Video In on tv?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by markshannon, May 8, 2004.

1. markshannon

markshannon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Pioneer VSX D-912 Receiver and I am able to run video thro this. It mentions about a video cord (single phono lead) from the 'monitor out' on the receiver to the video in on my TV. The problem is that I don’t have a video in only on the side of my TV but that appears to be for video cameras, game consoles etc according to my tv handbook. Can I still use this?

Regards

Mark

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The video inputs on the side or front of your tv are perfectly usable for any source. Instruction books normally mention these as being for use with cameras, video games etc, but you can connect anything you like as long as the signal is compatible.

If you can, try to avoid connecting main source components to the receiver and aim to connect them directly to the tv. If you must use the receivers video inputs/outputs, then avoid composite video signals like the plague, and always try to use s-video.

Composite is alright if you just need to quickly access the receivers setup menu or connect a standard VHS video, but for dvd, Sky or Freeview it's nowhere near good enough.

3. markshannon

markshannon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tv has 2 scart..... 1 rgb and the other s-video! why is this? which should i connect to the rgb... sky or dvd?

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

The best setup for your system will depend on the following:

How many scart sockets are on the back of your dvd player, and how many items do you need to connect (and what are they)?

5. markshannon

markshannon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 scart on back of dvd.

sky and dvd are only things to connect

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In order to keep your components connected via high quality signals (ie. avoiding composite) your options are:

Connect Sky to the RGB capable scart ( make sure that in the digibox setup menu the "video output" setting shows "RGB" and not "PAL").

You can now connect the dvd player to the s-video capable scart. Either do this by looking in the dvd players setup menu and making sure that the scart is configured to output s-video or , if the dvd player doesn't allow this (some dvd players I've seen don't let you choose the signal outputted from the scart) buy an s-video to scart lead and connect the dvd player to the tv with this.

The drop in quality from RGB to s-video is subtle, while the difference between RGB and composite is drastic (although to some extent this will depend on the tv).

If you want to connect both components to the tv via RGB, then your only option is to buy a scart swithbox which is RGB capable. This will basically give you two RGB scart sockets, but you will have the added inconvenience of having to manually select which source you want to view, unless you get one of the more expensive auto switching units.

Hope this is of some help. :smoke:

7. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're really determined to run the dvd players video signal into the receiver, then you could do this by using an s-video lead from the dvd player to one of the receivers s-video inputs, and then run an s-video to scart lead from the receivers s-video output to the tvs' s-video capable scart. There is some debate as to whether or not the receivers video socketry degrades the picture, but in practice, most people are hard pressed to see any difference.

There really isn't any way to connect the digibox's video to the receiver, as this would mean using composite video, and the degradation in picture quality over a direct connection to the tv via RGB is just too great. The only way around this is if you have a sky+ box which has an s-video out, in which case you can connect it to the receiver in the same way as the dvd player.

8. markshannon

markshannon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh i have sky+ but think im just gonna leave scart connections as they are. Just seems a bit of a waste with all the connections on the back of my amp and not make use of em but if it means degrading picture then im not gonna bother!

thanks for your time

mark