connections, as long as you can also switch a composite signal at the same time (for the sync). All you need is a handful of adapter cables (Scart to RGB + Composite).

I guess cost is not an issue but space is. Scart connectors are soooo big, so they won't easily fit on the back of most AV amps/receivers where space is already tight.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    SCART connectors, whilst being convenient, actually deny flexibility, too. So many of the "how do I connect it all up" or "my picture is only B&W" (etc etc) questions on here are simply because of the existence of SCARTs. Often, this is simply because a SCART connector "assumes" that input and output are both going to the same destination, which is often not the case. Everywhere else outside of Europe (I think) seems to manage without them. Our problem with AV amps is not that they don't have SCARTs, but that everything else does (in many cases to the exclusion of more sensible connectors).

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Scarts are evil. And French.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Indeed. The Work Of The Devil (or the French!).